“Fantastic food, nice neighborhood vibe” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rue Dumaine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 52 Restaurants in Centerville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: McEwen Road & Lyons Road
Description: Chef Anne Kearney and Tom Sand Jr., co-proprietors, welcome you to their home! We have created a unique atmosphere where you can celebrate the good things in life, and put your cares on hold for a few hours. The décor has been created with many French bistro elements. Rue Dumaine specializes in an Americanized version of classic French flavors. Come savor duck rillette crepes, or indulge in crispy Herb de Provence frog legs, or a robust serving of Cabernet braised short ribs. Chef Anne is passionate about local ingredients such as honey, organic eggs, and all-natural chicken from Ed Hill’s farm in Xenia. Only the best artisan cheeses, gelato, vegetables and breads are brought in; everything else is prepared in-house. Menus change seasonally to accommodate fresh produce and seasonal specialties from local suppliers. The wine room is stocked with “wines from around the world” chosen from boutique wineries that exhibit “attention to detail” in all aspects of their winemaking process.
alexandria07
“Fantastic food, nice neighborhood vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We discovered this restaurant shortly after moving from DC to Centerville - the quality of the food is as high (or higher!) as any big-city restaurant and the service is excellent. The chef, as I understand it, is local but has owned restaurants in New Orleans. The food definitely reflects a Big Easy sensibility. They use local ingredients and have a range of interesting options. The wine list is great - it's always fun to try something new! Highly recommend Rue Dumaine but be sure to get a reservation! It's a popular local favorite.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dayton, Ohio
“One terrific dinner, one outstanding restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

First visit last weekend, and not disappointed. Scallops appetizer absolutely sparkled. My wife's soup missed the mark by being underseasoned, but that was the slightest hiccup. Entrees of pheasant and hanger steak were perfect. Add one nice bottle of Pinot, and it was a meal we won't soon forget. Anne Kearney may be the finest chef in Dayton.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
centerville, ohio
“great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I loved the food i loved the atmosphere, i thought the lights were a little too bright, and it was not cheap wine was good

Visited September 2012
Waynesville, Ohio, United States
“Expand your experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This place reminds me of the joke about divorce that says "why is divorce so expensive? Because it 's worth the money".
It is expensive and crowded and you may overhear the next table's conversations. I don't care. I have eaten some things that aren't on any other menu in the Dayton area and enjoyed them thoroughly.
Places like this don't come along every day. They have places like this in New York and New Orleans but not around here. Wine selection is good too.

Visited January 2013
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“The care about what they do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My impression of Rue Dumaine was positive throughout as every member of their team, from the executive chef to the busboy, was involved in making us feel welcome. I have never before been greeted at the door and led to my table by any other restaurant's executive chef, but Ann Kerney herself took the opportunity to explain some of the restaurant's philosophy--devoted to mostly locally sourced ingredients and as many items made in-house (even the Grenadine at the bar) as practical.

We were then left to the expert service of our waiter Tony. From where I sat, I had a full view of their open kitchen, and I could see how this is a thoroughly professional establishment where sous chefs are efficient yet unhurried.

Now, about the food: it deserves top marks, though from a purely personal perspective I would have done some of it differently. I had a couple of their house Carpona Manhattans, quite good but I'd counsel the bartender to try Old Overholt rye instead of Maker's Mark. We were presented with an amuse bouche of chopped fish on an endive rib, delectable and worthy of any fine dining establishment Our appetizers--mushroom crepes, foie gras, and frog legs--were delightful. My entree was trout in brown butter amadine with haricots verts--a nice pairing since if you got the amadine on the green beans it's still a classic preparation--and for my taste, I would cook the almonds and butter somewhat less brown and the beans a bit more crisp--but that's my taste. The rest of the table raved about their choices: steak frites with a steak so tender and a mound of seasoned fries (looked like three or four potatoes worth) and a nice aioli; stewed pork in prunes struck me as a little sweet bu my wife polished it off and sopped up the gravy with bread, and cassoulet made with duck confit--a nice take. We shared a dessert of chocolate gelato with a really good honey madelaine.

I understand that they are preparing to relocate to a new facility a few miles to the south--they've done an excellent job of turning this strip-mall location into a well designed restaurant, but I guess the new place will offer them some advantage.

My bottom line is that the Dayton region now has, in my estimation, more outstanding dining options than ever. Rue Dumaine is a solid contributor to that level of excellence.

• Visited January 2013