“Don't let other reviews scare you off!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of University Hotel and Suites

Save Saved
You added University Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
University Hotel and Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3614 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115 (Formerly Days Inn & Suites Cleveland Downtown)   |
Ranked #28 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Don't let other reviews scare you off!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

If you are looking for a place to catch some sleep that's affordable and located minutes from the Clevand Clinic (with a free shuttle service) this is it. No, it's not the Hyatt or the Intercontinental and if that's the quality you are looking for go ahead and pay 250.00 a night. If you're not on a champagne budget: the beds were clean and comfortable, the bathroom was clean, there was a refrigerator and microwave in the room and the staff was very very nice. In fact, the employee we spoke to went out of his way to make the shuttle available for us and set up a predetermined pick up time which he arrived for right on schedule. My mother and I stayed here on a Saturday night and as far as loud parties or sketchy people lurking around we witnessed no such thing. I would definitely stay here again if I'm going to have to be in town for the Cleveland Clinic. Its not a 5 star hotel, you get what you pay for...for 60 bucks a night we had a great nights sleep at a perfectly adequate hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

I have traveled all over the country and have never stayed in such a filthy, disgusting, unfriendly place. I used this 'hotel' for a visit to Cleveland Clinic. That was my main focus while there, but I have to go back so now I have the time to realize what I was experiencing while there. They advertise free continental breakfast and shuttle service to and from the Clinic. As for the breakfast, it consisted of stale bagels and stale cereals along with fruit that was old. The coffee was not in pots, but in pump style dispensers. The coffee was rancid. It seemed as if the containers hadn't been cleaned in some time if ever. I'm not sure, but the smell of the coffee seemed as if what was left over from the day before was simply topped off. As for the shuttle service, they got me there ok, but when it was time to return, I called the front desk as instructed. The time was 3:00 and I had outpatient surgery. At 4:00, I called back since I was still in the same location. It turned out the person at the front desk relayed the wrong location. That was on top of them telling me their van had broken down earlier in the day and they were using a Blazer type vehicle. At 5:00, I called again and was told to 'be patient'. At 6:30, I went out to one of the 'white line' public transport vehicles to ask what it would take to get me back to the hotel. This person had no connection to the hotel at all, but I was not on his route. He got on his radio to his dispatch and then they sent a van just for me and my wife. They would accept no payment, so kudos to Cleveland Public Transport. I finally arrived back at the hotel at 7:45. That's right, four and 3/4 hours from my initial call. Pathetic. The hotel said 'at least we got you back'. 'They' didn't get me back at all. I was offered no apology. The room was dirty. As stated before, I travel a bit, so I had my own sheets, pillow cases, and blankets. It was a good thing as the ones provided had stains and dirt covering them. My wife wanted a pizza the first evening and as we aren't familiar with the area, we called the front desk for the nearest Pizza Hut. We were provided the number to some pizzeria that the hotel obviously has business ties to. I used GPS to find the nearest Pizza Hut and dealt with that on my own. At checkout, I asked for a receipt for my insurance as I receive a partial reimbursement for medical travel. The manager would provide me with only a receipt for the last night stayed as the others were booked through Expedia. This was between his ranting, raving, cursing temper tantrum about his employees toward the shuttle driver over his missing stapler. I have to return in a few weeks and would never stay here again, but at that time I was the only one with this knowledge. I asked about booking another stay for my return trip for the sole reason of having a reason to tell the manager of my dissatisfaction with my current stay with no intention of rebooking. It was a good thing as with absolutely no knowledge of my intent, he told me that he was too busy. When I inquired if he was too busy running his business to take a customer's money, he became belligerent to point of threatening bodily harm on someone who had just had surgery the day before. I don't back down easily, so when I called him on his challenge, he cowered behind his desk and threatened to call the police after he initiated the altercation. I should have took him up on his offer as I had the whole incident on video through my iphone.
Bottom line, if you need a hotel bad enough to stay here, you are better off sleeping in your car or in an alley. Stay away from this place and all who are affiliated.

