“Beautiful location, shocking coffee, service is even worse” 1 of 5 stars

Sydney, Australia
2,827 reviews 2,827 reviews
1,615 restaurant reviews
1,340 helpful votes 1,340 helpful votes
“Beautiful location, shocking coffee, service is even worse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Believe it is now called Thornton Bay Cafe but the service doesn't seem any better than your other reviews.
We needed a quick lunch and this spot seemed quite magical.
The site looked like a tropical island so what could be a better spot for a break - unfortunately I didn't check Trip Advisor before we stopped.
With Lynn's allergies, there was nothing on the menu that she could eat and they had no interest in helping.
I ordered a fish and chips which turned out to be a larger version of fish fingers that our grandmothers used to make years ago - absolutely ghastly.
But the coffee was even worse - I had ordered the food and coffees and then went for a walk to the beach which is absolutely wonderful.
When I returned (only 5 minutes later) the waitress screeched "your coffees are ready".
I went to pick them up to take them to the table and she screeched again "you have to pay for them"
I looked at her blankly and she screeched again "you have to pay"
Later on I realised that the coffee was so bad that people had obviously left without paying but at that time I didn't understand why she was so stressed.
She had obviously been in the company of the local cockatoos for too long.
I struggled with the fish 'n chips but there was no way we could drink the coffees.
However, the support of the floor boards was so bad that each time the waitress or chef walked past, the boards shook and the coffee flowed everywhere.
There was more coffee on the table than in the cup and yet we had still only had one mouthful.
The waitress didn't seem to notice or care.
One can handle a bad lunch or cup of coffee but the bigger problem is that overseas visitors will see this as a reflection on our tourism quality.
The Daintree Region which is quite wonderful deserves something better.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Great Beef and Shiraz Pie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

What better location for a cafe! Thorton Beach is like paradise and after a wonder along the coast spotting crabs, spiders and stingers the Cafe on the Sea was a perfect spot for coffee. My husband had the beef and shiraz pie (yes, at coffee time!) which he claimed was the best pie he had ever eaten!! We also booked our tour of the reef here too.

Visited April 2012
“Skip past”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stopped for lunch. Shouldnt have. Awesome location but food deep fried and almost inedible. Doesnt do tourism any favours up here. Better options further north.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Amazing location, average food, expensive on the wallet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Not having read the reviews on this place before going, I was amused to see that they are spot on. The male chef (owner?) was decidedly off-hand and unhelpful. On the other-hand, the female proprieter and her dog were much more friendly. We had a lovely brunch, though very expensive, and the location, set back a few steps from the deserted beach through a few shady trees, takes your breath away. All in all, a pleasant experience, but you do pay quite highly for the privilege. You choose...

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Delhi, India
“Christmas Day Lunch: Open, Good, and Very Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Looking for a place to eat lunch Christmas Day while waiting for the ferry South we were happy to see that Cafe on Sea was open. Just us and the owner and despite other reviews we found him friendly and courteous. He can also cook! My steak sandwich and my wife's Calamari were both very good and prepared quickly as soon as we ordered. The interior ambiance may leave something to be desired, but the location is beautiful and we enjoyed the dog joining us at our table. If we are back in the Daintree again we will certainly stop by. I can't explain why our experience was different from so many others' here, but perhaps it was just Christmas. :-)

• Visited December 2011