“Awesome atmosphere and great service.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Maleny
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Deliciously different African, Mediterranean and Caribbean traditional family style cooking is served at the Key Restaurant Maleny, a short 20 minute drive from the Sunshine Coast. Some of the most popular dishes on the menu are Mozambique Chicken with Jollof Rice, the melt in your mouth Moroccan Lamb Tagine, the hot and spicy West Indies Goat Curry. All of the dishes are lovingly prepared by Ghanaian Chef and Owner, Simone Butler, with many involving very lengthy traditional preparation and slow cooking to perfection, often over 3 days. In addition to Simone's traditional ethnic dishes, there is also available fantastic 30 mm thick 350 gram plus grass fed, well marbelled steaks or fresh grilled barramundi. Key Restaurant Maleny is fully licensed with a cocktail bar, an interesting wine cellar with lots of variety to match the sometimes spicy and fragrant dishes. Excellent organic coffee, delicious cakes and deserts are a feature. Enjoy dining by the log fire or alfresco dining on the spacious veranda with panoramic views to the Coast, Mount Coolum, the hinterland and the Glasshouse Mountains. For mouth-watering meals, packed full of flavour and exotic spices, visit the Key Restaurant in Maleny. Open Wed – Sunday, lunch and dinner, Special Friday Night Buffet. Garden Weddings, Parties, Special Events and Receptions for up to 100 people are catered for. Check out the menus or book online.
“Awesome atmosphere and great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Food was pretty good. Especially the Moroccan lamb dish. I was very impressed with the service of the sommelier, he really seemed to know his stuff. Cannot wait to try out some of his recommendations.

Thanks for a great night guys! :)

• 4 of 5 stars Food
lukebutler1954, Owner at Key Restaurant Maleny, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi Nickingovi, lad you liked our food, especially the Moroccan Lamb Tagine served with couscous. Like many of our slow cooked dishes, this one takes our Chef Simone 2 days to prepare the sauce then on the 3rd day the Lamb cooks for 7 and a half hours in the sauce. It's all about the flavours and how they develop with slow cooking (and resting) over time. You are right to observe we have a good sommelier and with some 154 wines to choose from you can be assured we will have some things to entice you when next you return. Thank you for your review.

Caloundra, Australia
“Woderfull food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Hi
Being a passionate food lover and able to travel the world for the past 30 years through my work.I am always excited to look for some great eating places.Most restaurants you get a few excellent meals and some not so good.
This is not the case with the Key Restaurant.I must have had a dozen or so different meals and each one was a wonderfull delightfull experience.My wife sadly past away 3 months ago after 49 years of the most wonderfull marriage.I was totaly devastated and having no relatives in Australia I needed a shoulder to cry on.Paul.Clem and Rachel from the Key restaurant where absolutely wonderfull.Through there hectic schedule always had time to talk to help and try to ease the pain.I will be forever gratefull to Paul.Clem and Rachel for their kind and wonderful support.
Believe me this is not the average restaurant.The food is a constant food lovers delight and on top the wonderful service you experience from the dedicated staff
Gunter.T.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Gunter, thank you sincerely for your wonderful and most generous review. It is always a pleasure to see you in the restaurant and we genuinely enjoy listening to your stories when you visit and talking with you too. You have been to so many places and experienced so much in your life. We know that whenever you go and whatever you do, you will leave behind you people who are enriched by your visits and happy that you passed their way - as indeed we are too.
Brisbane
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I loved the whole experience,
I am not really fan of species as my husband is
Still I had great food,great treats,great service,absolute beautiful location,easy to get there,
the staff and the owner where super charming
we were well taken care,
We drank cocktails and the owner was super caring by offering my son a kids smoothie cocktail with fruits (no alcohol)
I will go back ,even if i am not spicy food fan(ps the goat is sublime) the cheese platter and cold cuts amazing.Go there early ,around 5.30pm 6pm
Super beautiful.
Thank you for treat me so good .

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi lovebugBrisbane I am glad you and your family enjoyed your time with us as much as we enjoyed looking after you. A lot of our customers are a bit nervous when they hear that "spices" are used in the cooking and like you mentioned you were not a big fan of spices, it is not too uncommon for us to hear from other customers they were also a bit nervous, at first. For our Chef Simone it's all about the taste and flavours. As you got to find out from your visit, it's certainly not all about making everything hot. And whilst Simone plays with her flavours from the kitchen I confess we enjoy playing with the flavours from our cocktail bar especially as we are blessed abundant supply of seasonal fresh fruit to make cocktails and even the kids smoothie cocktail we enjoyed making for your son. Thank you for your kind words about our Charcuterie Platter and Cheese Platter which we appreciate very much. We are passionately enthusiastic about of food, drinks and service and it gives us a real lift when we hear you and your family liked your experience with us.
Toowoomba
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

What a great lunch.Sat on the verandah and enjoyed both the food and the view.
The tastes achieved by the kitchen are truly mouth watering. A very friendly place for a casual and relaxed lunch experience .This was a birthday and they made it a little special, well done folks would definitely see it as a must go place in Maleny.The prices are good for this quality.
Great for that eat and enjoy experience, you are not rushed out of the place.
You won't be disappointed on any lovely Sunday lunch.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Many thanks GEEOZ for your great review. We really enjoy Sunday lunches, especially when the weather is nice, out on the verandah, with some live music happening and Simone working her magic from the kitchen. I am glad you enjoyed yourselves and look forward to your next visit.
“Very satisfied customers!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My partner and I came up to Maleny to celebrate my birthday. On our last night we decided to try the Key. We hadn't tried African food before so were not too sure what to expect. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with warm, genuine hospitality. It was a great start to a great evening!

We loved that the food was different to anything we had tried. We started with the chicken and beef kebabs, the satay on the chicken kebabs was smooth and delicious, the beef spicy and flavoursome. We were then made some refreshing cocktails by the lovely owner. Very yummy!!
We were excited to taste our mains as everything had been fantastic so far. We weren't disappointed!!!! My partner ordered the goat curry which had amazing flavours with a real spicy punch at the end, and I ordered the baby lobster which had been cooked in an aromatic spicy sauce. Our meals were cooked perfectly and were a generous serving so we were very full after an entree and main but we decided to squeeze in dessert as well. The desserts were absolutely to die for! The pannacotta with raspberry was fresh and light, and my partners sticky date was amazing!!!

We could not fault the food or the amazing service. Our waiter and the owner were both attentive, interesting, and most importantly genuine, and we enjoyed having the opportunity to chat with the owner throughout the night and really appreciated his attention to detail and his interesting stories and knowledge about aspects of African food and culture and drinks. A fantastic host!

We would highly recommend this restaurant to everyone and can't wait to come back and try more dishes. Thank you once again for an amazing experience!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
We are so pleased you enjoyed ourselves and look forward to serving you again. Thank you for your kind words which we very much appreciate.