“Beautiful Grounds - Small details could use attention” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canton
Prices are for rooms, adults
The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard
Save Saved
You added The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard to your Saves list
1700 55th Street NE, Canton, OH 44721   |
Indianapolis, IN
“Beautiful Grounds - Small details could use attention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

My family and I stayed to celebrate my 50th birthday and overall, the vineyard and accommodations were awesome. You can tell that great care has gone into making this place a special, classy, Tuscan experience. However, I don't believe anyone would disagree that for the price, expectations are high. To that end, please don't consider this a negative review, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that small details, that are a given at other less expensive accommodations, could use some attention here. At CHECK-IN, which was easy, I confirmed that we were a family of 4 (3 adults and a teen) and that we would have breakfast for 4 and towels for 4 in our room. I was assured we would and was told not to worry about breakfast- "there would be plenty" for everyone. THE ROOM: We stayed at Villa Portofino which was steps away from Villa Grande and parking. The Villa and room decor were a dream. We booked the 2-story king. The bed AND sofabed were among the most comfortable we have ever experienced. We were, however, surprised to find empty cans, trash and toys under the sofabed when we pulled it out. We made note of this on the check-out review. We had to request a 4th set of towels each day we were there. Our first breakfast arrived and looked delicious, however, we only received breakfast for 3. I tracked the waiter down and told him we were missing a breakfast and was told that was because we had a child in our room and he would bring a bowl of fruit. I told him that the "child" was a 15-year old and she needed the same breakfast everyone else got. He promised to bring it. We waited quite some time for that breakfast before I walked over to Villa Grande to ask again for it. We finally decided to eat without it because our food had gotten cold. Later when breakfast was over, the breakfast came. When we returned to our room later that evening, we had a $25 gift certificate and an apology under the door. That was appreciated, thank you. The next morning, our breakfast contained 3 of some breakfast items and 4 of some breakfast items. We shared and made do. After the first day, the villa ran out of cups, coffee cups, spoons, water, juice, coffee, sweetener, etc. I and other "villa mates" called for more and we received more coffee, 2 more coffee cups but nothing else. Others rinsed coffee cups out and reused them. DINING: Though we made reservations for the Bistro in advance our first night, our waitress rushed us through the evening and made us feel like we were somehow being "worked in". This was our first visit so we had questions about the wine tasting selections and menu and this seemed to frustrate her. She was very impatient and rushed us through our wine tasting selections and food order. As a result, my daughter ordered what she thought was a simple salad but was not. When it came, she took one fork full and determined she did not like it and told the waitress who gasped and said, "Well does anyone else want this?" She was so irritated, and showed it, that my daughter declined to order anything to replace it because she didn't want to tick the waitress off further. Though the salad was basically untouched, the waitress did not remove it from our bill. The Piazza Outdoor Patio provided friendly service, great food and ambiance. We didn't get a chance to eat at the Crush House, but did visit and were made to feel very welcome by everyone there. SHOPPING: The women at The Marketplace were very friendly. We had the pleasure of being at Gervasi for The Farmers Market and enjoyed it. OVERALL: THE PEOPLE: Friendly. THE PLACE: Beautiful. THE SERVICE: Somehow, I'm certain this is being worked on daily towards making this Venue a true trifecta!

Room Tip: Villa Portofino was quiet and close to Villa Grande and parking.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jeffrey H, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear thewilsonfour,
Thank you so much for your detailed review. I want to thank you for generously giving us 4 stars despite what you experienced. I am terribly sorry! That must have been very frustrating not to get all of your breakfasts delivered at once when that had already been addressed at check-in. I am embarrassed that you found those items under the sofa bed. Your comments about the Bistro are particularly frustrating. I am sorry you received such poor service. We never want our guests to feel rushed or unappreciated. I do appreciate that you recognize that we are trying to maintain, and usually do provide, a very high level of service throughout Gervasi. Obviously we did not achieve that during your visit and I apologize. I do hope you will give us another chance in the future. Thank you for pointing out these issues and for being so kind.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

First of all this is an absolutely gorgeous property. We loved that everything was within walking distance. We did have a bad check in experience. We arrived at 1:30 and went into the lobby. We waited 5-10 minutes before we were greeted and not in a very friendly way as I was reminded check in wasn’t until 3:00 before I could even say that I just wanted a map of the property so we could grab lunch before check in. After lunch we came back about 2:50 into the lobby as it had started raining outside. We planned to just sit down and finish our glass of wine until 3:00. A woman kept looking over at us suspiciously and finally asked rudely if we needed something. We said we were checking in and again rudely told it wasn’t until 3:00 which we understood and was why we were sitting there. She told us there was a wedding and we would have to leave, we weren’t allowed to sit there. When we asked where we should go for the less than 10 minutes now that was left and she just shrugged her shoulders. So we went and stood outside when someone else came up and said they had our keys. She took us to our room only to find out it was the wrong room. She went and got the correct keys and we made it to our room. We reserve a two story king that was absolutely beautiful. I also requested massages and with this room you can do them at the same time, the other rooms you have to schedule back to back. Holly and Daria were fantastic, highly recommend doing this while you are there. We had a wonderful dinner at the Bistro and enjoyed some live music on the patio. We were disapponited the Crush House wasn't open so make sure you check what's open before you pick your day. Overall we did really enjoy our stay but our check in experience made me remove a star. That is certainly not the reception we expected for almost $300 a night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey H, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear cahill05,
I was very disappointed upon reading your review and terribly sorry! That is obviously not the experience the vast majority of our guests experience which makes it even more disappointing to me that this happened to you. I am wondering if you happen to remember the name of the guest services specialist that checked you in or a physical description of the individual? If you do, could you e-mail me at jeff@gervasivineyard.com? It would be very helpful. If there there anything I could do to attempt to make up for this terrible experience, please let me know as well. I am so grateful that you still chose to give us a 4 star review. That is very generous indeed. Thank you again for your visit and I am very sorry your reception experience was so poor. I WILL be looking into this right away.
jillbean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed July 11-13, 2014. It was truly fabulous. This is hands down one of the nicest places we've ever stayed. We are already planning our next visit!! The rooms were top notch, the food was amazing and the grounds are gorgeous. It was hard to believe we were still in Ohio. Gervasi is a hidden gem.

