“Very shocked at owners behaviour, and have changed my mind after my previous review” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kingsbrook

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Chris needs to realise that people coming for a function ( wedding, engagement, corporate ) that he charges a lot of money for, expect be welcomed, not treated with contempt, he is the host, and therefore should act as one.

We attended a function recently, and, if it wasn't for guests acting as function co-ordinators it would not have gone as well as he had previously promised. Basically, we didn't see him, and after reading the new reviews, I am not surprised....

Anna, and the wonderful staff in the kitchen and bar deserve a medal, they were very helpful and I hope Kingsbrook can survive the arrogance that Chris displays towards his guests.
It is a magnificent setting, the food is lovely, but, at no point does he deserve any credit towards how the function went.
Chris, If you don't want to be in hospitality, don't take peoples money, don't treat people with the disdain that you do, go retire somewhere and let someone run the beautiful place that you created, and seem to have lost all interest in, such a shame.
You promise so much on your website, and delivered so little, Andre Ursini and his wedding at Kingsbrook featured in SA Life and varied Bridal Mags was quite misleading. Or maybe they employed people to clean up the Orangery, restaurant, and outdoor area????
Would I suggest an event there, prob not... which is a huge shame ,as it is spectacular.
Hey, take a risk, just employ an event co-ordinator, who, as in my experience, Chris will just mock further.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Adelaide
“Shocked at owners behaviour”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I was invited to a party at kingsbrook recently. It started at about 4.30 in the afternoon in the stunning gardens with champagne and canapés.The owner was milling around always with a wine and cigarette in hand and on chatting to him, he was very arrogant and forthright with his opinions and judgements of others including the person having the party.
At about 8 we moved in for dinner in the covered outdoor area. The food was lovely and presentation was great but it was very cold and no heaters were provided in the outdoor covered area. The owner sat not far away and would sometimes join the party but was getting quite drunk and the smoke from his cigarette was invasive. His two dogs romed freely and barked incessantly all night and were a little intimidating.
At about 10.00 we found out that our $75 a head 3 course meal had turned into a $50 a head two course meal because the owner had forgotten about dessert and tea and coffee. The owner was completely inappropriate in talking and criticising the host of the party to some of the guests there because he was losing money on the event and wished he had said no to the host having the party there. He then proceeded to fondle one of the guests breast as he walked past. This is sexual harrassment and completely imappropriate.
I'm not sure how the evening ended because I left when others were leaving because of safety in numbers around the intimidating dogs and it was too cold. I would not recommend having any sort of event there. The owner was very free in commenting and criticising everyone and anyone he wanted. I was disgusted.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Disgraceful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

There should've been much positive to say about our recent attendance at a function held at Kingsbrook. The food is beautiful, the grounds exceptional and the on site accommodation cosy and quaint. Unfortunately, the shambolic and drunken mess of the owner completely tainted our experience. My first few encounters with him led me to believe he was a little rude and offhand. If this had been my only experience during our evening, I would've been quite happy. As it turns out, his disgraceful behaviour as the night progressed crossed the line of appropriateness on every level. I'm assuming that because the Estate is his home, he feels completely justified in crashing in on events being held there. He seems to miss the point that this is a place of business and we are not his friends, rather paying for the privilege of having to witness and experience his appalling behaviour, which included lewd comments and groping female guests. I felt very sorry for the poor waiting staff, a young but friendly crew who were trying their best to manage an event in amongst such chaos. I also got the impression this was not the first time they had been faced with this scenario. The guests ended up choosing to finish the event early, simply to get away. Disgusted sums up my feelings.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Dangerous for kids. Aggressive dogs ruined atmosphere.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

What a disappointing day. Waitress was nice but the food took forever to come out and only then it was the kids menu. The dogs stole their food off the table and constantly had to be told off for attempting to bite them. They were scared and in fear as these aggressive mongrels that had no restraint from the owner who smoked next to the eating area. Pizza was very average, thinner the pastry an less the topping seems the trendy thing these days but these just lacked flavour. My pork belly's crackling was under done and
chewy, and the brulee was tiny with 1 piece of pistachio bread for $15... Our host who recommended this place to us was left embarrassed. As we left one of the dogs attacked the owner and he waved goodbye to us with his hand wrapped in a table napkin covered in blood! How bizarre!!??

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Australia
“Fresh, locally sourced produce, excellent pizzas, beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I can understand some of the previous reviews, but, after visiting twice in the last couple of months, cannot find any fault with the food, exceptionally delicious.
Yes, its pricey, but, its delicious, the best lamb I have had in years and cooked to perfection.
As was the steak on our second visit. Others with us tried the pizza, pork belly, fish, all great.
The dogs are now in the garden area, so should not be a concern to people not used to European style restaurant's where dogs roam!
And that's the feel of this place, laid back, but elitist, service is ok, sometimes a bit slow with drinks, but, well worth the wait.

• Visited November 2013