“Rock wallabies! ” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #3 of 12 Attractions in Mareeba
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: At Granite Gorge visitors have a fantastic opportunity to get close with the wild rock wallabies in their natural habitat. You can hand feed them macropod pellets which we have available. The Mareeba unadorned rock wallabies (Petrogale inornata, Mareeba race) are rare and endangered and only seen up close here.The wallabies are unique to this area of Mareeba. They are known to be on the top of a couple of mountain ranges but this is the only place they can be seen up close and fed in the wild. Possums, 5 types of gliders, Frilled necked and other lizards, 2 types of quolls, turtles and echidnas inhabit the gorge and park area. On winter nights dingo howls can be heard way down the gorge.
Winnipeg, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Rock wallabies! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The campsite was very nice and the facilities were clean! We thoroughly enjoyed the trails around the area and our time spent with the rock wallabies! These cute little critters were friendly and adorable! Almost every female had a joey, which was a beautiful thing to see and experience. As an animal enthusiast, it was sad to see the resident parrots receiving suboptimal nutrition in their bowls and a lack of toys... Overall though a great experience.

Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“great park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Every year when we visit Nth Qld we go to Coffee Works in Mareeba to buy some coffee and then pay a visit to Granite Gorge. As Mareeba is always a bit warmer than Cairns and the Northern beaches, we found December through to March was too hot to walk around the Gorge however any other time is great for walking or exploring the park. Our main reason for visiting is to get up close to the rock wallabies who will come over to you looking for some food. When you pay the entrance fee you can purchase some food for the wallabies for a small fee but it's definitely worth it. Once the wallabies know you have food for them they come right up to you even grabbing hold of your hand to eat the food from it. It is also possible to go swimming there in the creek and there are also small turtles in the water. A great place to visit.

Brisbane
5 attraction reviews
“Authentic bush experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We spent 2 nights in one of the well appointed and tidy cabins and more time walking, exploring and getting up close and personal with the rock wallabies. What a great place to visit. An absolute must when on the Tablelands.

Wellington, New Zealand
“Great park, dreadful service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

On arriving after 12 hours of travelling I was told my cabin had been given away as I was due to arrive the day before. I had confirmed my dates by email (they changed by one day after I booked my flights) but they hadn't been updated. The staff member was hostile and rude, telling me that she doesn't deal with email and although I could have the cabin from the next day she couldn't help me that night. She refused to accept responsibility for their mistake and was horrible to me. Eventually, after I was reduced to tears, she sorted a tent for me and the cabin for the rest of the time (and she did knock some money off the bill). She told me this kind of [--] up happens a lot (and the next day a family arrived at the cabin next to mine to find someone already in there). The park is lovely (although they need to explain clearer about how hard the walks are) but the owner is distracted and the staff miserable. I felt very uncomfortable being around them. Stay for a day but no more!

5 attraction reviews
“Not worth the money you pay for a day visit but camping would be fine a night or two ....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Paid a fair amount of money to see the rock wallabies which my children loved though as we went on across that bridge to follow dots we got lost there not enough directions signs telling you where to go and all.... Plus we stopped when we seen that the bolders where dangerous for the children with no warning signs, I also found the manager to be very arrogant in explaining what I wanted to know , camping for a night or two maybe fine but not worth paying for a day visit . National parks are cheaper in price and much more worth besides the thumps up for the rock wallabies.