“Fun and Unique Side Trip from Cedar Point” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Bellevue
Glendale Heights, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“Fun and Unique Side Trip from Cedar Point”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I visited Seneca Caverns with my cousin, on our way back to Chicago from Cedar Point. We originally meant to go to Cleveland, but decided against it because of a big event there. I was so pleasantly surprised after our trip to Seneca Caverns! It's truly a unique natural attraction. They offer tours every 20 minutes to go down into caves that were caused by rock splitting; there's a river that runs below it as well. In the tour, they take you down 200 feet below the surface, and it's so neat they take you right through the basement of the tour center! You're even able to touch or taste water from a real natural spring.

Our guide, Alaina, was very personable and knowledgeable. There were only 5 of us in our group, which was good because the spaces are very small. Beware, however, that it can be considered strenuous because the stairs are "natural," and of varying levels. Exiting requires some climbing; I'm relatively healthy and was slightly short of breath on the way out. It's really only good for those who are ambulatory and comfortable with confined, dim spaces. The caverns are lit with electricity, but there are some time squeezes. I would not recommend it for children, unless they're old enough to climb up and down stairs or other things easily and they're not afraid of the dark. Older children, perhaps 6 and up, I think would be able to handle it.

All in all, it was refreshing to visit something different that wasn't a chain after spending a weekend in Cedar Point and eating fast food. I really enjoyed it.

Visited October 2013

8 attraction reviews
“Neat natural attraction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you're looking for something different to do in the Sandusky area, you should definitely stop here. It's a bit off the main road but worth the drive and money. My husband and I took our 5 kids ranging in age from 15-2. Because its nature made and there are no man made paths or steps my hubby had to carry our little one. He is pretty fit otherwise it would've been difficult. The whole family loved it. And the 2 younger ones enjoyed "mining" for gemstones with their upgraded tickets.

Upstate New York
33 attraction reviews
“Spelunking for the amateur”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were looking for something to do in the afternoon after we finished our morning tour. We arrived at the caverns location in the early afternoon and had to wait about 20 minutes for a tour. The only restrooms our port-a-potties and it would have been nice to have a real bathroom with running water. We read the signs that said you would be required to have some physical exertion on the tour but I never expected the stairs we were led down. I liked the tour and I am glad I was able to experience it but be advised the stairs are "natural" stairs and are of varying depths and heights and most are slippery because they are covered in a wet mud layer. Unlike many other cavern tours you are allowed to touch the rock walls in most places to assist you in ascending or descending the stairs. Most of the open spaces are large enough to stand in but there were a few places you had to duck to get through. The climb back up is a little more strenuous but it was doable. If you want to experience a cave tour that is a little different from others stop in and go spelunking!

Visited September 2013
Farmington Hills, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
“Take a trip 'downstairs'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Read all the reviews VERY carefully before going here because there will be some challenges for those who find it difficult to cimb on uneven, slippery stone steps mostly without handrails. Claustrophics, stay up top! Our group was very large and it would have been more enjoyable with fewer people. I had to stay towards the rear due to an injury I have that made the climbing more difficult, so it was harder to see things when I was in back of a mob. That is, of course, my problem not the operator's. Tall people had to stoop quite a bit.

The rising river had an eerie beauty that looked like something from an Indiana Jones movie. Our guide, Caleb, was very good. I would echo what others said that the gift shop was fun and I bought something I absolutely love!

burlington, NJ
71 attraction reviews
“Awesome!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was a fantastic tour! My sister and I arrived at a random time (around 4pm or so) and were the first to sign up for the next tour group to go down (they took military and student discounts). We brought jackets because we knew that it was going to be a little chilly in the caverns. As we waited for the next tour, we walked around their shop. They have a resident bat who likes to hang out in one of the doorways and I took a peak as the bat slept, oblivious to the tours passing through. Tip: According to our guide, most of the tours don't see any bats in the caverns unless you're on the first or last tour of the day.

Before we actually descended into the caverns, we had to sit down and go through a review with our guide, Alaine. She was funny and upbeat - probably the best guide I've ever had on a cave tour (toured caves in Virginia, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia so far). She was knowledgeable, encouraged questions, and provided interactive stimulation (i.e. - what do you think that is?). She joked around with us and really made the experience worthwhile.

Alaine informed us that we would be going down 5 levels into the fractured cavern that day. Tours normally go down to the 7th level by that time of year, but the tour is limited by the height of the water table/underground river. Our guide informed us that we were lucky as it was the first day we were going down to the fifth level - before that, the 4th level was the lowest level the tours could get to because of the height of the river.

When we saw the river, she encouraged us to touch it/drink from it (once again, very interactive - and the water was very cold!) She told us a little about the divers who were hired to find out the depth of the river (still unknown depth) and about where the river travels to and from. After we saw the river, there was nowhere else to go but back up!

There was plenty of light for the tour and we were encouraged to use the walls and rocks for support as we trekked down and up the different levels (except in one area of the cave which is living and still producing stalactites). It wasn't too difficult to traverse although we were out of breath by the end due to the high humidity in the cavern.