“Romantic Anniversary Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marigold Bed and Breakfast

Marigold Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chesterland
Marigold Bed and Breakfast
12647 Caves Rd, Chesterland, OH 44026   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Chesterland B&B and Inns
Bay Village, Ohio
“Romantic Anniversary Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at the Marigold on June 16th for our anniversary. The setting is amazing! As soon as you turn off of Caves Road, you forget you're still in a Cleveland suburb. Our suite was beautiful and spotlessly clean and breakfast was great. We loved the wooded location, all the flowers surrounding the patio and the alpacas too. Then it was just a short drive to Gamekeepers for dinner in Chagrin Falls, even with a stop at Red, White & Brew. We tried the Marigold because we had a discount. We'll go back because it's such a unique and romantic B&B. Don't change a thing!

Room Tip: Book early to get a hot tub.

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We received a Living Social gift certificate of a 2 night stay at this bed and breakfast from a family member. We called 2 months prior to the expiration of the of the certificate and was told by the owners that they were all sold out and that they would not make any adjustments in timing that might allow us to come after the expiration time and take advantage of the gift. The owners told us that we would have to deal with Living Social to gain any consideration and that as far as they were concerned it was not their problem.

I don't think the Marigold Bed and Breakfast should have sold or allow their proxy Living Social to make commitments that exceed their capacity to deliver. The worst part is that they received payment and are unwilling to make any adjustments or accept responsibility.

Beware when dealing with these folks...you might get burned like us.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Chesterland hotels

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

The setting is beautiful. A lovely wooded area, very quiet. The B+B is very nice and you feel very comfortable in the surroundings. We went for a much needed get away and some relaxation. Marigold is secluded enough to feel as though you're far away from it all, but within a short distance you can find shopping, restauarants, and even wineries. My boyfriend and I plan to come back in the fall for the R+R, but also for the hospiality and the delicious breakfast. They use organic eggs, produce and breakfast meats, and real maple syrup. We thouroughly enjoyed our stay

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melvindale, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We too got this thru the living social deal for a 2 nights stay.
We had a great time! This was my first stay at a B&B.
The B&B is very nice. Its back in a wooded area and very very quiet. I loved it! It was so very relaxing there and Beverly was VERY accomadating. If we had any questions she was always very helpful!
Breakfast was yummy both mornings. Our first morning we ate on the patio outside which was a very nice way to wake up listening to the birds singing.
Our room was clean and the bathroom was very clean. As far as the "industrial" type dispenser for shampoo and such as referred to by another review, yes it was there. It was probably empty. But, I NEVER use the stuff provided by any hotel I ALWAYS bring my own as I run into problems switching my products.
We had our bottle of wine on our second night there. We spent the day out and about in Middlefield and surrounding area's exploring and checking out the bead store and the General Store. What a cool place to visit!!
We ate dinner at Mary Yoders and highly recommend this place. We also warn you to skip the Chesterland Tavern.
On our second night we took the golf cart out for a ride and went to pet the Alpacka's...we even fed them carrots!!
There was a pond and some chairs next to it to sit and read and just enjoy nature.
The maintenance man Mike was great. We thought we saw an animal sitting in a chair and wasn't sure what it was. He saw us standing on the back patio looking at something and he came RIGHT OUT from the house to see what was the matter. As it turns out...it was not an animal at all in the chair, just our imaginations getting the best of us, but we ALL had a good laugh at it.
I feel the other reviews that complained there was nothing to do in the area, came to the wrong place or didn't go out to find what they were looking for.
For a relaxing weekend away, this place was great!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I also purchased the LivingSocial deal for half price on a two nights' stay. We thought that our stay was worth it for what we paid. We would have left unhappy if we had paid full price.

There's nothing WRONG with this place. The building is lovely, the furnishings nice, the bedroom was smallish but quite comfortable, the bathroom fixtures outdated but very clean. The whole property looks like a comfortable old farmhouse that's not too particular about its every corner. Beverly is very friendly and warm. Breakfast was fine, nothing extraordinary. So at the basic level, we found everything quite adequate. It was a quiet, peaceful, nice place to stay and we enjoyed ourselves. We might even return, if we could get another half price deal, but we would definitely not pay full price for a stay here.

