“Suitable Choice” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Cleveland
Pittsburgh, PA
“Suitable Choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

This is the bargain hotel in the area and while this classification shows when compared to its neighbors, I do think that it’s a suitable choice. We found our room to be clean and comfortable.

The breakfast was good. It offered “make your own waffles”, as well as some fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice, and some additional options. The breakfast sitting area was small and during busy times was challenging to find a seat.

Parking is NOT free. (As I recall, I think it was approximately $7/day.) Guests can park in the lot behind the hotel, which was fine except when there was a concert or other event in the area and the lot would fill. We were then directed to park in a narrow underground garage. The spots were tight and difficult to get into. The ramp to get in and out is a narrow steep turn that you have to honk to ensure that someone coming or going doesn’t crash into you. The worst part is that they failed to salt this and it took us several attempts to get out (we ended up dropping the car’s gear into a lower one.) A very unpleasant situation.

The staff suited our needs. The hotel's halls were a bit muggy and had a strange odor, but nothing too terrible. You could sense that it was an older building and this actually gave the place some charm.

The drive to Case Western Reserve wasn’t too far. The hotel also offered a shuttle to the hospital and many guests there were visiting there. There was a subway nearby and a FANTASTIC pizza shop (Pizza Pan) that we highly recommend. It was so good, that we actually ate there several times.

Under normal circumstances, I would say that the price does not reflect what you get with this hotel. However, you won’t find a better bargain in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Albany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This is an older downtown hotel within walking distance of Progressive Field. There are several eating choices nearby but venturing in the wrong direction could lead you to some seedy areas. Room is clean and well appointed. Our room was fairly quiet. Access from the highway was a snap. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
pittsburgh, pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Check in was uncomplicated
Parking is confusing, lot was full and was told to park in basement. YOU will need the skill of MArio Andretti to get around once down there! Really tight
Hallways are humid and musty
Doors and trim look like they have around 100 coats of paint on them (easy fix)
Ice Machine will scare you to death the first couple times it drops ice!
Room was clean, but some odd things were noticed:
OUr bed sheets were really really wrinkled, almost like they took the sheets out of a pile and put them on the bed. Some of our friends stayed there too, and theirs was the same way....
No fridges in room
TV from 1997 possibly
Bathroom could use some updating. WHat kills me most about hotels is that they KNOW they will need cycle updating, and they wait til the very last minute to do it. Sink had cracks and permanent stains in it. Toilet was older, and seat was uncomfortably small? Shower pressure was below average. No trays in shower for soap, shampoo or anything. Bathroom was SUPER tiny. And vent fan was ridiculously loud!! I woke my wife up every single morning with it.
Bed was ok, but I didnt understand the tiny pillows. Ive stayed in hundreds if not thousands of hotels in my life and never seen these lil pillows.
BReakfast was continental style...with waffles. NOt bad if you are on the go in the morning.
If I Were staying for a single night, and could get it cheap enough I would stay again. But I cant see it happening.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is dated but clean and the staff were friendly. When I was going downstairs, one maid greeted a group of us. I purchased through priceline and had no problems and was satisfied with my price given the location to downtown.

• Stayed June 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I make two trips a year to the CC. I've stayed at two of the three hotels on the CC campus (the Guest House and the Intercontinetal - neither of which are worth the money). If you call the local Comfort Inn number (not the 1-800 one) and tell them you are a patient at CC, they give you a discounted rate. They have great front desk staff and are always helpful regarding asking whether you need to make reservations for the complimentary CC shuffle. Parking is free for hotel guests also. There is a Subway, a Mexican restaurant, and a Pizza Pan all below the hotel. Pizza Pan is fantastic and we look forward to our annual pilgrimage to Cleveland just for the pizza!

The rooms are nothing special, but they are clean. Our last visit in April our room was HOT and I called the front desk and within 5 minutes a maintenance man was there looking at it. He was able to fix it but told us they would gladly switch our rooms if we were not cool enough. Last year when I had heart surgery and made reservations for the week for my husband to stay - the manager upgraded us for free to a suite so my husband would be more comfortable during this difficult time!
I highly recommend this hotel for patients of the hospital. It's only a mile or so down the road and has the free shuttle service as well.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
daysinnrichfield, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Sarah, I would like to say thank you for your kind words and hope you and your husband are doing well. We are happy to have been able to help during your time of need and should you find yourself back in Cleveland at anytime we look forward to having you stay with us. We wish you all the best.

Max Baire
Asst. General Manager
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

My huband and I stayed here before he had brain surgery on May 26th...the front desk manager, Joyce, was an absolute doll. She was very kind and could see the stress of what we were going thru, and she upgraded us at no charge to a jacuzzi suite so I could relax a bit during my 4 days stay---the jacuzzi suite was awesome and soooo relaxing at the end of the day.
The free breakfast, with hot waffles, coffee, juices, eggs, cereals, fruit, yogurt...was all very good and really boosted the value of the hotel.
They have a free shuttle to and from the Cleveland Clinic that runs ON TIME, you can absolutely plan your day by it..and parking at the hotel is free. So, no need to pay for parking at Cleveland Clinic....another big value.
Right outside the hotel, actually connected to it, is a Subway and very cheap Mexican restaurant with great food.....if you want something with a good Italian meal, wine, etc., go out of the hotel, take a left...walk down on block, and there's a beautiful Italian restaurant, and other choices. I would not go anywhere else if I was going for a cleveland clinic situation...the hotels at CC are much more expensive, and don't offer half of what this hotel does with free hot breakfast, etc.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Hi Lori, hope you and your husband are doing well. I would like to thank you for sending in such a nice response to trip advisor and we all here at the Comfort Inn hope your husbands recovery is going well. Please feel free to stop by should you find yourself in Cleveland for any follow ups.

Take care,

Max Baire
Asst. General Manager
Lodi, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Front desk clerk gave me attitude - very unprofessional. I will not be back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!