“Very good modern Asian cuisine.” 4 of 5 stars

216-767-1111
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
SASAmatsu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 1,705 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Doing business
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shaker Blvd
Transit: SASA is on the Rapid Transit Line--Shaker Square stop.
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very good modern Asian cuisine.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

They have a large menu of interesting Japanese and Asian dishes. They have 'small dishes', 'medium dishes', and a few 'large dishes' as well as sushi, sashimi, salads, etc. The waiter told us that the medium dishes were like a main course for one person and the large dishes would serve two. My wife and I shared one large and two small dishes. The large was the Seafood Sampler ($24). It was a delicious combination of dishes but definitely not enough for two people. We also had the Shishito Peppers ($7) and the SASA Fries ($6). The peppers came with onions and had a great sauce. The waiter said the peppers were hot, but they weren't and didn't have much of any flavor at all. I wouldn't order this again. The fries were excellent. For drinks, I had a sampler of 5 sakis ($10). This was a lot of fun - all of them were good and each had a distinct flavor. My wife had a Pumpkin Spice martini which was excellent but a bit pricey at $9. The service was generally good although it took a while for our drinks to arrive. The decor is modern and, unlike some 'modern' restaurants, I found it very attractive. I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Moreland Hills, Ohio
“This place is a treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is one of the best Japanese resturants in the US. It is really a Cleveland treasure.

I have been going to this resturant for years, both in its current form and in its previous location. The food is excellent. It reminds me of many upscale resturants I've eaten in in Tokyo or Osaka except for two things--the portion size is a lot larger, and the price is a lot lower.

The fusion menu is a lot of fun, and the specials are quite good. One thing that is truly excellent is the sushi. They use the correct Nishiki rice (most places in town skimp on this), and the ratio of rice/fish is correct. They will make your sushi with large amounts of rice if you want it American style.

I could go on about the details of this resturant, but you should try it for yourself. You will be very pleasantly suprised when you compare it to more famous resturants in New York or Los Angeles.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbus
“Great evening of sushi and small plates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went with my husband on a hot evening, but sat outside in the shade anyway and had a lovely evening. Nice drink menu (had two fabulous cocktails) and plate after plate of gorgeous, delicious food. Service was attentive without being intrusive (I think our waitress was Emily, who was great). They way the food came out kind of gave the evening a tapas in Japan feeling. I liked it. Would go back again in heart-beat.

Visited May 2012
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is always delicious and the prices are reasonable for the quality. The service is top notch as well. It's the best inland sushi I've had.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Altadena, California
“Creative delicious Japanese food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I were visiting Cleveland, and insisted on going back to Sasa which we had visited on previous visits. The menu is varied and everything is delicious! There are choices of small plates, medium plates and large plates, along with sushi, sashimi, and more. You can order as you go, which makes for a nice leisurely meal with opportunities to try different things.

We started with the SasaFries, which are delicious & crispy, and come with a spicy aioli sauce and a sort of plum sauce. We also had the Salt & Pepper Mackerel (not my fish, but my 2 year old nephew LOVES it;) the yellowtail collar; yellowtail & salmon sashimi; Chicken Takikomi Rice; Buddy Buddy roll (tuna, salmon, yellowtail with avocado,tobiko and ikura;) lamb shank stew (a special that was amazing;) and fried shishito peppers.

The desserts are also amazing! The chef/owner is a master at frozen yogurt & sorbets, and they are well worth trying. We had the Ginger Caramel ice cream and the grapefruit sorbet. And we also tried the seasonal dessert...Half baked yam with homemade pumpkin ice cream and cinnamon. Oh My Gosh! What a taste sensation!!

We didn't take advantage of "I Love Sushi Tuesday" but there some great "bento box" deals. Next time...for sure!

This food is wonderful, the service is warm & friendly, and it's always one of our foodie highlights in Cleveland.

• Visited November 2011