“I found a worm in my salad!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Victor

You added Hotel Victor to your Saves list
Hotel Victor
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Albert Place, Victor Harbor, South Australia 5211, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Victor Harbor
Adelaide, Australia
“I found a worm in my salad!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I didn't really find the staff friendly at this place. Besides that, I found a worm in my salad. That was horrible. I told that to the waiter, she said ohhhh i cant look at that thats gross and walked off with the plate .....my plate came back with a new salad no sorry or anything.....When we were about to leave a different waiter asked how was the meal? We said fine beside the worm on the plate her response was yeah i heard about that and had a good old laugh..... unbelievable i just cant believe no one said a simple sorry or even offer the meal free of charge... Its ok as i will never go or recommend this place to no one as i have never experienced such a horrible dining experience

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

The dining room serves a good old fashioned smorgasboard dinner complete with roast meats and trimmings. You can eat as much or as little as you like. My partner thinks it is fabulous and I think its fair. The roast meat is pretty delicious though but you might have to wait for the man in the big white hat to mosey out to carve for you. The gravy leaves something to be desired and tasted quite artificial to me. There is a wide range of desserts and the soups are delicious and there are choices. The dining room is full of tourists and locals alike as its a pretty good feed. If you are happy with pub meals in fairly plain surroundings then you will be OK with this one. There is a choice to dine a la carte too but its not a difficult decision when faced with a huge smorgasboard. My parents have been back time and time again over some 60 years to this venue and they love staying there. It is centrally located and adjacent the sea and Moylan Reserve which leads over to Granite Island. It is a classic.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

My impressions were not good from the start. The type that make you wish you had not pre booked and had seen the place before you booked. I was left waiting for 5 mins at an unattended reception desk. In the other room I could hear a long phone call so assumed this was reception being busy. A simple wave at this point to say 'be there shortly' may have helped. Someone wandered in, looked at me , the book, flipped a page and wandered off. So I kept waiting and cursing that I had pre booked.

When reception arrived I was told sharply that I was too early. But they said they 'may' have a room ready. This was 1pm. I was given a key and then I had to move my car to the carpark...which unfortunately was full so therefore on to the second carpark which seemed a long walk and with no security.

The stairs are tall. And the room musty and small. There 'was' a view if you stood on tip toe and peeked sideways to the far corner... Not worth the extra...

I wanted an early morning stroll along the beach but the front door was locked until 7am and I could not get out. I assume there was a Fire Escape but at this point I had given up. ( I HOPE there was a fire escape ! )

I had a meal at the restaurant. Another mistake. I was told they could do Gluten Free by a surly staff member. It arrived on a bed of chips. The gill checked twice and assured me the chips were GF. Within 15 mins I knew the meal was not gluten free. I have had pain for days since.

Go elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Victor Harbor, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

As a frequent visitor to Victor Harbor I have stayed at this hotel once before and promised myself I wouldn't come back but this was the last available accommodation in the area on the long weekend for a one night stay. As before the receptionist was barely polite, (and that is me being polite). Knowing I only had myself to blame for deciding to stay here despite previous experience I carried my luggage up the dirty stairs, all the way to the end of the long corridor, to find that the staff were still in the midst of preparing the rooms at that end of the corridor. It was 3pm. Housekeeping said it would be at least half an hour until the room was ready, so on the way back to the car with our luggage I asked if we could have a key to a room that was ready for occupation. Not surprisingly this proved to be too much trouble to organise without great inconvenience to the receptionist so I gave up and went surfing instead. A hot shower between my morning and afternoon surf would have been welcome on a cold day but it was not to be. The room is adequate if rather run down. One is allocated either a room with quite a nice view of the parkland and the causeway to the island (my last stay here), or absolutely no view at all comprising the workings of the hotel as mentioned by another reviewer here, (which is where I am staying today). I was offered $20 off the standard rate of $130 per night when I booked over the phone this morning, so I suppose it's not all bad but really, the poor customer service at the Victor Harbor hotel leaves me wishing there had been room at the Anchorage Hotel, or indeed anywhere else in Victor.......

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Gawler
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

We recently bought three nights accomodation through travel auction advertised on the TV. On arrival we were met by a receptionist who lacked any people contact skills. We got our keys and went to our accomodation. We opened the door and we were confronted by a horrible smelly room.. Off to the local super market and armed with a can of Glen 20 we sprayed the room to make it liveable. We opened the curtain fo the window to be met by an array of airconditioners some 4 to 5 metersfrom the room and a number of chimneys which I believe were from the kitchen. Our dilemma was to sleep in an airless room or open the window and hear the howl of the airconditioners all-night. After a sleepless night we thought another night stay would be too much to handle. It would seem rooms obtained through the travel auction are destined for similar rooms so beware those considering booking through a travel auction The only redeeming factor was the restaurant - quite pleasant!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Our first stop was Lorne where we stayed in the Lorne Hotel overlooking the beach. We managed to walk into the hotel and get a beach view balcony room for $100 pn which we found to be very good value. Easily a 4 star room, normally $140 pn and cheaper than wotif.com.

