“Mission beach retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Mission beach retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights with 2 other girls and ended up extending my stay. The owners are 2 of the most welcoming and caring individuals I have ever come across, reason alone to go back here. The place is very chilled, clean and great for meeting new people of all ages. We also booked our skydive through the owners here ;Richard and Anthea who made the whole experience less nerve wracking, and more exciting. Overall a very positive stay, and we were made to feel very welcome. - Nathalie, Clare and Laura

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here for one night before moving onto airlie beach.

Picked up at the greyhound which was great for a short drive to MBR.

On checking in girl was really friendly and helpful along with Richard and we were shown to our rooms.

Rooms- very small but we expected and for the price who am I to complain as I wasn't paying ritz prices! I echo the previous review as the room was full of cobwebs and just needed some TLC.

Shower next door was dirty and full of ants at top of the shower so just made sure we were in there quickly! But shower was lovely and hot.

Wifi is not free but is cheap to buy I think it was $5 for 2 hours.

In terms of mission beach it reminded me of the town ambrose from the movie house of wax, everything is closed at 3pm should you want a coffee etc, there are one or two restaurants to grab a bite to eat we ate at sand bar which was okay but the takeaway a few doors away from MBR is really good value!

One night was enough in mission as again there are only a few restaurants open at night and late afternoon and even in the morning everything seemed closed. There is a mini mart should you want a few basics.

The girl from Tasmania and Richard were very friendly to us which was really nice and a big thank you to them, the girl who dropped us to the greyhound didn't speak and wasn't very friendly I found.

With a little TLC and updating by the owners and some cleaning done this place would be really good hence the average.

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

When we got to mission beach from the greyhound we were picked up by a courtesy bus, it is about 10 minutes drive away and in nothing is close by but the beach! The room we were given was ok but wasn't very clean we had cobwebs in the corners of the room and the bathroom was really dirty there was a cockroach in the shower for 2 days and ants around it! The hostels kitchen and lounge area is nice with a comfy sofa and big tv however the young people that worked there were not very welcoming and always seemed to be moody. It is a decent place to stay for a few days but there is nothing to do, you have to get the bus to the supermarket if you want food (the hostel does take you there at certain times if you ask though) The only thing to do in this area is a skydive!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Airlie Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Me and my girlfriend were supposed to stay here originally just for one night to do a sky-dive the next day. We booked the sky dive through the hostel and the owners Richard and Anthea are so nice and extremely helpful. Anyways, done the sky dive which was amazing, but somewhere along the way that morning we lost our one and only car key! :-/ Which was a pain and very stressful. The owners Richard and Anthea bent over backwards to help us out, from sorting us out with accommodation to ringing other hostels to see if it was handed in and ringing a local locksmith to sort out the car. (Are car key turned up in a nearby shop so didn't have to get the locksmith.) I highly recommend this hostel. Its clean, fun, informative and the staff are so friendly. Great place to stay, Thanks again Richard and Anthea! #11 out of #10!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I ended up staying here for 7 weeks and I was happy to call the Retreat my home.
The owners Richard and Anthea are most helpful with booking activities and also my camper van with a much appreciated saving. They are always cheery and a warm greeting was always had when returning home. Their dog Gilly deserves a special mention too as he is just adorable and is at his happiest when he is soaking wet!
The hostel is located a stones throwaway from the beautiful beach. There is a small supermarket, shops, bars, takeaways all close by. The hostel also has a shuttle bus which runs regularly the whole day to Woolworths so we could get our shopping in.
The hostel is connected to a local bar called Zenbah which is 2 minutes away - they do great value backpacker meals - these change regularly too. The chef Chris has to be commended on his creativity and willingness to accommodate, this includes cooking a very special and tasty vegetarian dish for my last night in Mission Beach. Thanks Chris! All in all they gave me such a lovely send off, it was very hard to leave this slice of paradise and I hope to return one day. It was my favourite and most memorable hostel stay in Australia and I have been here over 9 months now.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

lovely homely hostel located right next to mission beach. Picked us up and dropped us off from the greyhound station and took you to the local supermarket to get your shopping sorted. The staff were lovely couldnt do enough for you esp[ecially Dan he was lovely from the moment we checked in. The atmosphere was brillent with the beach nearly on your door step which was quiet and peaceful one of the best beaches ive been to.
Great atmosphere, great staff, great hostel would deffinatly stay here again and recommened to everyone. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have stayed in many different hostels all over the world and this has to be one of the best out there. They do everything for you and are so helpful in everything you can want. Great atmosphere, great staff, clean, tidy and has everything available with no hidden costs involved for linen or cooking utensils.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mission Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!