“Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canton
The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard
You added The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard to your Saves list
1700 55th Street NE, Canton, OH 44721   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fairborn, Ohio
“Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

So now that I have time to write this (from an uncomfortable bed...sad day)

The Gervasi Vineyard in Canton, OH is amazing. The first time I went two years ago with Lindz early in our relationship we were both under 21 so we could only try out the food, also on a bit of a limited budget. This time around we were able to take in the full experience. Villa, Crush House, Bistro, ect. it was worth every penny. This was probably going to be our last big trip before the Air Force ships me from Wright-Patt AFB in southern Ohio to Guam here in the next few months. I figured this would be a great way to spend one of my last few weekends with my girlfriend before I leave, and I was right. Being in the military, I have attention to detail, but I'll tell you this, I was blown away by their attention to detail, that should tell you something!

Once inside we got to the main villa to check in. First off the main villa (Villa Grande) is beautiful. Inside there is a chandelier made out of their wine bottles, a few other local decor items and a great Tuscan feel. Also this is the first place I have ever checked in that we sat down at a desk with someone while they went over the reservation details, asked us if we wanted anything, what could better our stay, ect. That kind of, we're here for you, whatever you need, just WOW.

Once we got to our rooms. WOW. Every penny I spent was totally worth it. The queen beds and pillows are darn near the most comfortable things you will ever sleep on. Right now my current bed is...disappointing. The bathroom is a dream. Tile floor, stone sink, tile shower with a rainfall showerhead and tool, premium soaps (best shampoo ever), and hidden commode. Oh and I'm surprised I forgot. HEATED TOWEL RACKS. You have no clue what you're missing. This is probably one of the greatest inventions ever made for a bathroom. Seriously this is a must have. My towels all felt as if I pulled them out of a dryer but were nice and soft, cozy, and dried you off in one swipe. The same warmth was brought to our bath robes after we had put them on the rack as well.

The fireplace was a nice little gas one that put out a good bit of heat on the room. Whatever the geothermal heated floor did not warm, the fireplace did. On the subject I don't think heated floor gets warm as in toasty. The most it heated was enough to walk barefoot in the middle of the night with no issues, just warm enough to not be cold. I wished it was a nice warm floor, but hey, beggers can't be choosers. Being geothermal I bet during the summer it's a bit warmer, and combined with A/C running in the villa, is actually better suited for that then. The small desk was very nice, ontop of it was a leather bound book with villa details, dining options, and add ins. Lindz. wanted to do the Mani/Pedi they offered, however those had to be reserved in advance. I wish the vineyard would let guests know add ins needed to be scheduled. The book lists these great features, we probably would have done them, but having to schedule and workaround it, little inconvenience. They could have scheduled it the next day but with check out at 11 and breakfast, etc. but it would have been better to have it pre bistro dinner, ect. Minor inconvenience, but not terrible in any way.

Anyways bistro time. First off, getting ready. The shower. WOW. Set the towel rack on, let it warm up a bit while you listen to music that plays off of their own TV channel. Yes they have their own TV channel, it's set there when you enter the room your first night. They play the same few songs to an info slideshow, but it totally sets the proper mood for the villa. Nice old Frank Sinatra songs, a few Italian songs (Bella Caio, etc.). Anyways, towels toasty, check, premium soaps and shampoos I've never heard of, check, shower turned on, check. Time to enjoy. The shower being a rainshower head, that's awesome. Nice brass colors, tile floor, very big (practically meant for two people), and just looks great. There was a small window about six or more feet off of the ground letting natural light into the shower and bathroom.. The window was insulated too, so it didn't let the cold in just a nice light. The shampoo was the best shampoo I've ever used in my life. My hair is still so smooth from it. Next the soap, very good. I really have to say I've never felt that clean in my life. The only two very minor inconveniences for the shower were: There's no shower door so if you're not under the showerhead you can get a bit nippy, it holds no heat, and the towel rack is next to the door of the bathroom, not by the shower so you walk across the bathroom to get a towel, now the floor gets wet. Again, totally minor inconveniences that do not distract from the experience really whatsoever. The sink is stone and looks so...old and like it's been there forever. On the sink is a coffee maker and a makeup light magnifier thing. On the one side of the wall there is also your commode. It's hidden in it's own room. Even this looks nice. The frosted glass holds the vineyards logo, and the classic amazing Tuscan style walls. So after cleaning up, I was ready, and relax for a bit. Lindzey took longer, she was doing her makeup in one of those lighted mirror magnifier things. I went around and took pictures of the grounds, villa lobby, ect. Once I got back, she was about finished and we had dinner.

