“If you want ambience ,service and food equal to anywhere in the world, put Eden House at the top of your to visit list.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa

You added Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa to your Saves list
Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   20 Gillies Highway, Yungaburra, Queensland 4884, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Yungaburra
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Eden House has a lovely anbience in a beautiful setting. The villas are beautifully appointed with a feeling that you are the only ones there. The food is fresh and stronly showcases the areas foodbowl, equivalent to the best you could find anywhere in the world, the staff were friendly, knowlegable and efficient. Wow what a find.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My fiancee and I stayed here over a recent long weekend, and while the property itself was comfortable and pleasant, we will not return because of a sour taste left in our mouths by the attitude of the assistant manager, Susan.

On a recommendation from a workmate, and based on the reviews here, we booked our weekend's accommodation here. I booked through their website and at the time of booking, I noted the 'room and breakfast' rate was the same as the rate which also included a massage each and a dinner at their restaurant. Naturally I booked this package, thinking it was probably a special deal at the time, and received email confirmation of this price with its inclusions.

The next day however I received a telephone call from Susan who rang to inform me that the rate I had booked was not available and there had been an error on the website. She did not apologise for any confusion (and instead had a curt tone which almost insinuated I had deliberately tried to rip them off!) and offered to sell me a similar package (with less inclusions than the initial booking had offered), and for $200 more - naturally I declined. My first inclination was to stick to my guns, given I had written confirmation of the deal and the price, or withdraw my booking and stay elsewhere on principle, however conscience got the better of me and I decided to 'do the right thing'. We decided instead to support the local small business and changed our booking to B&B only at the correct rate. We tried to book a simultaneous massage for the two of us on the Saturday afternoon, but unfortunately this was not available as Susan explained theirs is only a small spa. We had no problem with this and decided not to arrange any massage sessions.

A week before we arrived, Susan was kind enough to send through an email to see if we wanted to make any bookings for dinner or massages, given it was anticipated to be a busy weekend. This was appreciated and we booked dinner, but no massages.

My fiancee injured her back in the days leading up to our weekend away, so after the drive from Townsville she was feeling quite sore. When we arrived, we explained this to Susan and asked if there might be any available bookings for her to have a last-minute massage. To this, Susan replied "You people make me so angry when you do this! This is why I asked you to book ahead!". We were more than a little taken aback by this response and very nearly walked away, but her back was really very sore so she booked in for a half hour massage. For the record, my fiancee reported the spa was very pleasant, and the masseuse was good.

That night we had dinner at the restaurant - the food was very good, as was the service.

After checking out on the Monday, I received a phone call from Susan to let me know that I had left my iPod cable in the villa. Unfortunately I was out of radio range when she rang and we were already 2 hours away by the time the voicemail came through, so on returning home I contacted Susan to ask if she would post it back to me, and offered to reimburse her for the postage. I was surprised to read in her reply email that she would charge me $10 for postage, when really the post bag and stamp would have cost less than $5. I replied to Susan that I would have thought instead that she would have taken the cable to the post office and charged me for the cost of the satchel and postage. I reminded her of the error on their part with my initial booking and thought perhaps it would be a gesture of goodwill for her to do this.

She did not reply to this email, but a few days later I received my cable with an enclosed credit card docket (using my preauthorised credit card) for $10.25 - that is, $10 for her postage fee, plus 0.25% credit card processing fee!!

I am aware that I may sound petty by squabbling over this small amount, but it is the principle of the matter, not the money itself which has galled me. Susan's general attitude, from her response to their initial mistake with the reservation, to her perfunctory reply to our query regarding massage bookings, and finally the saga of the lost cable reminded us that it doesn't matter how nice your restaurant or rooms are - in the hospitality industry it's the staff that make all the difference.

