“Fab backpackers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Base Backpackers

You added Base Backpackers to your Saves list
Base Backpackers
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1 Nelly Bay Road, Magnetic Island, Queensland 4819, Australia   |
Battambang, Cambodia
“Fab backpackers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Great beachside location and chalet style dorms. Awesome to be able to snorkel right off the beach, snorkels and bikes can be rented from the backpackers. It is a bit out of the way if you are relying on public transport - you can walk to the amenities in either picnic bay or Nelly Bay, but it's more than a gentle evening stroll.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Trim, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here with 6 other friends for two nights in October 2013, and I couldn't help but have mixed feelings about the place from the very beginning. There were some pros - Location is amazing, Right on the beach, which was beautiful with magnificent views. It wasn't too far a walk from the main town with IGA and the ferry also. The accomodation was basic but comfortable, it did the job.

However there were a few cons, mainly the staff - I couldn't get over how rude and aggressive the were! On arrival at the hostel my friend realized he left his wallet on the bus, but for some bizarre reason the Receptionist refused to give him the number for the bus company, really giving the impression she didn't care one bit about it. Thankfully the bus drivers on Magnetic Island we're a bit more helpful! Once that was sorted the four boys in the group were pulled aside and were told about the no alcohol rule (which was a bit of a killer as well) and how they presumed we had alcohol on us as we 'looked like that type of group' and would be keeping a close eye on us the whole time, which I thought was a bit over the top, seeing as the 4 of us were well capable of reading the hundreds of signs saying the same thing, and the fact that they completely ignored us when we told them the first time that we didn't have any on us. Funnily enough they didn't say anything to the 3 girls in our group who were actually the ones who had alcohol with them!! The next day reception wouldn't even give me a plaster for a cut on my foot I got when I was walking on a rock. They definitely weren't the friendliest people I've met.

Another thing I wasn't too impressed with was the food. Complimentary breakfast was a half bowl of Muesli with the tiniest drop of milk, and as for dinner, it was nice but I would have been more full from a bar of chocolate!! I was expecting small portions but these portions we're ridiculous.

It is a nice hostel in terms of accommodation and location, but in my opinion is overpriced and the staff ruined it for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here a couple years ago and loved it this time. I stayed in a 4 bed coed and was great for the price.It had a small deck and was pretty quiet all things considered. It had a bar for the full moon party, but the music can get a bit much at times but I love this place.

Room Tip: Do the paid course
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I did not plan to travel to Magnetic Island but won the trip from Ultimate Party in Cairns, I arrived early in the morning and was unable to check into my room early as the check in was not until 1300, I was greeted by a friendly staff member who arranged to get me into my room early as I was suffering from a ear ache. The hostel facilities were explained in great detail and the surrounding grounds were stunning, beachfront, gardens, and coconut trees, a real tropical
Island. After a few hours my ear ache got worse, I returned to reception where the staff member was still working, she offered to take me to the doctor so I could get the ear looked at, she drove me there and back for a 15 minute car ride, she explained about the Island the whole way, I have never really left a review on trip advisor, but really wanted to because they went out of there way to help me when I was sick, I was really surprised when I went to check out to find out the staff member was the manager, I loved staying a this hostel even though I was sick I was looked after really well which is so nice when you are far away from home, I recommend you stay on Magnetic Island, its a nice place.

Room Tip: A great choice as a tropical Island stay on Magnetic Island
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

When we arrived at the hostel, the first thing we noticed was how rude and grumpy the receptionist was.. As we walked to are room after paying a huge deposit for our key we were positively surprised at how beautiful the location was and how quirky the hostel dorm huts were. For backpacker accomadation however i believe base was very expensive, wifi and internet were expensive and the connection was bad and very slow. The meals and drinks were also overpriced for what you get. The biggest dissapointment about this hostel was the fact that we missed out on our free complimentry snorkel hire. Although we paid for a package that included a free meal, breakfast and snorkel hire the hostel quickly ran out of snorkel equipment, and for those who wernt quick enough lost out. I believe personally that a hostel that offers packages such as these who have on file how many people are due snorkel hire should have enough snorkel equipment to suit everyone who has paid for it. BIG DISSAPOINTMENT. other then that we met some great people and base did have a good social atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristiansand, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This place has the feel of a resort with the prices of a hostel. We brought a tent so paid 10AUD pp which was cheap for what we got. We were the only ones camping. There were some "permanent" tents there but they looked very uncosy and uncomfortable compared to our little tent. There was a power-socket outside the tent.
The camping area is close to the bathrooms but far enough from the reception area not to be bothered about the loud music too much. There was a party the night we were there, and we were woken up by some drunk people living next door singing birthday songs, however this has really nothing to do with the hostel. I would not want to stay in the dorms here as they are too close to the party-area.
The bathroom facilities were very good and clean.
The kitchen was mediocre, but ok for cooking and was kept clean. There was no kitchen towels to dry dishes with, despite all the notes asking people to clean and dry what they use.
The outside area was great, we loved to chill by the pool looking out to the sea (you do not want to swim in the sea due to the stingers, so the pool was a big plus!)
The staff were generally friendly and helpful.
The only negatives I can say is that the kitchen was supposed to open at 6am but did not open until 6.30am (we got up early to watch the sunrise and see the koalas), and you are not allowed to bring alcohol into the area. (we smuggled some beers into the fridge in the kitchen... ooops, felt like criminals... but did not want to buy too many expensive drinks in the bar)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here in June, got a private room with a balcony that hangs over the ocean. Woke up to views of the ocean and hearing the waves crash against the rocks below. Great entertainment put on by the staff there. Very friendly staff. Maggie Island is beautiful and Base has a great location there with the bus stop right outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Base Backpackers? Share your experiences!