“worst place ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Hotel and Suites

Save Saved
You added University Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
University Hotel and Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3614 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115 (Formerly Days Inn & Suites Cleveland Downtown)   |
Ranked #28 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Morley, Michigan
“worst place ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Most disgusting place I have ever stayed. It took three times to even get a room I could sleep for a couple hours. Dirty carpets, unclean sheets with hair in them, pubic hair behind toilet seat, sunflower seed shells spit on the lobby floor still there in the morning, and marijuana smell coming from bathroom vent!!!!!! Do not book a room here!

Room Tip: Nothing completely disgusting!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Welland, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights April 18th to 20th 2014.
My first thoughts upon arriving was this is not a very attractive place, but upon entering to check in , my first thoughts were this isn't that bad, I was expecting the worst after reading all of the reviews here on Trip Advisor before booking it, but for the price, proximity to public transportation and the downtown core of Cleveland, Ohio it was worth the money we paid for the two days.
They had a clean lobby, friendly and helpful staff at the front counter, our room on the 7th floor was quiet even though the hotel was pretty much fully booked for the Toronto Blue Jays vs Cleveland Indians baseball series in town that weekend.
Our room was in need of some updating, had older carpet, and a tube TV but it served it's purpose for our needs., I took the stairs up and down everyday and that it probably the worst of this hotel, it appears as though people are too lazy to go outside to have a cigarette and some people were smoking in the stairwell, I never seen anyone first hand, but there was cig butts and ashes on a few floors, I think the staff needs to stress the danger of this practice to it's customers, it is a health and safety issue for everyone else staying there.
The free WIFI internet worked great up on the 7th floor, the bathroom was really clean, great water pressure, clean towels & face cloths, soap and shampoo, small refrigerator and clean pillows, sheets & comforters. We had a good nights sleep both nights with no issues.
I would stay here again, it is worth the money when visiting Cleveland, Ohio and wanting to stay within the downtown vicinity.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Don't go here.

We made a reservation for one room with two queen beds for two nights. The first night we got in around ten from out of town, checked in, got up to our room--and it was filthy. Blankets turned back, towels on the bathroom floor. So we went back to the front desk, got the room changed, no big deal, right?

The kids climbed into one bed and fell asleep, my fellow and I stayed up reading for another hour or two. When it came time for us to sleep, we flipped back the blankets, and a filthy--really grimy!--pair of men's underwear came tumbling out of them. The sheets had never been changed; the bed had simply been made around the dirty sheets that someone else had slept in.

Grossed out, I went downstairs to ask for new sheets. The girls were asleep, it was nearly one in the morning and we had to be up at seven. Another room change at that hour would have seen me with a pair of really cranky kids on my hands, so I thought we'd just change the sheets and talk to the manager in the morning. I wait at the front desk for (according to the clock) nearly 35 minutes before the desk manager returns with my sheets in hand. "I had to pull them from a dryer, that's why they're not folded!" he said, and pushed them into my hands. Exhausted, I trundle back into the elevator and up to the room.

And when I unfold the sheet, it's got angular, stiff stains of a yellowish shade. Someone had ejaculated all over it. Maybe it had just come from the dryer, but I assure you I'd never seen a washer.

I was furious. In the morning, when the owner arrived, I went downstairs while the girls were eating and he told me it was early, I should come back later. We were just about to leave, so I told him that wasn't possible; he said he'd heard what happened, and (in a bad temper) that he'd comp the room.

And then (surprise, surprise!) refused to, when it actually came time to pay.

Don't go here! Don't ever go here. It's foul, the cleaning staff is evidently incompetent, and the manager is a dick.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

rude, unfriendly, snappy service staff
unclean, messy, small rooms
If you can find a different place, by all means go there. This joint is not good enough even for two nights. I asked for a box cutter or a knife to open my parcel, the rude reception person treated me like a common convict! These people don't have the most basic idea of hospitality management.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I thought this hotel was great! Very clean, beds were so comfy, staff was above and beyond friendly. The restaurant downstairs is very good. It is a good location and the price is very reasonable. $5 for the whole day bus stop right outside the door, which I believe is the best way to get around Cleveland as parking seems to be costly or scarce.
I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Was surprised by the negative reviews. Yes this is by no means luxury accommodations, but for the price point and location, we were happy. Shower was pretty bad, breakfast was unappetizing, and rooms are outdated, but for a guys weekend, this place was perfect.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

very close to the hospitals, they provide a shuttle to get back and forth to the hospital, that way you don't have to pay for parking or deal with traffic. its very quaint and the staff are so nice and friendly. the rooms are average as well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to University Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!