Things we liked: small shared fridge for guests' use was nice for chilling beer, etc., gorgeous four-poster bed, very nice conversation with other guests, comfortable informal living room and patio for lounging, beautiful trails through the wooded property, use of the B&B's golf cart for leisurely riding around, nice location in Chesterland is close to a lot of activities and places to visit. We enjoyed a very nice weekend visiting local farms, small towns, antique stores and flea markets.

Things we didn't like: well... it's not exactly that there were things we didn't like. It's just that there are things that would have made our stay better. We have stayed at a lot of B&B's around the country, and we know what to expect when we check in to one, so we did not really have any surprises. We were surprised to read reviews online about cleanliness, as we found everything spotless. It's not like a fancy high-end urban-antique-district inn, but it's not pretending to be. It is what it is -- a rural B&B with its own quiet charm.

So really, what we noticed most about the Marigold was its general failure to provide any of the "little extras" that most other B&B's include for their guests. These are different at each place, but usually there are some hospitable "special touches" that make each place stand out. There was not much of that sort of thing here. A pair of fluffy bathrobes in the closet for lounging, for example (there was only one in our room), or a K-cup maker in a corner so you can always get a hot cup of coffee or tea (nothing but small carafes of water -- with one glass per couple -- here). Little snacks set out in a basket. Little books in the rooms, maybe, with lists of local attractions or area restaurants, would have been a nice touch. We had to depend on Google maps to give us ideas. Even little soaps or bottles of shampoo, as most places offer to guests, would be nice -- the Marigold bathrooms boast a giant industrial wall dispenser in the shower with labels marked "shampoo," "shower gel" and "conditioner" (though this last was empty, in ours). We were glad we'd thought to pack the nice little bottles of toiletries that had been provided for us at a different B&B we'd stayed at before.

Curtains or blinds on the bathroom window, however, are really a must rather than an 'extra' (ours overlooked the patio). I'm not sure how this has been overlooked, especially because we are not the first to comment on the problem here!

So, none of these are complaints -- just things that we have appreciated about other places that were generally lacking here.

However, we DO have a major complaint our stay. It is not really about the B&B itself, but about its excessively exaggerated marketing scheme to sell two-night packages via LivingSocial. The package was lushly advertised as including 1. "2 Italian crystal wineglasses," 2. a "wine and cheese tray," 3. a local "wine tasting," and 4. a "golf cart rental." So, ok, we received all of those things. But here's the reality of what they were:

1. We were given two perfectly ordinary-looking wine glasses in which to drink our wine, which I suppose we were supposed to just haul up to our room and wash and pack home on our own? We did not receive any directions about them, and when we left forgot to ask about them -- presumably they're still sitting around there somewhere. As they really were perfectly ordinary wine glasses, we did not feel particularly inclined to take them home.

2. Beverly kindly prepared the 'wine and cheese tray' for us, which was a dinner plate containing some ordinary Nabisco crackers and some cubes of colby jack cheese, and a bottle of a brand of wine which we had just purchased at the grocery store the other day for $3.29. There was nothing wrong with cheese or crackers or wine, they were fine -- but don't come expecting anything special. No gourmet cheese or interesting wine or even water crackers, here. This is as ordinary as it comes.

3. The "wine tasting" was by far the most deceptive item of this package, and a real stretch. Whoever thought to include this in a "package deal" should be ashamed of themselves. The "Red, Wine and Brew" place is simply a big wine & beer store (a very good one, with an extraordinary selection, but again, nothing fancy here -- just a big store) and their "wine tasting" consists of a few miniature plastic cups next to the cash register, into which they will pour a few drops of whatever bottle they happen to have open, and which one is expected to drink while wandering the aisles of their store. They will do this for whoever walks in their door on a weekend evening. If you come in on a weeknight, there is no wine and no tasting. I don't think that the folks at this store even know that they were "included" in this package. This is not an "included item" in a guest package at all -- this is a shameless attempt to try to make a basic B&B stay into something that it is NOT. Honestly embarrassing for whoever's brilliant idea THAT was.

4. Golf cart rental. Another deceptive marketing item. The golf cart exists, certainly, and any guest at the Marigold may ask to use it. We did, and it was quite nice. But to call it a "rental" is totally odd.

