“Beautiful but unfriendly check in” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canton
The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard
You added The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard to your Saves list
1700 55th Street NE, Canton, OH 44721   |
Dublin, Ohio
“Beautiful but unfriendly check in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

First of all this is an absolutely gorgeous property. We loved that everything was within walking distance. We did have a bad check in experience. We arrived at 1:30 and went into the lobby. We waited 5-10 minutes before we were greeted and not in a very friendly way as I was reminded check in wasn’t until 3:00 before I could even say that I just wanted a map of the property so we could grab lunch before check in. After lunch we came back about 2:50 into the lobby as it had started raining outside. We planned to just sit down and finish our glass of wine until 3:00. A woman kept looking over at us suspiciously and finally asked rudely if we needed something. We said we were checking in and again rudely told it wasn’t until 3:00 which we understood and was why we were sitting there. She told us there was a wedding and we would have to leave, we weren’t allowed to sit there. When we asked where we should go for the less than 10 minutes now that was left and she just shrugged her shoulders. So we went and stood outside when someone else came up and said they had our keys. She took us to our room only to find out it was the wrong room. She went and got the correct keys and we made it to our room. We reserve a two story king that was absolutely beautiful. I also requested massages and with this room you can do them at the same time, the other rooms you have to schedule back to back. Holly and Daria were fantastic, highly recommend doing this while you are there. We had a wonderful dinner at the Bistro and enjoyed some live music on the patio. We were disapponited the Crush House wasn't open so make sure you check what's open before you pick your day. Overall we did really enjoy our stay but our check in experience made me remove a star. That is certainly not the reception we expected for almost $300 a night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey H, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear cahill05,
I was very disappointed upon reading your review and terribly sorry! That is obviously not the experience the vast majority of our guests experience which makes it even more disappointing to me that this happened to you. I am wondering if you happen to remember the name of the guest services specialist that checked you in or a physical description of the individual? If you do, could you e-mail me at jeff@gervasivineyard.com? It would be very helpful. If there there anything I could do to attempt to make up for this terrible experience, please let me know as well. I am so grateful that you still chose to give us a 4 star review. That is very generous indeed. Thank you again for your visit and I am very sorry your reception experience was so poor. I WILL be looking into this right away.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
jillbean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed July 11-13, 2014. It was truly fabulous. This is hands down one of the nicest places we've ever stayed. We are already planning our next visit!! The rooms were top notch, the food was amazing and the grounds are gorgeous. It was hard to believe we were still in Ohio. Gervasi is a hidden gem.

If you are thinking about visiting, don't hesitate, you will not regret it!!

Stayed July 2014
Dear jillbean,
Thank you so much for such a kind review! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you!
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a perfectly unique place and is a wonderful gem in Canton!

Rooms are lovely, romantic and perfect for a getaway-especially in the cold of the Ohio winters! Fireplace in your room to add ambiance and wonderful common area to accommodate groups. Perfect place for a wedding party.

Food is excellent and everyone we meet was professional and accommodating.

Treat yourself and someone you love....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey H, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
KerwinN,
Thank you! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We've stayed there 2 days before and its absolutely wonderful! The rooms are spectacular. We plan on going back again in September to stay, cant wait. The food in very good and the Crush House is a great place to hang out and enjoy the wine.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey H, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Physican E,
Thank you so much for your very kind review! We hope to see you again soon at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard!
Akron, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I take an annual overnight getaway to Gervasi. We stay in one of the luxury villas, have dinner at the Bistro, and stroll the grounds. It is always a great night away. I recommend it to all my married friends. Like most Ohio wineries, the wine is sweet and OK, but they have other brands available if you are a connoisseur. Good food, very nice accommodations. Not inexpensive all said, but well worth the getaway. Tip: Try to go before wedding season. They get full quickly, the shared common room with rowdy guests might be problematic, and I think they move to a 2-night minimum. We go in the winter or spring and have always had a nice time.

