“Good rooms at good rate with great care.” 4 of 5 stars

Goolwa Central Motel
30 Cadell Street, Goolwa, South Australia 5214, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Goolwa
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Good rooms at good rate with great care.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at Goolwa Central in March with my boyfriend and few days ago the owners have contacted me asking to write a review for the place.

Have to say that we enjoyed staying at this motel. It is not grand, but owners were incredibly helpful and made me and my boyfriend feel very welcome. They are both of European background and went above and beyond to help us and make our getaway special.

I am really not sure what some people are complaining about, maybe they just met them on a bad day or something, but I guess we all tend to write negative rather than positive things. Or maybe Europeans come across as abrupt, but really it's just their style of communication, short and to the point, but Aussies are a bit sensitive at times IMHO.

In any case, the air conditioner and digital TV with inbuilt DVD player worked well. Bed was nice and soft. Spa worked as it supposed to. Breakfast was standard but complimentary so no complains. :)

Dinner was terrific. HIGHLY RECOMEND CHICKEN WITH PRAWNS!!! Hmmmm...

Main thing, once again, was the love and care that owners showered us with on the day.

Many thanks!

Room Tip: Spa room was great. So ask if they have any specials on for the deluxe packages.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was a rather pleasant experience. Good size rooms, free breakfast and pool, digital tv and soft beds (I had a sore back after rowing on the river all day, so needed something comfortable).

Really no complains.

The only issue was that the owners seemed to be a tired and for some reason felt obliged to share with me that they work every day from 6 am till 9 pm without holidays. But I guess it's understandable given that they are a bit old and running business on their own.

Other than that, it was a good experience for a price well within my budget.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room with the balcony and highly recomend it. A bit on expensive side but VERY spaci...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ceduna, South Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed at this motel on Sunday of the Adelaide Cup Weekend. The weather was hot, and unfortunately after running the airconditioner for several hours, it was still only blowing "air", nothing cool. We had to roll the bed over to the other wall to take adantage of the slight breeze emanating from the A/C, and one wheel fell off the ancient bed during this relocation. Bed was so soft that when one of us shifted position, the other nearly bounced out of bed. I was asked in the morning if we had had a comfortable night, but when told of the problems, the woman behind the desk didn't want to know. She talked about how much they had spent on the motel, and blamed previous customers for setting the controls on the A/C. No apologies, or a symathetic hearing. We overheard another customer very vocally voicing her displeasure as well, so it wasn't just our opinion. Won't be recommending this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Our checkin friendly and efficient. The rooms booked - family and a twin share roomy, clean and comfortable The airconditioner a bit noisy but cooled the room well.. Breakfast supplies plentiful. The plunge pool clean and refreshing on a hot weekend. Overall good service and value for money. Thankyou.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Mixed review - 1st staff member we met was extremely welcoming and informative. Room was large and comfortable - typical of it's era - bare brick walls etc. Very happy with cleanliness and motel was located in a good spot on main street but our room was behind the street so was lovely and quiet for sleeping. Old analogue TV and noisy 70's a/c. But they are rewiring for digital TV so that will overcome one problem. Bed was pretty comfortable (and I'm very fussy due to back problems). Did have interaction with a younger member of staff who mumbled and spoke very indistinctly and couldn't seem to follow what I wanted to know which was such a contrast to the first person I met. Met one of the housekeeping staff and she was very helpful and friendly. They service the rooms every day something I haven't encountered for quite a while. Overall a reasonable experience for the price. A lovely town with plenty to see and do.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My name is Gala,
I checked into the Goolwa Central Motel for 4 days after my wedding in May 2011.I was given the honeymoon suite and it was a delightful, very spacious room with SPA and a wall size mirror that made the room even bigger.
Hosts were aware that we are new weds and they congratulated us on arrival and give us bottle of Champagne for our private celebration.
We had wonderful dinners in the dinning room. The attention from all of the staff of the motel and restaurant was exceptional good. They mad us feel very welcome and very special.
I am recommending this lovely place to all my friends. Thank you, guys.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Not sure how I can write a review before I have actually stayed at the hotel..but this is based on the direct dealings and customer service I have just had with this awful motel.

3 weeks ago I booked 3 nights accommodation over the easter weekend. It was for a family apartment and was to be my husband and I (with our toddler) taking my parents away for 3 nights.
We have a terrible illness in the family.,therefore in an email on the weekend and a phone call i apologised that due to these circumstances we are no longer able to stay and I I was incredibly sorry.
This morning I received the most hideous from the motel owner telling me that it was "bad luck" and I should have told him weeks ago(What, tell him that someone is dying - how does that work?).

He talked over the top of me, told me to "shutup" and said he will take $150 out of my credit card which I gave him when I originally booked.

Apart from this the way he spoke to me was disgusting and I was in tears and ended up hanging up on him.

These people run a business yes, but they were I was dealt with was AWFUL. I probably would have also changed the weekend to another but after the conversation and been told to shutup..NO WAY!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Goolwa Central Motel? Share your experiences!