The weirdest part of this was, when we asked about the "golf cart rental" and the "wine tasting" that were "included" in our "package," Beverly gave us rather an odd, embarrassed look and explained, "well, it's not really a wine tasting -- you can just go to the store and they'll give you a taste of something" -- and about the golf cart, "well, there's no rental, it's just here, I'll get it out of the shed for you if you want." I mean, WE weren't the ones who wrote up the exaggerated claims of the package, we just bought it, you know? And we were asking about it using the language that the B&B provided for the "package deal." If there IS no 'rental' then it should not have been advertised that way.

So, in short, our whole experience was really fine. It was generally a bit less than we were expecting, but not overwhelmingly so. We would have enjoyed it much more if we had not bought a "package deal" that advertised an experience that was very different than what we had. I am very glad I did not buy this as a gift (we nearly did) because all of these oversold "package extras" would have been extremely embarrassing for us.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a whirlpool room. We peeked in... it was lovely!
Granville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I purchased through Living Social deals. We decided to use it to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Check-in time was 3:00P.M. We arrived at 3:05P.M. Beverly had just gotten home. The housekeeper called off, so she wasn't prepared...No problem. She wanted to show us our room. When we went to the stairs there was a comforter thrown on the stair way. She through it to the side and we went to see our room. She said she had changed the sheets, but the bathroom still needed cleaned. I told her no problem. She ask if we wanted our wine while we waited. Sure, why not :) She said red or white. We choose red. We waited outside on the patio. She came out and said she was out of red...would we like her to go to the store and buy some. We told her not to worry about it. She went back in the house and returned a couple minutes later with 2 glasses of red wine. I ask if she had found a bottle and she said it was from previous customers...she would get us a bottle later....The next day we went to Red Wine and Brew for our tasting. They had NO idea what we were talking about. I showed them our deal (which included the tasting). They knew nothing about it! They were so apologetic....gave us a tasting (which I didn't want them to do...not at all their fault) and we purchased 2 bottles from them. When we returned my husband ask for our cheese tray and wine. She brought out random chunks of colby jack cheese and a few crackers...positive side...we did get our bottle of red wine! The water in the shower smelled terrible. The breakfast both days was good. When we were ready to leave, I ask her if she needed the Living Social paper work. She said yes and the gratuity...for the full amount of the stay, not the half price that we paid through Living Social...$75.25! We paid...don't know why....and left...NEVER to return! So deceiving and very disappointed in the whole deal...which was no deal at all!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Beverly J, Manager at Marigold Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
For all our guests give us wonderful compliments we Thank You and those that aren't happy
with our services we will try harder.
Sugarcreek, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed at Marigold B&B in April 2012 using a Groupon. The stay started off a little shaky as we went at check in time to pick up our voucher for dinner and was told that someone was still "working" on the vouchers for the restaurant. After 15 minutes of discussion, the manager, Beverly went into another room and brought me cash for the voucher. I felt like I was putting her out asking for what was part of the deal. They did not have our room ready yet and so we went to Chagrin Falls for the meal first. Dinner ended up being great. When we came back, we were taken to our room which was adequate. The sheets and pillow cases did not match, there were no curtains or blinds on the windows, the TV did not work at all. We were supposed to have the wine and cheese also. When I asked about it as she was showing us our room, she looked at me like I was asking for something extra. She did bring a tray with 5 slices of cheese and 10 crackers, with the wine about 2 hours later. The next morning we got up and went downstairs for coffee and Beverly was shocked that another guest wanted a cup of coffee and told us she would have to make some more. This went on for the next 2 couples also. I guess she was not prepared to serve 8 people coffee. We were told to wait in the living room while she prepared breakfast. The dining room was set for 6 people and there were 8 of us waiting. When one couple wandered into the dining room and started eating, we all followed along also only to see that only 6 people were going to get to eat. We went back into the living room to wait. Finally when my husband tried to get me to leave and go buy breakfast somewhere else, I went into the kitchen and she acted surprised that there were still 2 people that didn't eat. She fed us in the kitchenette/ entryway. Breakfast was good. Needless to say. We will never go back there. I never felt welcomed. Not a romantic getaway as I was hoping.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marigold Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!