“Great potential but lacking in some spots” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Authenticity Spa Resort

You added Authenticity Spa Resort to your Saves list
Authenticity Spa Resort
14 - 30 Waterport Road, Port Elliot, South Australia 5212, Australia (Formerly Authenticity Health & Wellness Retreat)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Elliot
Pottsville, Australia
“Great potential but lacking in some spots”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed here two nights, first night was around 28 degrees and we were not offered a fan so we opened a window and then spend the whole night getting eaten by mozzies as the fly screens had gapes. The beds were also pretty hard and the single bed squeaked like crazy. I was there for my birthday and we had arranged a whole day of treatments but firstly we got told they were short staffed so they were going to shuffle us around and I was going to go first in the morning but that never happened and I spend 6 hrs waiting to get a treatment which when I did it was very poor. The pedicure/manicure was very fast and no massaging of feet or hands at all and she only put scrub/cream on one side of my hands, then did a terrible job of painting my nails (missed all the sides). Facial felt nice but left my skin feeling yuck and I am still getting pimples now two weeks later!
Food was yum but VERY small size for the price.

I think this place has so much potential but although very friendly the staff lack knowledge and everyone needs to be more organised.

It's a bit like an over priced B&B.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Gregory D, Director Psychotherapist at Authenticity Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Guest !

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent visit.

We have taken all your points to consideration and will be doing our very best to attend those matters.

I recall we upgraded you to a larger room since you where sharing with three in the bedroom we also made sure you had a fan. We had an absent staff member but did our very best to provide all the treatments which we discussed with you and at the time you expressed your satisfaction with the outcome. We also made sure we were in contact with you on several occasions to ensure you were being looked after. At no time did you indicate any displeasure.

We encourage our guests to voice any of their concerns or requests, during their stay at the resort, so we can assist promptly.

We are in the business of service and nothing pleases as more than a happy guest :)

We would love to hear from you directly and look forward to find a way to address your concerns and welcome you back. Please call our Business Development Manager, Michelle who will assist you personally, on our business phone number.

Thank you once again for your genuine review.

I hope we can look forward seeing you or your loved ones here at the resort..

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My partner booked our accommodation through Living Social as a Valentines present. After being presented with my very thoughtful gift I took a trip ‘the googles’ to check out the reviews.

After reading the reviews I was a little anxious that I may have to cross trenches and barbed wire to get to the toilet and shower. This was not the case.

During a comprehensive orientation tour I was again concerned I would have to walk through the dining area while people were eating their breakfast. As it turned out I was free to walk through any part of the resort in my robe and it felt no different walking through the dining area to shower. As luck would have it and not surprisingly so, the breakfast guests were scattered throughout the sunny outdoor area eating breakfast or reading in front of the open fire whilst sipping their morning tea. There was definitely no danger of an accidental indecent exposure at this time.

Being of fair complexion, I am eyelash and eyebrow challenged without makeup and get extremely blotchy red in the heat. I threw my insecurities aside as soon as I saw my fellow guests also looking naturally beautiful, donned the robe and begin to relax!

Guests can choose to stay couped up in one spot feeling like an intruder or can navigate around the whole retreat as if they are staying with old friends. I suggest the former be someone who lacks communication skills and may not be comfortable with themselves.

As for any Fawlty Towers references or correlations, our experience was the complete opposite. (Although we had a chuckle when there were walnuts in our fresh pear and rocket salad which was fabulous by the way – you must watch the episode with the waldorf salad!)

Yes, it is more expensive, but worth every dollar. There were no outside distractions and I actually enjoyed wearing my stretchy pants and slippers! No need to leave the property at all.

Our dinner and organic wine may have been more expensive than what we are used to but we knew it would be and factored it into our weekend budget. If we stay two nights next time we may consider eating at one of the many recommended local restaurants but let’s face it I’m sure the bill would be equal to if not more than Authenticity set menu when you consider 3 courses and wine. GOOD WINE!

The sauna was a new experience and the follow up spa was amazing. Whilst it was too cold to swim in the pool it was nice to look at. If we had more time we would have utilized the pool spa which I am sure would have been fabulous. Even if it does only seat 3 or 4 why would you want to be any more than arms length from your loved one?

Our bed was comfortable and room well maintained. Our only regret was not footing a bit extra to stay two nights as we just found our groove after our sauna and treatments.

Lastly I could not possibly end this review without a special mention to Dribbles the friendly cat! We loved him the most.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be recommending to friends and work colleagues for sure.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7 with no issues.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest!

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent visit.

First of all thank you so much for your genuine and positive review.

We are delighted to hear that you have had an overall enjoyable stay and were able to enjoy what the resort has to offer, as well as appreciated our genuine hospitality..

Our aim is to provide quality service to the best of our ability. Feedback guides the process of getting it right, it also encourages to keep us doing the things that are most enjoyable to our guests. To that effect a big thank you for encouraging us to continue doing what you appreciated.

We are looking forward to seeing you and your loved ones here at the resort at your next visit.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Spent a very enjoyable 3 nights and indulged in a lot of pampering....scrub, massage, facial and mud wrap. The times for our treatments was changed from our original booking (and confirmation). Dinner was delicious but it was a set menu each night and not a cheap option. Port Elliot is an easy 15 minute walk and has many interesting shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Suggest travellers request a room with an ensuite bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Gregory D, Director Psychotherapist at Authenticity Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest!

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent visit.

First of all thank you so much for your genuine and positive review, what comes from the Heart Touches the Heart.