In fact, we walked into all accomodation along the way and got some good prices, as well as inspecting quite a few other places.

Wasn't overly impressed with the restaurant at the hotel with the garlic bread literally dripping in butter and the $85 seafood platter not using the "freshest" of prawns, mussles or oysters.

It was quite wet and windy (not to mention freezing) at the start of our journey so didnt hang around Lorne all too much.

On the 2nd day we drove to Port Campbell, stopping at the numerous sights along the way including the Cape Ottway Lighthouse and 12 apostles which are truly amazing.

We walked into the Seafoam Villas at P.C which was a 4.5 star apartment overlooking the water for $100 pn. Another bargain.

At sunset we took off for the Penguin Show at London Bridge. Now let me tell you - we waited freezing our butts off for 1.5 hours lol and we were the only one's there after all the buses left. We did eventually see a handful of penguins come up the beach but due to the poor weather and lighting, it was very difficult to see at a distance to be honest. The info centre lady claims that a bigger colony of penguins are also available to be viewed at the 12 apostles.

To warm up after London Bridge, we went straight to the PC Pub and propped ourselves up in front of the log fire there for a huge glass of red! V Nice indeed. The meal here was also very good and huge quantities.

Next day we did the 12 apostles again in the morning
and unfortunately the weather was intermittant showers and windy, so we decided not to do the helicopter ride, much to our dismay! :(

The sun did come out every now and again for good photo ops.

Our next stop was Warrnambool which is only about 70 k's away, but seriously you do not want to rush this section. There is just so much to see and do around here and you literally find yourself driving at 60 kph and stopping every couple of k's. We really enjoyed the cheese factory for lunch. Great Stuff.

When we got to Warrnambool, we went straight to the Whale Watching area at Logans Beach and be-friended the whale "volunteer" Peter - who was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. A couple of glimpses of a whale and calf, before heading off to check into the Country Comfort Motel a short distance away.

Once that was done we headed back to check out the whale action. This area is really well done and they make the most of it. That night we had a very enjoyable dinner/drinks at the huge bowling club in Warrnambool near the Football Club.

The following morning, back down to the beach to check the whale activity with "Pete" the legend. (Thanks for all you info mate) We managed to again get a few glimpses of the whale and calf before she headed south and out of sight.

Unfortunately we had to leave after that and off to Mount Gambier to check out the Blue Lakes and various sink holes which were quite interesting indeed. We stayed at the Golden Chain Arkana Motel that night which I can highly recommend. I actually inspected the 4 motels on either side of this motel before choosing this one if anyone is interested.

This motel offers the best room for the price in all the motels which I inspected.

Then at dark (acting on information obtained from this forum) we hit a huge nearby sinkhole to feed the possums with bread and apple slices. Now that was great fun and we were able to actually pat them! Gold.

Dinner was at the nearby pub and was very nice.

Next day we headed for Robe, intending to stay there but we were dissapointed to find that Lobster season was over, we couldn't find a fresh crayfish anywhere to eat (and the place was dead). So we headed for Kingston SE hoping to find some crayfish and life.

Unfortunately, the same problems here and actually we walked into the restaurant under the big lobster and were unable to raise anyone for lunch service lol.

So we thought, bugger this, lets head for somewhere closer to Adelaide and eventually ended up in Victor Harbour.

We really enjoyed Victor Harbour and stayed at the "Hotel Victor" overlooking the bridge to Granite Island. Good Accomodation/location and they charged us $100 pn instead of rack rate $120 pn. Found out later that wotif has rooms for $80 pn. Slight problems here though with noise from the pub downstairs (juke box) and breakfast was terrible. Eat Elsewhere. We had dinner at the Original Seafood Shop which was good and fresh.

A walk over the bridge to Granite Island revealed a sea lion, but no penguins or whales unfortunately.

Overall we really enjoyed our trip and I have only really glossed over the details of our trip. If anyone has any specific questions I would be more than happy to help.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast and noise downstairs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

I stayed here in October 2004 on election night (!) and this was last minute accommodation, which looked nicer than many of the motels you see when driving into Victor Harbor.

The room was small and basic but nice and had a view out to the main part of Victor Harbor, the bridge that goes out to Granite Island and the ocean. It cost about $90 for the night.

There was a mini bar included and tea and cofffee making facilities. The bathroom was very small.

Our stay here would have been fine except the noise from the band downstairs was very loud. The hotel is on top of a pub which has live music and pokies, restaurants etc. The band didn't stop until around 1am, I guess because it was a saturday.

Apparently there are quieter rooms available, but they are at the back of the hotel and don't have a sea view.

There are plenty of much nicer places to stay in Victor Harbor, but they do cost a bit more. I would only recommend this accommodation as a last minute choice when the nicer places are booked out.

Been to Hotel Victor? Share your experiences!