If you are thinking about visiting, don't hesitate, you will not regret it!!

Stayed July 2014
Dear jillbean,
Thank you so much for such a kind review! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you!
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a perfectly unique place and is a wonderful gem in Canton!

Rooms are lovely, romantic and perfect for a getaway-especially in the cold of the Ohio winters! Fireplace in your room to add ambiance and wonderful common area to accommodate groups. Perfect place for a wedding party.

Food is excellent and everyone we meet was professional and accommodating.

Treat yourself and someone you love....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey H, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
KerwinN,
Thank you! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We've stayed there 2 days before and its absolutely wonderful! The rooms are spectacular. We plan on going back again in September to stay, cant wait. The food in very good and the Crush House is a great place to hang out and enjoy the wine.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey H, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Physican E,
Thank you so much for your very kind review! We hope to see you again soon at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard!
Akron, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I take an annual overnight getaway to Gervasi. We stay in one of the luxury villas, have dinner at the Bistro, and stroll the grounds. It is always a great night away. I recommend it to all my married friends. Like most Ohio wineries, the wine is sweet and OK, but they have other brands available if you are a connoisseur. Good food, very nice accommodations. Not inexpensive all said, but well worth the getaway. Tip: Try to go before wedding season. They get full quickly, the shared common room with rowdy guests might be problematic, and I think they move to a 2-night minimum. We go in the winter or spring and have always had a nice time.

Room Tip: Get a room with a king size bed. They sellout first.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Stimps,
Thank you for your review of the Villas as well as your Crush House review. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Villas! Your tips are spot on. Wedding season begins this weekend May 16th 2014 and we really do get very busy with wedding guests who stay with us.
I do want to clarify that we do not carry other brands of wine as you indicate in your review. We ONLY carry Gervasi wines. Many of which are very dry and full bodied such as our Zin Zin (Zinfandel) or Abbraccio (Cabernet). I also enjoy dryer wines and I think you might enjoy these as well. Thank you again very much for visiting us each year. We appreciate it very much!
Kent, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My family rented an entire villa so all 14 of us could stay at the same place for 3 days 2 nights of food and games. The villa was very nice. The beds are comfortable (even the pull out couch), the bathrooms are spacious and the common area was large enough to accomodate all us plus all the food we brought.

The villa staff was both friendly and accomidating. There are several coffee drinkers in the family so the staff brought us large containers of fresh coffee throughout the day. We were all pleasently surprised by the breakfast provided to those staying in the villa. The breakfast was deliicious and plentiful. Plus they brought me a vegetarian breakfast sandwich!

The only negative part of the experience was our dining one night at the Crush House on the property. We called as soon as the restaurant opened letting the hostess know that a part of 17 (a few friends joined us) would be coming in at 5:30. At first the hostess said that would not be a problem, she would put us on the list. She explained that reservations are not excepted at the Crush House, but since we called early letting them know they would make sure we would have a table.

Then the hostess called our villa about 30 min after we called the restaurant asking if we could come at 6:30 instead of 5:30 and were we okay sitting at two different tables. We were fine with both changes.

At 6:15 all 17 of us walked over to the Crush House. We informed the hostess that we were the party of 17 that had called in advance and that the entire party was in attendance. She said the wait time would be 30 minutes.

At the 45 minute mark we asked if our table would be available soon. We were then told our wait would be another 30 minutes.

After waiting a total of 1 hr 15 minutes and still no table we asked if we could order food and have it delivered to the villa (the villa was less than 1000 ft from the restaurant) but the hostess said that is not an option. We then offered to place the order and we would walk back over to pick the food up, but that isn't an option they offer either.

At the 2 hour mark we told the hostess we were leaving. We had called several hours in advance to our needing a table, agreed to come later, and then had to wait 2 hours at the restaurant and during all this the only time we received an update was when we hunted down the hostess. We were all fed up and very hungry at this point.

Well, once we said we were leaving the restuarant staff suddenly found 2 available tables for us. The food was good and reasonably priced but not worth the hassel.

In my opinion, if a group is paying $1700 for their villa, they should be able to call ahead to get a table OR, at the very least, be able to order food and pick it up themselves from the restaurant.

After the visit, we agreed we would rent the villa again, but next time we will go someplace else for dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Christina I,

Thank you taking the time to share your experience. I am so sorry that we were unable to accommodate your party in the Crush House.

Normally I respond to all new reviews the same day they are submitted but I needed some to research what happened to your party.

I spoke with our Crush House manager and she certainly does remember this happening on or around December 26th 2013. She is also very sorry that your party was not taken care of efficiently. Also, the hostess who told you that you could not order food for take out from the Crush House was wrong and we have addressed that issue internally. You most certainly CAN order food to go from the Crush House to take back to your Villa!

The fact that you had to wait 2 hours for a table is unacceptable and we are so sorry. We have implemented many new policies to help our Villa guests secure reservations in the Bistro. The Crush House does not take reservations as you point out but we have improved how we handle large parties that come to the Crush House.

So I do hope you will visit us again in the future despite this terrible experience. Please accept our sincere apologies and thank you.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard? Share your experiences!