“Brownstone Inn: handsome B&B 20 blocks outside the downtown core” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brownstone Inn Downtown

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
Brownstone Inn Downtown
Save Saved
You added Brownstone Inn Downtown to your Saves list
3649 Prospect Ave., Cleveland, OH 44115-2703   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Montreal
“Brownstone Inn: handsome B&B 20 blocks outside the downtown core”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

The Brownstone Inn Downtown was built in 1874 and is a lovely home, with wooden banisters, with a delightful array of antiques and portraits from the 19th century. I enjoyed the historical nuances such as the so-called English basement with a lengthy corridor as the “servant’s entrance”. The proprietor Robin had plenty of brochures handy to guide each of his guests in their daily plans and was a fount of knowledge about the history, transit system and activities going on in Cleveland. He cooked a tasty breakfast each morning, varying the egg/meat accompaniment from mushrooms to asparagus to collard greens over the days of my stay.

While the immediate walking vicinity is pretty deserted, for those visiting without their own car, thankfully the “Health Line” (an accordion bus with a designated lane) runs every 5-15 minutes up and down Euclid Avenue and connects two interesting areas of Cleveland: Downtown and University Circle. There are ticket-dispensing machines at each “Health Line” stop, where I would purchase a $5 day pass, which one can use on the “Health Line”, rapid trains (red, blue, green lines) or RTA buses. From the Brownstone Inn, I tended to head over to “Asia Town” for supper, which was about a 10-15 minute walk from the B&B.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

The Brownstone an absolute taste of a bygone era. From the moment you walk-in, Robin Yates, the Innkeeper, delights you with his gorgeous restoration of a Brownstone Building in downtown Cleveland.
Sitting at breakfast in the dining room and listening to 91.5FM with it's jazz and ragtime music softly playing you can't help but get to leave a little of your heart.
Robin was a superb tour guide and let me see the bustling revival of Cleveland...... can go on and on ......but words in a nutshell - GORGEOUS, AWESOME,SPLENDID,DELIGHTFUL just spring to mind!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

The room itself was nice and clean, no complaints about that. But these good aspects were completely overshadowed by the unpleasant and snooty demeanour of the the proprietor Robyn. Both my wife and I found him to be quite off-putting and sarcastic. Some may find himn "eccentric" we just found him obnoxious We drove 6 hours through the rain and arrive about 45 minutes late and he gave us an attitude for being late. The breakfast was of very poor quality.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

My stay at Brownstone Inn Downtown Cleveland has been a wonderful
experience for many reasons. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars in each category, and would recommend this Inn to any visitor of Cleveland without reservation.

First, Brownstone Inn is a beautifully restored Victorian building with great period furniture and design. Robin, the owner of the Inn, graciously gave a tour of the floors and explained the history and restoration of the building. The rooms are elegantly appointed. The bed in my room is incredibly comfortable (with very soft and fluffy coverings) - I fell asleep quickly and woke up refreshed. The gorgeous dinning room has a fireplace, adding warmth and coziness to cold, snowy days. Robin, the wonderful owner of the Inn, serves great breakfast in this dinning room each morning.

Second, the Inn is at a great location. It is only one block from the Healthline Bus (serves Cleveland Clinic, among others), which can take you to University Circle on the east side (where you will find Cleveland Art Museum, Natural History Museum and Botanic Garden) or Tower City on the west side (where you can catch the Redline to the airport) in a few minutes. I have no trouble finding the Inn at all even though it is my first visit of the city. To grab a quick bite, you will find a Subway within easy walking distance to the Inn.

Last but certainly not the least, Robin is the perfect host. Friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, he gives easy directions so you can find whatever attraction you may be looking for. He is also a truly caring person with a passion for the city, its history, architecture and culture. He makes Brownstone Inn a home away from home and a perfect choice to stay for a visit of Cleveland.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
ST.Paul, mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

My son's secton swimming meet was scheduled the last week of February in Cleveland, Imagine my delight.. I thougt I would try abed and breakfast located close to the meet. I was so thrilled with the Brownstone Inn. The Inn was charming, clean, and comfortable. The best part however, is Robin Yates , the proprietor. He truly is "Mr. Cleveland". He was so informative and helpful, he totally enriched my trip to Cleveland. And most imprtant of all he served me the most fabulous home made breakfasts every day. All this for $89.00 a night. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! I would return to stay there in a heart beat--Preferably in the summer. Also thanks Robin for sending my scarf to me. I feel like I have a new best friend in Cleveland. Jan Schultz -Minneapolis/ Srt paul.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Lovely B&B in downtown Cleveland, central to everything! Robin was a gracious and helpful host, and the quaint, historic feel of the inn makes for a great stay for the weekend or a longer stay.

Due to the building's age, the inn is not very handicap-accessible, which was not an issue for me. I believe Robin would have been upfront with this, had it been an issue.

Overall, great B&B. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

We cannot thank the Innkeeper enough for such a wonderful experience in such a perfectly wonderful period house. Robin was there to attend to our every need. He made us feel like movie stars. We felt like Audrey Hepburn coming and going into glamorous, cosmopolitan, yet comfortable, warm and casual surroundings at the Brownstone Inn. No detail was left unattended, from luxurious baths fully furnished with the best personal care products to the lavish, wonderful breakfast in the formal diningroom that somehow feels like home. Robin Yates goes out of his way to make sure his guests feel pampered and at home. He is the quintessential host, and his knowledge of Cleveland both past and present is unsurpassed. He peaked our curiousity and made us do a little exploring on our own. Guess what,? ? We discovered that Cleveland is an absolute world class city. Thank you Robin for a great experience. We will surely stay here againj.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Brownstone Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!