“Former downtown brothel puts out hospitality and historical charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brownstone Inn Downtown

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Brownstone Inn Downtown
You added Brownstone Inn Downtown to your Saves list
3649 Prospect Ave., Cleveland, OH 44115-2703   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Southern Pines, North Carolina
“Former downtown brothel puts out hospitality and historical charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Okay. Here's a theme for you. Facing a second lay-off in two consecutive years, the wife and I decided to visit Cleveland and feel better about our lackluster professional lives. Fans of Anthony Bourdain and wanting to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for some time, we justified the mid-winter splurge with super-cheap Southwest airfare and scheduling an interview on the east side of Cleveland before our return home.
I seemed to remember rolling into CLE a bit late, but my wife and I were good communicators with our host and had no problem parking along the street, getting our room key, the nickel tour, and slipping under the covers for a decent night's sleep. Our second story room was functional and offered us a sleepy view of the wintry street below. Being an older structure with walls and floors that could talk, staying under the covers while the winds off Lake Erie blew by outside was imperative. [ROOMS-- 3.00 out of 5]
Innkeeper Robin has an entertaining, if not admirable, toughness about him. While I'd never call him at 1:30 in the morning to make a reservation, I did find his weighing in on local history, sightseeing, political corruption, et cetera, to be a big part of our delicious breakfast. Robin seemed dialed into what's going on in the world, and more importantly, exactly how much personality to dish out without overwhelming his guests. Still, I could see where the faint of heart might get rubbed the wrong way. [SERVICE-- 4.25 out of 5; DINING-- 4.50 out of 5]
The bang for your buck is pretty high here, especially weighing in the central location to Cleveland's top-notch culinary scene, world class museums, and nearby natural beauty. Granted, we visited in the dead of winter, but now that we call the eastside of Cleveland our home, we've had a wonderful time building on this initial weekend getaway to a very-much-alive city.
[VALUE-- 4.75 out of 5]

Room Tip: Think cozy, not posh.
Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The Innkeeper Robin was terrific! Absolutely excellent food and hospitality in a great location just minutes from the downtown. We were awestruck from the minute we stepped in the door. Comfortable beds, clean facilities, cozy rooms and public spaces...what more could you ask for?

Robin also keeps plenty of literature on hand - in addition to his vast knoweldge of the area - for anybody looking for fun things to do in the awesome city.

Room Tip: E-mailing is more effective than phone calls for communication.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

The Brownstone Inn Downtown was built in 1874 and is a lovely home, with wooden banisters, with a delightful array of antiques and portraits from the 19th century. I enjoyed the historical nuances such as the so-called English basement with a lengthy corridor as the “servant’s entrance”. The proprietor Robin had plenty of brochures handy to guide each of his guests in their daily plans and was a fount of knowledge about the history, transit system and activities going on in Cleveland. He cooked a tasty breakfast each morning, varying the egg/meat accompaniment from mushrooms to asparagus to collard greens over the days of my stay.

While the immediate walking vicinity is pretty deserted, for those visiting without their own car, thankfully the “Health Line” (an accordion bus with a designated lane) runs every 5-15 minutes up and down Euclid Avenue and connects two interesting areas of Cleveland: Downtown and University Circle. There are ticket-dispensing machines at each “Health Line” stop, where I would purchase a $5 day pass, which one can use on the “Health Line”, rapid trains (red, blue, green lines) or RTA buses. From the Brownstone Inn, I tended to head over to “Asia Town” for supper, which was about a 10-15 minute walk from the B&B.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

The Brownstone an absolute taste of a bygone era. From the moment you walk-in, Robin Yates, the Innkeeper, delights you with his gorgeous restoration of a Brownstone Building in downtown Cleveland.
Sitting at breakfast in the dining room and listening to 91.5FM with it's jazz and ragtime music softly playing you can't help but get to leave a little of your heart.
Robin was a superb tour guide and let me see the bustling revival of Cleveland...... can go on and on ......but words in a nutshell - GORGEOUS, AWESOME,SPLENDID,DELIGHTFUL just spring to mind!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

The room itself was nice and clean, no complaints about that. But these good aspects were completely overshadowed by the unpleasant and snooty demeanour of the the proprietor Robyn. Both my wife and I found him to be quite off-putting and sarcastic. Some may find himn "eccentric" we just found him obnoxious We drove 6 hours through the rain and arrive about 45 minutes late and he gave us an attitude for being late. The breakfast was of very poor quality.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

My stay at Brownstone Inn Downtown Cleveland has been a wonderful
experience for many reasons. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars in each category, and would recommend this Inn to any visitor of Cleveland without reservation.

First, Brownstone Inn is a beautifully restored Victorian building with great period furniture and design. Robin, the owner of the Inn, graciously gave a tour of the floors and explained the history and restoration of the building. The rooms are elegantly appointed. The bed in my room is incredibly comfortable (with very soft and fluffy coverings) - I fell asleep quickly and woke up refreshed. The gorgeous dinning room has a fireplace, adding warmth and coziness to cold, snowy days. Robin, the wonderful owner of the Inn, serves great breakfast in this dinning room each morning.

Second, the Inn is at a great location. It is only one block from the Healthline Bus (serves Cleveland Clinic, among others), which can take you to University Circle on the east side (where you will find Cleveland Art Museum, Natural History Museum and Botanic Garden) or Tower City on the west side (where you can catch the Redline to the airport) in a few minutes. I have no trouble finding the Inn at all even though it is my first visit of the city. To grab a quick bite, you will find a Subway within easy walking distance to the Inn.

Last but certainly not the least, Robin is the perfect host. Friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, he gives easy directions so you can find whatever attraction you may be looking for. He is also a truly caring person with a passion for the city, its history, architecture and culture. He makes Brownstone Inn a home away from home and a perfect choice to stay for a visit of Cleveland.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
ST.Paul, mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

My son's secton swimming meet was scheduled the last week of February in Cleveland, Imagine my delight.. I thougt I would try abed and breakfast located close to the meet. I was so thrilled with the Brownstone Inn. The Inn was charming, clean, and comfortable. The best part however, is Robin Yates , the proprietor. He truly is "Mr. Cleveland". He was so informative and helpful, he totally enriched my trip to Cleveland. And most imprtant of all he served me the most fabulous home made breakfasts every day. All this for $89.00 a night. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! I would return to stay there in a heart beat--Preferably in the summer. Also thanks Robin for sending my scarf to me. I feel like I have a new best friend in Cleveland. Jan Schultz -Minneapolis/ Srt paul.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Brownstone Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!