“Absolute Peace and Quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amaroo On Mandalay

You added Amaroo On Mandalay to your Saves list
Amaroo On Mandalay
3.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   61-79 Mandalay Avenue | Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island, Queensland 4819, Australia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Absolute Peace and Quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There was nothing about this place that I didn't like. Away from the hustle and bustle of city life for a 4 day Easter break. Only a short 750m walk to local shops and restaurants. A bus stop right out the front and for a cheap bus fare of $1.40 we could ride into the local pub at Arcadia. Owners most helpful in recommending cheap car hire and where to go snorkelling. Local IGA prices in line with Melbourne food. Not over priced at all. Magnetic Island is a gem. Only 10km from one end to the other. I will certainly be back.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Amaroo is amazing, it is such a picturesque and beautiful place to stay. We loved the surroundings, waking up to breathtaking views of the mountain range in the morning and adorable rock wallabies grazing on the grass in the garden. The staff are so wonderful and went all out to ensure our stay was wonderful. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for accommodation on Magnetic Island. It was like a stay in paradise.

Room Tip: Quiet, clean, well equipped.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Only wish we'd had more time on the island! The hosts were excellent! Went out of their way to help! Even took me to local supermarket to get provisions followed by a personal trip to see the rock wallabies and feed fish of the rocks in Geoffrey bay. Even let us check out the next day when convenient for us! Beautiful setting with immaculate gardens. Feeding of cockatoos, kookaburras and even bird of prey each evening! Lovely clean room and the big swimming pool was very welcome! Would certainly love to go back!

Room Tip: WiFi not available in room but in reception area, which was comfortable and inviting.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Greater Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2015

I recently stayed at Amaroo and I will be going back! The resort is in beautiful tropical gardens and is very peaceful. I loved the wildlife there too. My room was great with everything I needed, and the price was very affordable.

I can’t speak highly enough of the Managers Brian and Tezeh! What a team those guys are! They were always very friendly and attentive to make sure that I had everything I needed, even dropping me off at Horseshoe Bay after I just missed the bus! Just call them and you'll see what I mean!

Room Tip: Be prepared to not want to leave!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

Well where to start with this place. I have traveled across most of the world, stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and stayed at some of the worlds worst backpackers and this place is now at the top of my list for being the worst in the world.
1, The property manager at reception never smiles an is very rude (power tripping)
2, One guy sits behind the best playing games with headphones on without ever saying a thing to you.
3, Various properties look a disgrace with damaged furniture left rotting on the porch.
4, Driveways full of holes
5, No cars allowed on the driveway to unpack your belongings so you have to walk along 25 units on a small path even when you have furniture.
6, apartments playing very loud music to late in the night
7, People sitting on porches that you would really not want your kids seeing.
8, you get a copy of the company by-laws 3 weeks after moving in which pretty much says that the only thing you can do is sleep, cook, clean and walk in and out.
9, when you complain all the do is laugh and say that your a funny man.
I have now had to resort to finding a new apartment to live elsewere on the island as we are just a able to live in such a disgraceful place. The island is paradise and everyone with the exception of this place is amazingly friendly. We were fortunate to have a very nice unit here due to the fact that our landlord owned the apartment. But unfortunately everything else was to much to deal with.

My recommendation is to stay well away from booking here. It is cheap but the reasons above reflect that price.

Mabe a new manager for the place that cares is what this place needs.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Brian M, General Manager at Amaroo On Mandalay, responded to this review, March 26, 2015
This review from Adz T (tenant), is a result of him being asked to abide by the Body Corp by-laws for the complex.Unfortunately he bends the truth.
Let's deal with the accusations one at a time.
1. Hmmmm. Please read other reviews.
2. This person is not working in reception and is on his own time.
3. These 2 properties are undergoing renovations with new kitchens being installed.
4. Unfortunately Nth Queensland's weather does create problems with gravel driveways on a hill.
5. Unpacking a car nearer to the units is a perfectly fine thing to do, leaving them parked in the driveway for hours and overnight is not and can cause a hazard.
6. If Adz found this a problem, a visit to reception to complain would have seen a result.
7. There are all types of people in this world and yet they are unique in their own way. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
8. This tenant should have been supplied with a copy of the by-laws by his landlord on entering the property. This tenant was not placed by us, if he had, this problem would not have arisen.
9. This tenants reaction to a simple request is indeed in some way quite funny, yet damaging.
Adz was asked to remove some 'fairy lights' from some bushes that are regularly trimmed and had also been asked on 3 occasions not to park on the properties access road for extended periods. He was given the by-laws to show this was a reasonable request.
He took exception to this and spat his dummy, resulting in this review.
His bathroom photo is of an area not meant for public access. The plastic bag could have blown in at anytime from anywhere. 'New Idea' eat your heart out, this photographer could be yours.
We take great pride in this resort and having taken over just 2 years ago, have transformed a rather sad piece of real estate into a great asset, just ask a nearby local. With still more work to be done.
Please read all our other genuine reviews, come stay and make up your own mind.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015 via mobile

So this is the second review I have ever done (the first was 3 mins ago about a terrible hostel I am currently sitting in!). Anyway...Amaroo is a dream. It is so beautiful! I stayed with my boyfriend and two friends in the off peak season and it was perfect. We all raves about how lovely everything was. The swimming pool, the bird feeding, the gorgeous set up and the factor that really made it amazing...the owners! This place is family run and really has a personal touch. They all went above and beyond to help is and make our stay as good as it could be. I have never been so happy as a customer than I was here. And to top it off, the bed was probably the comfiest I have ever slept in. We loved it so much that we extended our stay for an extra night of luxury :) I would certainly recommend this place for anyone. It is ideally situated near most of the good walking tracks and is on a 3 min bus ride from the ferry port. Thank you so much for having us!

• Stayed February 2015
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2015

Stayed four nights at Amaroo on Mandalay in a twin share room. It was excellent value; not luxury, but practical and clean with wonderfully relaxing surrounds. The highlights are the gardens and birdlife. The hosts/managers are also very friendly and helpful.

The rooms themselves are a comfortable size and had the amenities we needed. While the hotel still has that 70s kind of look, everything was functional. The airconditioner worked adequately. The kitchenette included a small fridge, a jug, microwave, basic crockery and cutlery. Also detergent for the washing up. Only thing missing from my perspective was spare rubbish bags for the bins.

The beds were comfortable enough and everything worked as it should in the bathroom.
In terms of a wish list: It would have been nice for the front glass doors to have a sliding screen to keep out the insects but allow the breeze through and to bring the gorgeous gardens "in". As a result we tended to have the glass door closed and aircon on for much of the time we wanted to rest, which isolated us a bit from our beautiful surrounds.

The pool is large with a huge deck where you can relax and a great outlook to the mountains. There is a small kids pool too. The kookaburras and the cockatoos get fed in the afternoons. The curlews just hang out all day to amuse you. And the tropical aquarium has some lovely fish including "Nemo" and "Dora". While I didn't try out the BBQs or tennis courts, they looked great and were lit for night tennis in the cool.

I would be happy to base myself here again. I had my car with me so was pleased it was set back from the main thoroughfare around the island. But even without a car, it isn't far to Nelly Bay which has restaurants, an IGA supermarket, cafes etc. And the bus seemed to come by quite regularly.

We had our own 4G Pocket wi-fi with us (with Telstra), which worked in our room, so can't really comment on the hotel's wi-fi plans or access.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Amaroo On Mandalay? Share your experiences!