Room Tip: Get a room with a king size bed. They sellout first.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Stimps,
Thank you for your review of the Villas as well as your Crush House review. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Villas! Your tips are spot on. Wedding season begins this weekend May 16th 2014 and we really do get very busy with wedding guests who stay with us.
I do want to clarify that we do not carry other brands of wine as you indicate in your review. We ONLY carry Gervasi wines. Many of which are very dry and full bodied such as our Zin Zin (Zinfandel) or Abbraccio (Cabernet). I also enjoy dryer wines and I think you might enjoy these as well. Thank you again very much for visiting us each year. We appreciate it very much!
Kent, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My family rented an entire villa so all 14 of us could stay at the same place for 3 days 2 nights of food and games. The villa was very nice. The beds are comfortable (even the pull out couch), the bathrooms are spacious and the common area was large enough to accomodate all us plus all the food we brought.

The villa staff was both friendly and accomidating. There are several coffee drinkers in the family so the staff brought us large containers of fresh coffee throughout the day. We were all pleasently surprised by the breakfast provided to those staying in the villa. The breakfast was deliicious and plentiful. Plus they brought me a vegetarian breakfast sandwich!

The only negative part of the experience was our dining one night at the Crush House on the property. We called as soon as the restaurant opened letting the hostess know that a part of 17 (a few friends joined us) would be coming in at 5:30. At first the hostess said that would not be a problem, she would put us on the list. She explained that reservations are not excepted at the Crush House, but since we called early letting them know they would make sure we would have a table.

Then the hostess called our villa about 30 min after we called the restaurant asking if we could come at 6:30 instead of 5:30 and were we okay sitting at two different tables. We were fine with both changes.

At 6:15 all 17 of us walked over to the Crush House. We informed the hostess that we were the party of 17 that had called in advance and that the entire party was in attendance. She said the wait time would be 30 minutes.

At the 45 minute mark we asked if our table would be available soon. We were then told our wait would be another 30 minutes.

After waiting a total of 1 hr 15 minutes and still no table we asked if we could order food and have it delivered to the villa (the villa was less than 1000 ft from the restaurant) but the hostess said that is not an option. We then offered to place the order and we would walk back over to pick the food up, but that isn't an option they offer either.

At the 2 hour mark we told the hostess we were leaving. We had called several hours in advance to our needing a table, agreed to come later, and then had to wait 2 hours at the restaurant and during all this the only time we received an update was when we hunted down the hostess. We were all fed up and very hungry at this point.

Well, once we said we were leaving the restuarant staff suddenly found 2 available tables for us. The food was good and reasonably priced but not worth the hassel.

In my opinion, if a group is paying $1700 for their villa, they should be able to call ahead to get a table OR, at the very least, be able to order food and pick it up themselves from the restaurant.

After the visit, we agreed we would rent the villa again, but next time we will go someplace else for dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Christina I,

Thank you taking the time to share your experience. I am so sorry that we were unable to accommodate your party in the Crush House.

Normally I respond to all new reviews the same day they are submitted but I needed some to research what happened to your party.

I spoke with our Crush House manager and she certainly does remember this happening on or around December 26th 2013. She is also very sorry that your party was not taken care of efficiently. Also, the hostess who told you that you could not order food for take out from the Crush House was wrong and we have addressed that issue internally. You most certainly CAN order food to go from the Crush House to take back to your Villa!

The fact that you had to wait 2 hours for a table is unacceptable and we are so sorry. We have implemented many new policies to help our Villa guests secure reservations in the Bistro. The Crush House does not take reservations as you point out but we have improved how we handle large parties that come to the Crush House.

So I do hope you will visit us again in the future despite this terrible experience. Please accept our sincere apologies and thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

My husband brought us here as part of a getaway long weekend. We spent 12 days touring Tuscany & Umbria last fall, and have a special place in our hearts for the area.
Gervasi Vineyard really works hard to create a Tuscan experience; the ambience and decor-both indoors and out-are spot on. No stone unturned and every detail attended to.
The grounds are adjacent a large park with lots of walking trails, and the property itself is lovely. Beautifully tended vines, wonderful villas, restaurants etc. Really, can't say enough good.
Our villa, Firenze, included every possible amenity, right down to geothermal floor heat under the Italian marble floor, a towel heater on the wall (as we had in Italy) in the bath, a bed that truly was difficult to leave-like floating in a cloud!
We enjoyed wonderful wines, both estate grown and Italian imports. The food was delicious, and our continental breakfast came in a wooden box, delivered to our villa at the time we chose!
We were talking about returning even before we retired for the night; just a place that you know you want to return and share with others.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Marti P.,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It certainly means a lot to us when someone compares us to Italy! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will come back soon! Thank you again!

Been to The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard? Share your experiences!