“Horrible computer center! Mold in the rooms.....” 3 of 5 stars

You added McKinley Grand Hotel to your Saves list
McKinley Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   320 Market Avenue South, Canton, OH 44702   |
Ranked #10 of 13 hotels in Canton
“Horrible computer center! Mold in the rooms.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Don't even bother with the so called "business center". 15 year old computers. 2 - 3 minutes to load a website. Unfortunately my job makes me stay there every so often, and I have noticed severe allergies every time. I believe there is mold in the A/C units on the wall, so when you turn it on it spreads mold all over the room.

• Stayed November 2012

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
JEFFERSON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in this hotel because of a good rate on Hotwire. The hotel is right in downtown Canton, which isn't that great. We checked in, went to the room and everything seemed fine. We went to dinner and returned to find that half of the room had no electricity. After the maintenance man tried to get the power on and couldn't, we moved to the room next door. This hotel was probably grand at some point. The room felt tired and dated. The bed was lumpy. The carpet could use a good cleaning. We could hear everyone out in the hall. Around 3 AM, there were young adults running up and down the hall yelling, laughing and banging on doors. This went on for quite awhile until I opened the door and asked them to quit banging on the doors. The bathroom was clean. Ice maker on our floor was inoperable. The lighting in the room was minimal. We chose to park on the street rather than pay $6.75 per day to park in the garage. TV had very few channels. Guess this hotel is centrally located. Wouldn't stay here again without getting a great rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Waterville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I'd agree with a previous reviewer who said that every review of this hotel on this site is true--the laudatory and the negative both. The McKinley Grand appears to be a once-great hotel in a struggling city. Rooms were clean and relatively plush. The bathrooms were clean and updated--new tile, nicely laid marble floors. But the carpet in the rooms probably needs replacement and the carpet in the hallways shows even clearer signs of wear. The pool was clean, but the pool room was cold and the water frigid. The hot tub has been turned into a planter--because of the cost of repairs?

But the staff was warm and thoughtful, the beds were comfortable, the bathrooms spotless. In the end, I'm glad we spent the night at the McKinley Grand. If Canton's economy were better, I suspect this hotel's fortunes would reflect it by a return to real elegance. Yet there is something to be said for a once-prosperous hotel working to retain a portion of its grandeur. Clearly, the McKinley Grand hasn't given up hope on the future, and I commend it to those seeking a nice hotel with far more character than the average Marriott Courtyard or Hampton Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel rooms are in desperate need of a major upgrade. They are poorly lit and well used. If you forget to set your alarm do t worry the housekeepers telling to each other from opposite ends of the hall will definitely get u up. Great new TVs in room with very limited channels an for a hotel that markets around the hall of they don't even have the NFL network. Very very sad

• Stayed November 2012
Zanesville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at the McKinley Grand Hotel and each time has been great. The first two times were in the summer and they were much busier but we wanted to go to the Cuyahoga National Park and see the leaves in color and we were not disappointed. The first night our room was on the 5th floor right beside the elevator and we could hear it going up and down most of the night~it stopped from about midnight but started up again about 6:00 the next morning. We asked the clerk at the desk if she could move us and without hesitation she moved us to a larger and better corner room on the 4th floor where we couldn't hear anything. As several people have mentioned the food is quite good there at the restaurant and the portions are more than you can eat!! The first night I had the steak and my fiance' had the pasta and both were excellent. The second night we tried to order a pizza from a local place but they wouldn't deliver to the hotel so we ended up getting personal pizzas and ultimate nachos from the restaurant and again they were great! The waitresses we had both morning for our breakfast were very friendly and very helpful in telling us different things to do in the area. We will be back again next year:)

Room Tip: The corner rooms are larger than the other rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

If you are ever in Canton, OH and need a wonderful place to stay for a resonable cost, the McKinley Grand is the place for you. The rooms are luxurious and comfortable. The staff treat you like you are at five star hotel and the area the hotel is located in is just blocks from download Canton. The food you order in the restaurant fills you and is high quality. Any time I'm in the area I'll be sure and stay there again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the best. Top floor is quiet and all the rooms are large and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

After reading the posted reviews, I was very leery of staying at this hotel. However, much to my surprise, the hotel was very nice. It was very nicely decorated in the lobby and first floor. My room was on the 3rd floor and was very large and roomy and clean. The linens were newer and clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. was high quality. The AC and heat both worked, and there was plenty of hot water and water pressure. I did not experience any of the things that some other reviewers had said. I ate in the restaurant, and the food was delicious. Huge portions and very reasonably priced. Service in restaurant was excellent. Check in and check out was quick and easy. There were options for parking, and the clerk was quick to explain each. I parked on the side street for free or could have parked in the parking garage for $6.75 or $8.00. The only negative thing I have to say is that the smoking area is at the main entrance to the lobby, so I had to walk through about 20 people standing outside smoking when I arrived. This was not a good first impression. I definitely will stay there again.

Room Tip: I was on the third room and close to the elevator. Hall noise and other room noise was a little bot...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to McKinley Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!