“Felt like I was dining in the local RSL” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot art food wine

Barefoot art food wine
5 Pacific Drive | Horseshoe Bay, Magnetic Island, Queensland, Australia
+61 7 4758 1170
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Overlooking beautiful Horseshoe Bay, Barefoot restaurant offers visitors a relaxed, mouth-watering dining experience, and a wine list that will please even the most discerning palette. The Barefoot gallery is a stunning space showcasing many top artists and local talent. February & March Opening Hours: Wed-Sat Lunch 11:30AM - 3:00PM Dinner 5:30PM - 9:00PM & Sundays 9:00AM - 4:00PM All day Breakfast & Lunch
Perth, Australia
“Felt like I was dining in the local RSL”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We went to Magnetic Island specifically to visit Barefoot Food and Wine Restaurant, more specifically, to possibly purchase 1 or 2 pieces of art if anything caught our eye. I had visisted this restaurant approximatly 4 years ago, and had fond memories. We arrived for a Saturday lunch and decided to wander through the gallery first, before taking our seat. the gallery is excellent, prices range from less than $100 for a small piece to well and truly out of our price range for some of the more exotic pieces.

After wandering through the gallery we took our seat, here is where the problems started. I had wanted to sit on the balcony, where it was quiet and there were no other customers, but my girlfriend wanted to sit in the garden area, so the garden area it was :)

There was 3 wait staff, and what looked to be the manager working the bar. We waited appox 10 minutes for someone to come and greet us and take our drinks order. we waited another 10 minutes for the drinks to arrive, we then ordered our meals at that time also.

We ordered an entree to share and a main meal each (my girlfriends main meal was orderd as entree size). We specificly asked for our entree to come out before our main meals. For the next 45 minutes we waited for our entree, each time I wanted another drink I had to get the attention of one of the staff, I was never asked if I wanted another drink. The one thing they could have done while making us wait 45 minutes for 1 entree, was make sure our drinks were kept full.

We finally asked as to the whereabouts of our entree, and were told we didnt order an entree. After reminding the manager that we did, he came back from the kitchen to tell us the first entree (Pumpkin fritters) were burnt, so they were making another one (which apparently takes 45 minutes).

We finally received our entree and by this time were starving, we ate the two pumpkin fritters (about the size of a golf ball and costing $14, but tasted great) in about 20 seconds and were then waiting again for our main.

We reeived our main meal sometime after, and, they were very very tasty. I had the confit of duck ($37) and my girlfriend had an entree size chicken pasta ($17).

I guess I expected a higher class of dining, but I needed to remind myself this is an island, and things are much more laid back and slower, BUT, why then does this restaurant continue to charge higher than premium prices for below standard service.

Yes the food is good, but the service is, well, incompetent. There were kids running around, which when I am paying $105 for two people for lunch, I don't want children running around my table like I'm in the local leagues club or pub.

Then a family of 5 walked in and took the name "barefoot" to a whole new level. You guessed it, they weren't wearing shoes! Again, I understand this is an island, and the restaurants name is "barefoot" but if thats what your "market" is then don't charge fine dining prices!!!

then to top it all off, the three young children at the table next to ours were handed a large box of toys by the restaurant manager. This then encouraged the children to further run and play in the restaurant.

By this time we had had enough, we paid $105 for 4 drinks, 2 entree's and 1 main meal and left. If you do decide to dine at the restaurant, make sure you get a balcony seat, by the time we left it had a few customers seated there, and all seemed to be having a good time.

The food was good, the restaurant wasnt. There were torn cushions and worn wooden seats and tables, which could all have used and update.

If I wanted to dine in this sort of environment I would have gone to the local RSL and paid $20 for two roast dinners with my grandparents.

christchurch
“let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

we were a group of four staying on Magnetic for a week, one of our group was celebrating a birthday and it was Barefoot on the Beach that had been reccomended to us, we made a booking on the Friday for Saturday evening, the person taking our booking said they would do sparklers happy birthday etc at the end of the meal for the birthday person (they weren't with us when we made the booking) we returned on Saturday night, were seated and given menus, asked if we woud like cocktails to start we ordered two Kir Royales and two glasses of wine, bar man came back they can't do Kir Royale did we want something else........yes two Champagne Cocktails,............barman comes back no can't do those either so it was 2 glasses of Champagne,
Waitress came back to take our orders we asked what the speicals were.......................... um don't know ..............................do you think you could find out
starters were 2x Thai fish cakes, 1 crab, prawn and witloaf salad with cumin dressing and 1 doz oysters natural, Fish cakes were very very average done better at home, salad was nice cumin dressing worked well but too much witloaf. Oysters were oysters
Mains were 2 kangoaroo fillets with a wild fig reduction, baramundi in paper bark with lemon myrtle, and 1 doz prawns with vegtables, Kangroo fillet was tender but both dishes were cool to cold fish was great, prawns came as a cold dish with hot vegtables!!!!!!
we continually had to look for staff, we were watied on by at least 4 different staff members none of whom had any idea of what was going on, they continually forgot that we were seated at the front, there did not appear to be anyone in charge, every so often the chef would leave the kitchen take off his apron and walk over to the beach for a smoke, and towards the end of the night a beer and a smoke,
It came to the end of the meal and we ordered a round of Irish Coffees and had to explain to the waitress how to make them!!!!!!!! the birthday sparklers etc were not forthcoming very disappointing
Overall the food was very average and the service poor and disorganised the staff themselves were all very nice but most of them I suspect had been hired just because they were available to work not on whether they had any skill

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“We've been to magnetic island 3 times...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We've been to magnetic island 3 times since 2006 and we love it ... A couple of years ago we thought the food was really good at Barefoot, especially for Queensland. (we're from Melbourne). Unfortunately our visit last week was disappointing ... The starters were fine, but a coconut chicken and rice main dish was soooo salty we could barely eat it. The fish and chips were good so that just saved the meal. We were told that there was a new chef in training so this my have been the problem. But Barefoot is quite pricey so this is not really acceptable. I would try Barefoot again next time we come to the island hoping for better food since it is in a very nice spot overlooking horseshoe bay, but only because there is not much choice for quality dining on the island.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
canberra
“really enjoyed the 3 course set menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

Our family of 5 each ordered the 3 course set menu, apart from my 8 year old daughter who ordered from the kids menu. The salt and pepper squid was a stand out,I really enjoyed it. I can recommend the warm thai beef salad and the spanish mackerel both of these mains were very good. Desert was a bit of a let down, but on the whole we all extremely enjoyed our meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, Maryland
“So good we went twice in one day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Hands down the best food on the island--sat on the back patio for lunch, then upstairs for dinner. A real gem in a sometimes dismal dining destination.