On the grounds was also a greenhouse full of fresh plants & flowers, all of this done on site, very incredible.

The bistro is amazing. It is Gervasi's premium food and wine eatery. Our service was excellent, probably the most memorable experience from that night. Our server, Brad was incredible, he went through the wine and recommendations, food choices, ect. The smell was incredible. from the parking lot, it got better as we got to the door. Once inside we were seated, which actually was where we sat for the first time two years ago, very sentimental. One small note while thinking, the menus are presented on these huge copper boards with their logo, how cool! Anyways we started with a wine flight trying three wines. The same three ended up being what we had for dinner.

This was our Dinner--

Appetizers for both of us:
House made garlic bread made on site from baguettes
Salad: Spinach, goat cheese, almonds, clementines, and a cherry vinaigrette
Crab Roll: Jumbo Lump Crab Meat, Cream Cheese, Scallion Aioli, Red Pepper Jam

Dinner:
Lobster Formaggio--House Made Gemelli Topped with Basil Bread Crumbs
House Made Ravioli--Stuffed with Tuscan Kale and Ricotta, Garlic Cream Sauce, Grape Tomato, Zucchini, Squash

Dessert:
Tiramaisu with berries
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce

Wines:
Lambrusco--White sparkling wine, very sweet, tasty, Lindz had this with dinner after wine flight
Dolcetto--Red dry, medium bodied, had sweet notes to it. I had this with dinner after doing a wine flight
Barbera--Red full oak cab. I thought it was a tasty sip drink wine, not a dinner wine but still great
Santo--Dessert Tawny Port style wine (very strong, but great with dessert)

After we got back, another shower for her to wash her hairspray & makeup off, one for me to relax and enjoy. After we got into bath robes and laid in bed, we finished our bottle of Lambrusco we brought back to the room. It kills me knowing that it was a select wine, and can't be ordered or taken off site. The wine was made specially for Gervasi overseas in Italy. Beautiful white wine. We drank some wine, enjoyed the music and lake view from our window, and went to bed. Good night

I HAD THE BEST SLEEP OF MY LIFE

We wokeup refreshed at about 0830 for breakfast. They delivered a continental breakfast handmade for us in an old wooden wine box. Very touching and very enjoyable. They made us two breakfast sandwiches. A bacon, egg, & cheese, a veggie, egg & cheese, a thing of monkey bread, granola bars, and fresh grapes. The fridge in the villa lobby was filled with complimentary drinks, so we grabbed bottles of cranberry juice and orange juice. Very tasty and enjoyable breakfast. It was so hard to get out of bed after that. The beds just said "come sleep and waste the day away." I could have stayed there all day if we didn't have to leave.

After crawling out of bed, we made our way to the shower one more time. Once we got ready we packed up, took some more pictures, enjoyed the views, and checked out. I still miss that room. Even if I didn't get the king suite, I'll take the room I got, everything was amazing

On our way out we checked out with the front desk, turned in our questionnaire about our stay and headed over to the crush house. The Crush House is the vineyards new upscale, relaxed, more casual dining restaurant/bar and also now the winery operations. Two years ago when we went to the vineyard the winery was below the bistro. According to our server they changed from an 8k gallon capacity winery now to about a 30k capacity winery and is rated one of the most scientific wineries in America. They apparently even had Ohio State come out and check the soil for growing the grapes, Stanford made them a grape seed to grow in Ohio's conditions, ect. They put all this in to produce all of this fantastic wine, but then put this amazing food and properties to pair it all with.

Anyways we got to the Crush House right at open. It was more relaxed, being more of a jeans and polo kind of experience. The big difference here is instead of teas, juices, wine, and soda. This had all the above but signature cocktails with their wines and also OYO, an Ohio based liquor brand (very good stuff btw)

Our lunch--

Drinks:
Apricot Bellini--Lambrusco mixed with nectar (also had raspberries)
Glass of Abbraccio (Embrace)--Gervasi's Cabernet Sauvingnon, paired great with my dish as recommended

Appetizer:
Loaded Baked Potato Skins--Pancetta, Scallions, Tomatoes, Garlic Cream, Mozzarella, Provolone, & a buttermilk infusion

