“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one Friday evening and enjoyed our stay. Valet was kind and helpful. Quick to get our vehicle. We did not interact much with the staff, but when we did it was pleasant. Room was updated and clean. Breakfast was Hampton standard. Staff kept it well stocked.

Our visit was to explore Cleveland so we didn't stay in the hotel much. Centrally located so we were able to walk to various tourist destinations.

• Stayed October 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
greenie2010,
Thank you for writing a review about your experience with us at Hampton Inn. We're glad you chose to stay with us while visiting our great city of Cleveland. I hope you enjoyed seeing all that Cleveland offers. I'm glad you liked our hotel and staff as well. Please plan to visit us again soon.

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was driving in from PA and knew that I would have a late arrival/check in. I called the hotel around 9pm. The lady on the phone was nice and said checking in late was not a problem. She checked me in over the phone and said all I'd need to show was my id and credit card. We arrived at 2am, didn't know (or see) anyone outside (valet). We ended up parking our car in the nearby garage. Definately do not recommend parking there. Witnessed a guy almost beating up his girlfriend. We quickly walked to the hotel, a guy is outside yelling at the security guy, that he just got robbed. We walk in, and the person behind the desk was dispatching security to a room (again). We stood there for a couple of minutes before she acknowledged us. I know it was late, and she was busy, but she was not friendly or welcoming. I told her I called and needed to check in. I showed her my confirmation and she claims that I'm not registered and they are completely booked. Not helpful or friendly whatsoever, and after everything we witnessed just walking in, I was starting to second guess and doubt what kind of place we were at to begin with. She finally finds my name. (Apparently having a last name that is a color is difficult to spell) We asked what to do with our car and we were rudely told that valet is our only option. Mind you, there was no one outside. We got our car out of the garage and pulled up to the door, had to wait about 5-10 minutes for the one person working. He was very nice and apologized for the delay. In the morning, we did enjoy the breakfast buffet and coffee--very good. The staff at the front desk was VERY nice; extremely pleasant and helpful; completely different from the night before. Valet had 3 or 4 people working; all very nice. The room was nice, very clean and comfortable. Overall, our stay was decent. Not sure if I would completely recommend this hotel to anyone or stay there again myself. Our first impression at check in was terrible.

CSW320,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. We appreciate you staying with us at Hampton Inn. I'm glad you liked our hotel and enjoyed our breakfast buffet. I apologize for the night staff being overwhelmed during your visit and hope their conduct will, in no way, deter you from staying with us again. I will make sure to review your comments with our night staff so they can be better prepared for late arrivals and remain friendly to all of our guests. We hope you will come and visit us again the next time you travel to Cleveland.
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I drove into Cleveland Sunday late afternoon. When I arrived at the Hampton Inn, I was happy to see that it was in the center of the city and near the lake (0.7miles). When I went to the front desk the receptionist just looked at me with a blank stare. Instead of her greeting me and welcoming me, I had to greet her with a friendly hello. Even then she was not friendly...
She simply asked for my ID and credit card. When I inquired about having a room away from the elevator and on a higher floor she ignored my question. I then asked her what time breakfast started, as I had an early morning and had to leave by 630am the next morning. She sort of chuckled and said with a smirk the time. It was as if I was bothering her. I never truly understand why miserable people choose to be in customer services if they are not friendly and a people person.
When I again asked another question-whether it was ok to park my car across the street she told me that my car would be towed at 10pm if I left it overnight. I told her the street sign said no parking from 7am to 4pm and nowhere did I see a sign for no overnight parking. She simply shrugged and said nothing further.
Luckily, a friendly staff memeber, Roy, walked by at the time I was asking this question and simply told me I would be fine to leave my car on the street as long as I moved it by 7am. Finally, a friendly person with helpful advice.
When I came back down to the lobby to go look for something to eat, I again had the unfortunate luck of having to deal with the moody front desk lady. She simply told me nothing in the area was open, and that was it!! I stood for a moment wondering what was wrong with this lady and why was she so unhelpful.
I then walked outside where I was greeted by a great staff of valet men. They were very kind and told me the nearby restaurants to eat at and the exact location. I was grateful that besides the receptionist everyone else at the hotel was friendly and helpful.
Upon returning to the hotel, I was craving the famous chocolate chip cookies. When I asked again the lady at the front desk she just told me they didnt have any. Luckily for me, Roy again was walking by at the moment and told me he would go check to see if any cookies where left. When he came back to tell me there were none, even though I was craving the cookies, I wasn't as dissappointed b/c Roy took the time to check rather than the crabby receptionist who always had a negative response to anything I asked.
I believe the Hampton Inn would greatly benefit from removing that receptionist from her customer service roll and instead would benefit from the other employees like Roy or the valet men to be in her place.