Room Tip: Choose a room from another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
UnivHotel-Cleveland, Manager at University Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
JR DEC 17 REVIEW ON TRIP ADVISOR

1. Hotel offer continental breakfast and coffee is brew fresh daily.
Photos available.

2. Hotel Ford shuttle van had a radiator leak at 9am and sent to
the repair shop for emergency repair.

3. Public transit available on Euclid Ave. every 10 minutes East
and West bound. Taxi service available at the Hotel and
Cleveland Clinic.

4. Hotel rooms are set-up with clean linen after each guest checkout.

5. All employees and Hotel front desk agents are professional.

6. The Hotel will call the police department. When a guest is rude
like J.R. and distrub the front desk Hotel business operations.
Arizona City, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

For the price close to the Cleveland Clinic, you can`t beat it, not a place to bring the family but if you have business in Cleveland or if your going to the clinic I would recomend it, I will for sure stay there again, I was warned though by the taxi driver that dropped me off and by the Hotel staff, Don`t wonder around that neighborhood, The Bison Burgers that they serve in their restaurant are excellent!
Two brothers that I spoke that were in the lobby the next morning said they took a a taxi ride to Little Italy that was only two blocks away and they said that was real cool! a fun place to hang out and the Pizza they had was the best!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

As we drove to the hotel from I-90 W, we were surprised at the number of shuttered buildings and closed businesses. Although it is near the university, the access route was disconcerting. I would not have walked outside in the evening. The staff was nice, but not very knowledgeable about local restaurants etc. The room was moderately clean but, the shower had hair and a jam like substance on the wall. Where were the cleaners. the continental breakfast was minimal and the coffee was extremely weak. Both of us were wakened in the night by screaming next door.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

There were roaches in my bed, when I went to complain the desk clerk was unresponsive. He told me that because I had been there 17 minutes instead of less than 15 minutes he could not refund my money. I called the next morning and spoke with the Manager, Peter who was also unresponsive.

I have contacted the Cleveland Board of Health, Action News, and the BBB. This place needs to be condemned. It is scary, nasty, covered in bugs, prostitutes frequent this place. It is just all around horrible. Obviously I did not know this prior to going there. I stayed there a couple of times back in 2005. The Cleveland Clinic used to refer people to stay here about 6 years ago. I pray to God they have stopped.

Please don't risk your health, and sanity for the cheaper rate, it is not at all worth it.!
I don't know how they could even still be a licensed business, especially being in downtown Cleveland where they are trying to revamp. The other businesses in the area should be trying to help get these people closed down. I travel all over the country and now have a phobia and fear that I am going to find bugs again. I ask to see a room before I will even book it. I also won't even go near a hotel unless it's one of the bigger franchises now. I never thought something so silly could be so traumatic for me.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011 via mobile

Fleas and dirty rooms. Even from the outside the hotel didnt seem clean and it just got worse as you go inside.

• Stayed August 2011
Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at University Hotel and Suites on May 28th. We checked in around 4pm and quickly dropped off our luggage and left for dinner. We paid in cash for our stay. After dinner we came back very late and when we laid down in the bed we discovered that the bed had a slant to it. It was too late to try to figure it out and decided to go to bed and let the front desk know in the morning. When we woke up we took at look at the bed to see what was wrong with it. We noticed that the bed frame was held together were twist ties and the ties were broken thus the bed was not being held up properly. Upon moving the covers to see what the issue was with the bed we discovered a used condom in our bed. I immediately told my boyfriend to get everything together and I went down to tell the front desk. She told me that Peter the manager was not in and he would call me first thing on Monday morning. She said Peter would give me a full refund. I did not hear from Peter or anyone else this morning (May 30th) so I called. He was very unhelpful and said he would give me a partial night refund because of the housekeeping issue. This is downright unacceptable! I paid 68 dollars for a room that had a broken bed and a used condom in my sheets. That’s more than a housekeeping issue and deserves and entire night refund. Horrible customer service! I told him I would be contacting the BBB and he said "that’s your choice" and hung up. I never received and apology for what happened.
In addition: The "contenintal breakfast" has bread and a few other items that were stale/molded. I couldnt anything out of the breakfast room if I wanted to so IF I had found a piece of bread that wasnt molded I wouldnt have been able to bring it up to my boyfriend in the room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to University Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!