Entree:
Steak Florentine--Grilled flat iron steak, carmalized onions, spinach, mushrooms, & bechamel sauce
Also added Noci to the side

On the way out I got pictures of the lower level dining area, the winery that you could see through panes in the walls inside of the crush house, and a few side rooms with beautiful decor. After that, we left the Crush House, our last full visit to the Vineyard...One look around at everything before we departed...After we sighed with sadness that we were leaving such an incredible place, we got in the car and started the long drive south. We at least purchased three bottles of wine to take home with us that we enjoyed. The Lambrusco was Lindz's favorite wine there, I did enjoy it alot, but I did enjoy the Dolcetto red a bit more. To me it paired well with food better, but also could have been used as a simple wine to sit down and relax with. Plus the taste it had was absolutely phenomenal. The Abbracio Cab Sauv. is a great wine, but for me I have to pair it with food or really be celebrating in a fancy way. It's not a come home after a long night and crack a bottle wine, it's too rich for that. The Dolcetto so far takes my pick. The only problem with the first two wines is that almost all of Gervasi's wines are made on property with everything coming from the vineyard except for a few select wines. The Lambrusco, Dolcetto, and Barbera that we tried all were selects. They were fantastic wines, however, they do not let you take these off site in intact bottles. You can purchase a bottle with dinner, but it's not a take home wine sadly.

Anyone who saw this and wants to go, GO THERE. I recommend this place with no questions asked. The grounds and establishments themselves are perfect and really cater to everything. This was like being on a cruse in Canton, OH, which is magnificent. You don't feel like you are in a Northern Ohio rural area. Then on top of it the place really strives to make everything magnificent. Everything from food colors, tastes, decor, smells, ect. there's nothing to complain about. I couldn't even find major nit picks that I have to say I wish they were changed. That kind of product is astounding, and amazing to experience. This place will hurt your budget a bit, my bank account hurt a bit after the trip. However, everything here is INCREDIBLE. No questions asked..

Room Tip: Book in advance to make sure you can secure a room, get add ins purchased in advance, taste wines th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Devan M.,
Thank you so much for leaving your extensive and detailed review! We appreciate it so much. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as your dining experience in the Bistro and the Crush House! Thank you so much and we hope you visit with us again in the future!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
North Ridgeville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

The Villas offer impressive looks, very good service, and a charming setting. BUT, big problems marred the experience. First at 3 and 5 A.M. there were trains that sounded like they were coming through the Villa. The floor of the room is Italian tile - pretty, but 65 Deg. F. The temperature control of the room is slow acting. The bed is for high jumpers and has only a duvet that was tucked in tight too far down the bed. My wife was too warm with it and too cold without, and that plus the trains made for no sleep. Go for the Hampton.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Jim P,
Thank you for taking some time to tell us about your experience. I am so sorry that the trains disturbed you. I realize at 3 and 5 AM that can be rather intrusive. We certainly wish we had control over that. Some of our guests actually find it charming. I apologize that it kept you up.

Regarding the floor temperature control, I am sorry you found that slow to respond. In the winter when outdoor temps are particularly cold our geothermal system does take a little longer to bring a stone floor up to the desired temperature.

I am sorry you found the bed a little high for your taste. We do provide a low wooden step stool for each and every bed in our Inn. They are partially tucked under the bed so the guest can see it when they arrive. Did you not find yours? I apologize for that.

If you could contact me at jeff@gervasivineyard.com or 330-433-2935. I would like to possibly ask you a few more questions. Not only would your feedback be very appreciated, it might help us improve this situation in some way. I certainly appreciate your time and I hope we have not lost you as a customer forever.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

This place was everything I expected and more! I loved the attention to details and all the little things that made out stay here unique. From the dark colored 'makeup' wash cloth to the wall mounted makeup mirror to the awesome beyond awesome bathroom to the heated floors to the personal bath robes and slippers. The common area in each villa was wonderful - comfortable and relaxing with a fireplace - a great spot to meet others in your villa or a social place to relax if you've shared your trip with another couple (or 2 or 3). The breakfast was wonderful - much grander than expected! It came in a quaint wooden wine box with your room number carved into it. It had fresh fruit as well as warm breakfast sandwiches and a couple different fresh pasteries - so good I wanted to lick the wrappers they came in! Everything was relaxing and peaceful. The staff was great - every person we encounted was friendly & helpful. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear TravelScout56,