Room Tip: Room on a high floor on the northeast side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
llcChicago,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your experience with us at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown. We're pleased you chose to stay with us while visiting Cleveland. I have read your comments and will act upon them appropriately. Thank you for highlighting Roy's exceptional service and the friendliness of our valet staff. I'm pleased to know that they showcased what our staff is really like and how much we want our guests to not only enjoy their stay with us, but also their time in Cleveland. We hope your journeys will bring you back to Cleveland and you'll stay with us again.
Bellbrook, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Clean room, great breakfast, and friendly front desk and valet staff. Our room was right across from elevators. Both mornings the cleaning staff were banging and extremely loud at 8:00am. Very annoying!! We have stayed at this hotel several times and always been happy, I am sure this was just a one time thing. Love the new breakfast area!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Stevico,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Hampton Inn. We're happy you enjoyed your visit, especially the new breakfast area. I apologize for the cleaning staff's early arrival. I will take special note of this and speak with our staff about it. We hope you'll come and visit us again in Cleveland.
Greenwood, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

They put me on the end of the hotel on a Thursday night, not telling me the garbage dumpsters outside get emptied at 5am on Friday. Also, you cannot walk up to the 2nd floor. They have no stairs. You must take the elevator one floor up. Their website also didn't say anything about "you must valet park". The valets told me if I parked on the street my car would either be stolen or broken into. They also wouldn't give me late check out so I could keep my bags in the room until 3pm. Not every guest checks in at 3pm, so I don't see what the issue was.

Room Tip: Get an interior room if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
FunrunJJ,
Thank you for your feedback. We value your business and appreciate you staying with us at Hampton Inn. I regret that your stay with us was not a satisfying one. I apologize for the early morning garbage removal awakening you, due to our location most downtown businesses have early morning trash pickup prior to the morning rush. This is also a reason why we only offer valet parking as listed on our website. There is public parking blocks away from the hotel but none of them allow overnight parking and being downtown, street parking is not allowed. We strive to receive the highest satisfaction possible from all of our guests so it is unfortunate that we could not honor your late check-out request due to multiple groups that were arriving Friday afternoon. I hope your experience will not prevent you from returning to our property. I hope you will have another opportunity to visit us, and your satisfaction will be much improved.
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I spent a getaway weekend here, Oct 5-7. Our king room was very clean, well appointed with a hair dryer, iron, ironing board, toiletries, desk, flat screen tv and closet. We didn't have a view, but we pretty much only slept in the room anyway. Speaking of which, the bed was soooo comfy! There is no on site parking and we chose to just use the $20/night valet parking. There are lots of garages within walking distance. We did not price them. The hotel is within walking distance of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Great Lakes Science Center, the Horseshoe casino and the football stadium. The included continental breakfast was awesome. Lots of hot foods. Eggs, sausage, pancakes, make your own waffles and oatmeal. There was fresh fruit, various pastries, bagels, muffins and yogurt. Coffee and a number of juices were available. The one morning out of two that we were there, we had to take our breakfast back to the room due to no seating available. Elevator service was fast. You can call down ahead from your room to have a valet bring your car around before you head down. Shortens any wait that way. Check in and out was super easy. All employees were polite. We were thanked numerous times for staying there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Mommy2My4Kids,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us at Hampton Inn for a getaway weekend. I'm glad you liked our hotel as well as our friendly staff. I hope you also enjoyed all of the great venues surrounding us and found Cleveland to be a great city to visit. We welcome you to come and stay with us again soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

The hotel overall is very nice, great location, and very clean. However while we were out at night we came back to our hotel room to find that someone was in our room, went through our stuff and stole 500 dollars worth of electronics. When we confronted the hotel staff about this they could do nothing. No cameras in the hallways. The hotels policy is to put valuables in the hotel safety deposit box when your not in the room, to have to bring your laptop or tablet to the front desk every time you want to go somewhere is a little crazy. So it only cost us an additional 500 dollars to stay here. If you like to bring your electronics out of town with you, then this place is not for you.

• Stayed October 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Awestfall

Thank you for recognizing our hotel and its location & cleanliness, I’d like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your visit. I was made aware that you reported some items missing from your room during your stay. I’m pleased to see our staff handled it properly and immediately notified the local police that spoke with you.

I left a voicemail for you in your room on Monday in an attempt to connect with you to discuss this and the damaged toilet our staff found in your room. I’m sorry we never had the chance to discuss this in person. I was trying to contact you to let you know I instructed our maintenance team to interrogate the lock in your room and review the readings with you I wanted to share the printed lock trail with you as it indicated the keys issued to you upon check in were the only keys to open the lock that day. On Saturday October 6th our staff serviced the room and made it available to occupy at 2:40pm. The lock trail coincided with your check in time on October 6th at 5:05pm when you were issued 2 keys, the first key was inserted into the lock at 5:23pm and the lock was again opened at 6:40pm by the same key. On October 7th your first issued key opened the lock at 3:50am, Additional openings were made by the second key issued to you at 4:11am, 4:48am, and the first key again at 9:46am. The records indicate that a member of housekeeping then entered your room at 1:31pm to provide housekeeping service.

Our records indicate you also had another room checked in under your name for the same dates. Perhaps someone traveling with you picked up your items and may not have realized it? Is it possible that you left your items behind in one of the local restaurants or establishments you visited? I’d be happy to assist you in contacting them to see if any lost and found items were turned in if you would like. If I can be of further assistance or you would like to discuss this in detail please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you.

Been to Hampton Inn Cleveland Downtown? Share your experiences!