We are delighted to hear that you have had an overall enjoyable stay and were able to enjoy what the resort has to offer, as well as appreciated our genuine hospitality. It takes an open Heart to see another :)

Our Dinners are priced at a very low cost considering that most restaurants offer their main course at approximately 28-42 dollar mark. We offer a three course dinner using the best of our local and in house produce. We grow some and very selectively purchase from our local organic growers and producers at premium prices. We take in consideration you stay here and offer you a three course dinner at a low $42. We apologise if that was to steep for you. We also offer life music by our resident Italian musician on Saturdays.

This is all set in an intimate setting which you are assured you don't just become a number or table. We have however taken your comment seriously and will look into how we can make appropriate changes where possible.

Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

i really enjoyed the vegetarian cuisine at authenticity even though i myself am not a vegatarian... the atmosphere is very Mediterranean which is reflected well in the food.. pool area is spectacular and the lounge had an awesome chandelier i just LOVED along with lots and lots of cool books to read. my treatments were fantastic to . i had a massage and facial highly suggest you indulge in some of the treatments while you are there

Room Tip: the junior suit is spectacular ,def worth the few extra $$$$
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My partner and I were initially enchanted by the beautiful grounds and charming old building, we had a very romantic room on the top floor ande were looking forward to our stay. Thankfully we only booked for one night as it was the most uncomfortable night I can remember. Being on the top floor in the middle of summer one would hope for some form of air conditioning, perhaps even a ceiling or pedestal fan..no such luck !! We both had to have multiple cold showers [in the shared bathroom ] both in the afternoon and during the night just to stay cool, we even slept, or should I say tried to sleep, with the bedroom door and window open just to create some air flow.Next came dinner..after an unappetising meal of a portion of stuffed zuchini and tomatoe, a salad, and a dry slice of cake filled with nuts..we were that hungry we drove into Victor Harbour and ended up getting servo food at 1am, as well as tea and coffee as there is none to be had in your room. When leaving this beautiful yet very expensive resort we suggested to reception they get some airconditioning for their guests..the reply was..." why didn't we ask for a fan?" Why shuold we have to ask for something as basic as a fan in the middle of summer ? Good luck with your stay, we definately will never come back.

Room Tip: If it's hot avoid an upstairs room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gregory D, Director Psychotherapist at Authenticity Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent visit with us. Feedback is important in order to understand what we can do better . My apologies for not meeting all your expectations, and thank you for highlighting the things you have enjoyed.

Authenticity is at a original 1864 Manor and whilst not all the trims of the modern world are present what you do get is a lot of charm and character. A step back in time.

The Spa is not a Hotel it is a Manor, so the Bedroom is not fitted as a studio apartment and with only 6 bedrooms the whole house is available to you. Being as original as it is the ceiling can not be fitted with air-conditioners or any additional weight or movement a ceiling fan will create (something we are looking into). However there is only a hand-full of nights that it gets warm. For most of the time our guests comment how cool the house stays in summer and how warm in the winter. The Walls are thick and the ambient temperature pleasant.

If you fancy a tea you are encouraged to go to the tea room just few steps away. We have two lounge rooms beautifully decorated, they are there for you to use as is any area in the House, you book the house not the bedroom.

We do have telephones paced around the house, in your bedroom, the hallway and the tea room so you can always reach the office during the day or the kitchen until later in the day and ask for service an after hours number is also available. We take any request seriously and prompt to fulfil any need as promptly as possible.

As for the food we get nothing but complements even the die hard meat eaters can't stop raving about our cuisine, a quick glance at our face book should satisfy anyone. We continuously receive requests for a cook book even from top chefs. Unfortunately it seems not to your taste.

Once again thank you for taking time to write your comments and feedback we are most certainly taking every step to improve were possible at all times. Warm Regards Gregory
Warragul, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our overall experience was good but there was a hint of "Fawlty Towers" to the whole experience. Our booking for a treatment had not been registered in the system, make sure that you get a confirming email! We had not realised that the meals were ll vegetarian (and delicious) and we had not understood that we did not have an ensuite but had to walk through the dining room to go to our bathroom and toilet! As for a Spa Resort - the "Spa" sits 3 people and you have to ask for it to be turned on and heated up.
That being said it is a family run operation and very friendly but could do with a non related professional manager to pull it all together and realise its potential.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gregory D, Director Psychotherapist at Authenticity Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear John !

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent visit with us.

The best compliment you can give us is to let us know what you think of your experience at the resort.

Feedback serves an important function in our ability to understand what our guests appreciate most so we can do more of it and what not so we can improve.

To that end we are delighted that your overall experience of the resort was an enjoyable one and that you and your wife were able enjoy and appreciated our genuine hospitality, good food (alas vegetarian), wine and what the resort has to offer.

We have taken you suggestions and recommendation seriously and will be improving were possible.

It was unfortunate you didn't have an en suite It is procedure at the time of booking to let our potential guests know that not all rooms have their own en suites and options are available for upgrades.

We are offering a stay at a 1864 Manor renovated in a sympathetic manner. As it is in Tuscany Province and other picturesque Towns and manors in Europe. This sometimes means the usual modern hotel facilities are not there but what is is plenty of charm character and authenticity.

The Spa is heated upon request as it is not environmentally sound to have equipment or anything for that matter running when it is not in use. The estimated time is generally 20 min and most quests are happy to rest and wait whilst it is heating up. We apologise if that has been an inconvenience.

We are certainly looking forward to having you here at the resort again, and will be doing our very best to provide with the very best we have to offer.

Gregory Damaskos
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had a wonderful two night stay at Authenticity.
The house was very warm and welcoming, the
interior decoration elegant and appropriate
- a little like a nineteenth century interpretation
of classical architecture, updated sympathetically
for the present day - lovely gardens that worked
in well with this kind of design aesthetic.
The food was just so delicious. Obviously the
cook put a lot of thought into this, and I came
away inspired.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Authenticity Spa Resort? Share your experiences!