You are making us blush! We appreciate your reviews so much. I just replied to your Bistro review as well. I am so glad you also enjoyed your stay at our Villas. I have shared your comments with everyone here at Gervasi. Thank you very much and we will look forward to serving you again in the future! Grazie!
Yoe, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was the first time we were able to spend a night in the villas. We've had many meals at the Bistro and piazza, and were dying to be able to experience the villas. The villas, with a common room with and a stocked mini fridge. The room was amazing! The Tuscan decor was tasteful and elegant. Made me feel like I was in Italy! The bed, omg the bed was probably the best bed I've ever slept in, it was like sleeping on a cloud, so if you prefer fir beds you probably won't like it, but seriously between the pillow top, the down comforter and feather pillows, you just melted into the bed. Everything in the room is op notch, from the heated floors the the heated towel rack, the fireplace with a timer. All superb.
The breakfast delivered in the morning was very tasty also. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GervasiVillas, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
cuinthemoon,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Grazie!
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

There are 4 villas, each divided into four rooms, some multi level. There is a common room so it is good for socializing. The theme is tuscan and very romantic. Very different. Our room was 275.00 per night, King bed on second floor, very well done, heated towel racks, just super romantic.
They serve a light breakfast to your door in a.m. which is Tuscan, so, it is classy, my preference would have been Tuscany romance combined with a plain breakfast. LOL. But that is a small thing. There is a railway nearby but while we were there we counted the train going by twice, so it doesn't really distract. The ambience and setting carry the day.
there is a functioning winery and they offer spa and cooking classes. They have a marketplace and a good restaurant called the Bistro. The project is only 4 years old so not that old really, I expected it to be a 40 year staple of Canton Ohio but it is recent, but what they have done in that short time is remarkable. You CANNOT imagine this is set in Canton Ohio, that is remarkable. Service in the restaurant and value was very good. The restaurant building is very old. The service levels are great, all around. This should be heavily promoted by Ohio Tourism because like the Rock and Roll Hall of fame in Cleveland, it is distinctive and would draw people to Ohio. My hats off. The ladies will LOVE IT! LOL
Like Vegas, room rate drops after friday and saturday, so booking for Sunday, Monday can save a lot.

Room Tip: We were in the sorrento villa. I think most of the rooms are good but only so many room have upper a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GervasiVillas, Manager at The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Graeme M,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us, and for your wonderful comments in your review!

I only have one correction, we actually have 6 Villas here at Gervasi for a total of 24 guest suites.

Thank you again and I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My sisters and I took a road trip around northern OH and Gervasi was our last stop. We signed up for a cooking class and decide to spend the night here. We thought the property was jaw dropping. Grape vines line the road as you enter.. It feels and looks more like Napa/Sonoma than Canton. The room was stunning with every amenity possible...including warming bars for the towels. And where do you stay that you can enjoy complimentary beverages, yogurt and fruit? We lit the fire in our room just because! Then we enjoyed a wine cocktail at the "Crush House" before class and three hours later returned for dessert. Breakfast arrives in a wine crate. It was a wonderful surprise of savory and sweet. We walked the grounds before we left and they are stunning. The villas all face a lake. What more could any guest want. I can't wait to return with my husband this spring and take advantage of their golf package. p.s. We had no problem with noise as did some other reviewers and enjoyed the couple we met in the room next to us who were celebrating an anniversary. We enjoyed using the common room for breakfast the next morning as well. What a wonderful destination .

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a bad room on the property. There is only four rooms per villa and onl...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
BIL5050,

I cannot thank you enough for you wonderful review and that you and your Sisters visited us from Columbus! Grazie! Thank you!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I only have one correction regarding your review. We actually have 6 Villas here at Gervasi, for a total of 24 guest suites.

I hope you will stay with us again in the future and thank you very much!

Brecksville, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We celebrated a birthday and Sweetest Day at Gervasi. The Villa was exquisite, the grounds wonderful and the food great. It was a special treat that we hope we can repeat again soon! We at at both the Bistro and the new Crush House and had great food at both. We walked the grounds and Stark Park on a nice fall day.

Room Tip: The King 2-story room allowed us to have a couples massage, which was very, very nice!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen M,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for your wonderful review! We appreciate that very much.

We hope your travels will bring you our way again soon.

Thank you!

Gervasi Vineyard

Been to The Villas at Gervasi Vineyard? Share your experiences!