“A Fine Place to Stay for a Downtown Cleveland Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 33 hotels in Cleveland
Toronto, Ontario
“A Fine Place to Stay for a Downtown Cleveland Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Downtown Cleveland while on a recreational junket to Cleveland, and found it to be perfectly functional in the context of the “mid-range, chain hotel” market. Devoid of any combination of luxury, uniqueness, or aesthetic appeal, but perfectly functional. Our check-in was friendly and fast, as was our check-out. Lobby, halls and our room were all clean to the naked eye. Parking was pretty handy and I thought reasonably priced, just across a back lane. We didn’t sample the breakfast. The view from our room was uninspiring, being the tar roof of part of the building, Euclid Avenue, and a few high-rise walls. The location, however, was pretty good: I’d estimate 15 minutes to walk to Progressive Field, and about 30 to walk to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Depending on your sensitivities, you may wish to note that a Salvation Army Harbour Light is located about a block south of the hotel, and pick your walking path accordingly.

Minor beef: our room was equipped with a nice flat panel TV, but the reception wasn’t very good on many channels. Probably not a problem attributable specifically to the hotel, but in this age of retina displays, hd streaming, and so on, one does wonder if and when TV reception in a hotel room won’t look like 10p watched through a snowstorm.

I know it is a downtown location, but Cleveland isn’t New York City, and it seemed a bit pricey for the grade of hotel. On the other hand, I guess there were enough people in town for the Indians, the Hall of Fame, and/or merely traveling through, to make their rates reasonable in their context.

I’d definitely return on some future visit to Cleveland, but the attraction isn’t strong enough to preclude shopping around, again, at such hypothetical time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Blackwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Basically, it's a no frills place to stay while in Cleveland. The room was mediocre, at best. The bed was probably the worst I've slept on since I was in college. And there was really no room amenities - no fridge in the the room, and the remote did not even work. It probably needed a new battery, but the front desk told us to bring it down to them to exchange a new one. The remote they gave us back in return clearly would never operate a HD television. In fact, the remote looked like it would not have operated a tv made within the last 25 years.

It is within walking distance to most attractions; however, in relation to the other hotels in the "Downtown" district it is the furthest out. This was my first time ever in Cleveland, and the city itself is relatively small so walking from this hotel to the theater district, restaurant area, or where Progressive Field is located is not too bad of a walk.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel was good. The complementary breakfast was great. The rooms were satisfactory. The front desk staff, Gloria and Mawra, were very pleasant. I would come back to this hotel.

I did not like the parking arrangement. I did not like how I had to pay an extra $7.50 to park in the outside lot. This should be changed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

stayed at this hotel for two days. It has seen better days but the rooms are clean and well furnished. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was great. I was there on a weekend so I am not sure about mid week stays in downtown. It is about 14 blocks from the best downtown dining but it is an easy bus ride downtown. It is about a mile away from the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame on Lake Erie.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel deserves 5 STARS rate, I stayed there for 16 days for my family's treatment and the staff are really nice and very accommodating. I can remember some of them - Sheila, Max, Ornella, Yasmine, Pat, Willia, Danielle, Pedro, Alonzo, John and another John.
The location of hotel is strategic, RTA/Healthline bus is just a few steps from the hotel, there's an E-Line trolley as well connecting to downtown and Tower City Centre, it's a free transport but requires you to smile before ride :) . Other connecting trolleys can be used to visit tourist places like Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, The Great Lakes of Science Museum, The Arcade, Theatres, etc.
The hotel transport service/shuttle to and fro the Cleveland Clinic is also running every hourly, this helps me a lot being the main errand of my family.
The hotel breakfast is amazing indeed, there's so much selections which I never ever experienced in 5-star hotels I stayed before. At night when I'm already tired and hungry, restaurants and fastfood chains are just right next to the hotel, you can order food delivered to your room with no extra charge, but it'd be nice to give some tips though.
The room is nice and clean, with big flat screen/LCD TV, with 5 pillows which I really appreciate, with coffee maker and a free wifi connection, this helps me to ease my homesickness as I could videocall to my family anytime I wanted. Also there's an ice maker and snacks vending machines outside my room, very convenient.
Finally, I won't forget the way the staff/ Sheila and Max accommodated my family when their pre-booked room was failed to secure by the owner :( . Even my urgent extension of stay was still given in lower rate, which helped me indeed to fix my limited budget.
Many thanks indeed to all of the staff, well done guys!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
daysinnrichfield, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2013

Max Baire
Assistant General Manager
Comfort Inn, Downtown
216-861-0001
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I feel as though people reviewing this hotel negatively must be going in with misguided expectations. It's a Comfort Inn. You're not going to be shocked with 5 star service or ornate rooms.

It's clean, includes free breakfast and wi-fi, offers affordable ($7.50) and safe parking, and you simply can't beat the location. We walked to Progressive Field and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in less than 20 minutes apiece and had dozens of restaurants and bars right around the corner.

The Ritz-Carlton it isn't, but for a clean and safe place to rest your head in downtown Cleveland you won't find a better option on a budget.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel may be a little worn down but it was clean. Conveniently located close to the ballpark (for the Indians game) and Quicken Arena (for the Eagles concert) . I think it's greatest asset is the staff. Our flight home was cancelled and we only found out about it at 3:00 in the morning when we were getting ready to go to the airport . Donna at the front desk was a life saver! She was able to accommodate us for another day for a lower rate even though the hotel was booked full. She was also able to to contact the car service to the airport, reschedule for the next day and not pay any penalty charge. Thanks Donna, you made sure our vacation wasn't ruined.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!