“Nice atmosphere but.......” 2 of 5 stars

15 The Esplanade | Cottontree, Maroochydore, Queensland 4558, Australia   |
Esperance, Australia
“Nice atmosphere but.......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Thought I would write a quick review about our stay here.

I visited Maroochydore with my fiance and booked a private room at this hostel. I've stayed at many backpackers so I know the deal and that's fine, we like the vibe in hostels. The problem was however for some reason the owner has the cleaners come in at around 7am and do all the vacuming. The walls are very thin, so the noise is quite loud and I couldn't sleep through it. I thought it was just a one off so didn't say anything, but it was exactly the same the next morning.

I commented to the owner who replied, yeah i know, the cleaner as another job afterwards so we have to do it then. I wasn't happy with this, as we were on holiday and not wanting to be forced awake so early. So asked for a refund, which of course was denied, part of the fine print when you sign in. On top of this they had fruit pickers staying there who got up at 5am and banged around in the kitchen which also forced me awake.

Maybe i'm missing the mark as it is a hostel, maybe i should have known that this kind of thing happens in hostels. The location is great and the people are nice, however If your like us and thinking of doing something similar for a holiday, i suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

i came to stay at cotton tree backpackers alone as i wanted to explore maroochydore, i got to the hostel and the owner was very unhelpful, in fact it seemed like i was bothering her by checking in. i was then taken upstairs to an 8 bed dorm with windows flying open, no security at all and floor hadnt been vacuumed in years. i was then awoken by the owner coming in to fling open the curtains at 9am. i honestly felt like i was back at home and living with my mother in the way that the hostel treats its guests. there were rude signs up everywhere with orders and commands, demanding only 3 minute showers, not allowed to shave in the shower, not allowed to have tap on while cleaning teeth. these are only a few examples of the hostile notices placed all round the hostel. avoid if you want to meet people or be independant.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

This is the best backpacker i hav ever stayed till now. Ah, damn, i hav no words to define, its just cool, [-] perfect in every sense.

Everyone visiting Maroochy, simply go to cotton tree backpacker. Be yourself

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Booked a couple of nights and stayed 3 weeks. Hostel is old but clean and very homely. Everyone was very friendly and the staff were extremely helpful. It's so close to the beach and they have free surf boards and bikes. Not a party hostel - thank goodness! Loved it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

I'm just back from staying in this hostel for four days, and I feel strongly enough about it to post a review.

Good points:

The location is great - five minutes walk from the beach.
The room was nice - small but clean and pleasant.
The resident dog Nelson was friendly.

Bad points:

The kitchens were dirty. Okay, in backpackers kitchens will get dirty, as lots of people are bad at tidying up after themselves. But really, it was disgusting.

The kitchens are very very understocked - just a few plates, glasses etc. The knives wouldn't cut anything, etc etc etc...

The worst however, was the attitude of the owner/manager. She seemed to just not like people, and was perpetually aggrieved. She gave the hostel an unpleasant feel. I don't know if I have ever stayed in a less friendly place.

I would definitely not return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Beijing
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

We have just got back from staying 4 nights at this hostel, we only stayed that long as we couldn't get in anywhere else. I can honestly say that me and my partner have travelled the world and this is the worst hostel we have ever stayed in. Although our double room was very nice the communal areas are absolutly disgusting. We ate out every night even though we couldn't really afford to just so we didn't die from food poisoning. There are very abrupt notices all over the hostel about house rules but nothing is reinforced e.g the hostel should be quiet after 10pm, it is actually still loud at 4am in the morning. Your rooms are also in the middle of the communal areas so every time someone comes in the kitchen , comes up the stairs etc you are disturbed. - Don't stay here unless you like to feel like you are a student again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife and I have stayed in a few backpacker resorts across Australia, but this would have to be the worst of the lot. Our room (and the entire building) looked tired and in need of a renovation. The only saving grace is the location, right opposite the beach.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cottontree Backpackers? Share your experiences!