“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Tapas, International
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Boardwalk Restaurant & Bar has a great variety for all occasions.From Lunch on the deck over looking the marina,too fine dining at dinner.Executive Chef Rodney Smith has combined fresh ingredients and local produce in his menus that will tantalize your taste buds. Now with tapas style dishes to have a variety of more dishes to amaze your taste buds.
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I recently dined at the Boardwalk restaurant and was quite excited at the prospect of good food after a few days slumming it. We (my partner and I) were only able to get a late sitting (8:30) which was fine apart from the dining room being packed up around us throughout the night.
Service was pretty average really. The staff were friendly however everything was slow. Oh and our entree was forgotten however the waitress was gracious in her apologies.
Onto the mains! I had a pasta and was thoroughly disappointed. Strewn in with my linguine bathed in oil were mushrooms, semi-dried tomatoes and chargrilled peppers. It took me a lot of poking about to discern the above vegetables as 'chargrilled' was a generous description. Charcoal is more accurate.
On a slightly higher note, my partner's steak was well received despite being cooked incorrectly (under beats over though!) and the accompanying scallops were... "warm slugs". They certainly didn't look appetising.
We opted against dessert.
I know I've been quite critical however with the prices charged at this restaurant I expect far and beyond our experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rodney S, Executive Chef at Boardwalk Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Hi Tessat2

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time here at the boardwalk restaurant.

I am not quite sure about your meal though, as our linguini does not come with char grilled vegetables!

The linguini dish on our menu has field mushrooms, semi dried tomatoes ( which contains oil)
and bocconcini with fresh basil. Not char grilled vegetable. This dish is done in a traditional Italian style and does not include cream or tomato just Extra virgin olive oil as stated on the menu.

magnetic island
“Totally Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I must admit, one of the best menu's I've ever read.

Totally awesome flavours in all the dishes we tried. Totally a 5 star restaurant and in my view the best in Townsville region by far.

Compliments to the Chef

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hi Chu08

Thanks for your review.

I am proud of our menu and the food we serve, and am very pleased that you think we are we are the best restaurant in the Townsville area.

Once again thanks.
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My Husband and I dined here and were absolutely delighted with our experience. The service was lovely, each staff member as polite and helpful as the next. We had our mains on the table within half an hour of being seated.
Our dinner was some of the best food we have had. Just devine.
We recommend Boardwalk Restaurant to anybody looking for a delicious meal with great service and location.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hi KT Gee

Thank you for your lovely review of the boardwalk restaurant.

I am so happy you enjoyed your experience with us and hope that you will join us again soon.
“Outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I have dined here 3 times for dinner. Every time, the service is excellent and the food outstanding. The atmosphere and location are excellent. We have also experienced the buffett breakfast which has been included in our overnight accomodation price at Peppers. The breakfast is great with a large variety to choose from icluding continental, hot buffett, pastries, fruit platters, yoghurt and even freshly baked bread. I would highly reccomend The Boardwalk restaurant and I have to say it is one of my favorite places to dine when on Magnetic Island.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rodney S, Executive Chef at Boardwalk Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Hi Brukel,

Thank you for your kind words.

We pride ourselves on being the best! I have a great team of professional chef and great wait staff that do a fantastic job, and I am so happy that you have reckoized there talents.

I hope you will join us again sometime soon.
Geelong, Australia
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I recently dined at Peppers as my one "night out" and a special treat to myself. The waitress was very friendly initially but as the night got busy I felt the service was quite poor. The food was quite good ..however I waited for a considerable time after my main meal to order dessert but no-one came to clear my plate, offer me another drink or the dessert menu. I feel it is sometimes difficult to go to such a supposedly first class restaurant on you own without being made to feel " neglected". As no-one came near me I had to ask for the bill at the register. I realise the restaurant was busy however I had booked a table in advance and was quite disappointed with the service. They knew they had a lot of bookings (this was mentioned to me when I booked) so perhaps could have added a few more staff. It was not the lovely end I had planned to my otherwise wonderful holiday.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi Deb,

I am so sorry to hear about your disapppointing experience with us.

Let me give you my deepest apology.

Your experience is not what we are about as you can see from all our other comments.

On a positive side thank you for your comments on the food and I just wish I could make it up to you if you come back to see us again.