The place was nice enough, but our experience was soured and when we next return to the region we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
edenhousegm, General Manager at Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
We are very sorry to hear that the reviewer’s experience with one of our team overshadowed what would otherwise have been a very positive review.
I can assure readers that the difficulties encountered by this reviewer are a very isolated incident – indeed we receive a great number of rave reviews on the friendliness of our staff – particularly Susan. I am unable to speculate as to why this reviewer has had a contrasting experience, but would like to offer our sincere apologies that this has marred their stay with us.
An unfortunate part of our industry is that sometimes, despite best intentions, things do not go as planned. We pride ourselves on doing everything we can to rectify the situation if and when things go awry. I am sorry to hear that in this instance, we fell short in our efforts to accommodate our guest’s requirements. This feedback will certainly be used to improve the way we manage these interactions in the future.
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

If you need somewhere to relax and get away from the everyday grind or to just spoil yourself and your partner this is the apart of the world you most come too. The wonderful people at Eden House will make it feel like a home away from home. The service, food and spa facilities are world class. we can't recommend this retreat enough. Thank you to eden House for such an amazing stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for a wonderful review!
townsville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

The breakfast was just sensational, the staff were fabulous. We especially wanted to mention how fantastic it was that the staff especially got a banana in for our young son for breakfast. The food for the wedding was to die for. The staff was friendly and helpful which showed from the moment we arrived. Our room had ants and the staff upgraded us which was just wonderful. I would recommend the venue for any funcion espeically weddings and the garden/spa cottages were perfect for our young family. We will be staying at Eden house again in the near future for sure!!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
edenhousegm, General Manager at Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2010
Thank you very much for the great review! It is always pleasing to hear that our staff continue to 'go the extra mile' - it's such an important part of what we do.
We were very sorry that your stay was 'gatecrashed' by the ants, but appreciate your understanding of our challenges with garden accommodation and tropical, wet season summers! Also glad to hear you enjoyed the upgrade to one of our Spa Cottages - it was our pleasure.
We hope to welcome you back to Eden House again soon.
Ayr
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Eden House is absolutley a delight to visit, particularly if you are wanting to rekindle and bond with someone special, don't forget to treat yourself to the day spar, it was fantasticly relaxing and great start to the evening - life is to short not to experience the retreat of Eden House - Enjoy.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
edenhousegm, General Manager at Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2010
Thank you to the reviewer for their kind words. We can wholeheartedly recommend the spa, but advise guests to book ahead to ensure we are able to accommodate their treatment. As a small spa, times tend to book out early and it is rare that we have spare therapists available for 'spur of the moment' bookings.
Otherwise, we will do everything we can to make sure your time with us is as relaxing as this reviewer's.
Townsville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

From the moment we checked everything about the stay was enjoyable. We were greeted by friendly host Jason, given a map to view platypus and enjoy a leisurely walk around a nearby creek. We had dinner at the restaurant - superb. The rooms were tastefully decorated, very comfortable and the complimentary port was a very nice touch.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
edenhousegm, General Manager at Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2009
Thank you for a great review! As was pointed out, there are lots of wonderful, relaxing walks in and around Yungaburra, and our staff are only to happy to point you in the right direction. If you are lucky, you may even see a rare Platypus at Peterson Creek.
Lockyer Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

We would recommend this great place to couples. Very friendly staff who went out of their way to help us. Quiet and very private location. Great cottage (no.10) complete with two person spa - clean and spacious. We felt it was close to 5 star. All the little touches like complimentary port, special selection of mini bar options, quality linen, blankets and towels (which were plentiful), air conditioned, comfortable bed, robes and down pillows. Plunger coffee and macadamia cookies in the room instead of the usual instant! We had dinner on the verandah - I had Salmon Tortelli and very tasty Chicken Pie and my husband had Calamari entree and Barrimundi main - sadly couldnt fit desserts in. We both had the Country Breakfast which was great serving size and perfectly cooked, juice and toast and plunger coffee.

Our only suggestion, perhaps a wide tyred trolley to get your luggage along the gravel path to your cottage.' We hope to stay again next time we are in the area, hopefully have time to get some time in the spa. Would be the perfect place to have a small wedding!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
edenhousegm, General Manager at Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2009
On behalf of all of our team, thank you very much to the reviewer for sharing their positive experience at Eden House. As always, we are very pleased to hear such positive feedback, and are glad that our attention to the 'little things' has left such a good impression! We hope to welcome you back to Eden House again soon, even if it is a little further from home than would be ideal!

Been to Eden House Retreat and Mountain Spa? Share your experiences!