“Simple, fun, simple” 5 of 5 stars

+61 7 4098 0016
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Mason's Cafe offers fresh food,featuring local produce where possible. Open for lunch and dinner (may be closed in the low season)we sell burgers, steak sandwiches, fish and chips and a range of reasonably priced meals and drinks. Cakes and desserts are made onsite.We specialize in Crocodile, Emu and Kangaroo Burgers, and also offer offer a tasting plate that includes all three.We serve Tichum Creek Coffee and Daintree Tea, both sourced locally.Mason's Cafe is not 'full service' we ask that you order at the counter and you are called when meals are ready.
San Francisco, California
“Simple, fun, simple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

As others have mentioned, this place is nothing really to look at on the inside but the outdoor area to eat was well enough, has a somewhat "camping" type diner vibe. In any case, we were SO glad we stopped here for a meal. We tried a slider burger sampler which was just super fun!! Emu, Croc, Roo, Camel, Wild Boar and Buffalo and choko on the side. Everything was cooked well and they label the plate for you so you can keep track of what you're tasting. The camel was probably the driest, least interesting but we ate everything and had a great time doing so! It's no 5 star restaurant, it was a 5 star enjoyable experience.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
truelocal5, Manager at Mason's Cafe, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you so much for honest review. I am really pleased you enjoyed the Tasting Plate, it is a lot of work to get all the components here and delivered to customers that way, but I still enjoy watching people try everything! For some reason camel is my favourite, but of course the whole point of a tasting plate is to find out what you do and don't like.
Like you say we need to finish the deck eating area off ( I am currently growing the plants for the deck, and the paint is here and ready to go), and while we would really love flash new cafe tables and chairs in the current economic climate I fear that may have to wait a while.
Like you say, we are definately not a five star restaurant, but we do try to offer a good value large meals with local product where possible.
It is so awesome to see honest reviewers on Tripadvisor.

Sydney, Australia
“Great burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We dropped in here for lunch and had a couple of burgers. They are huge! We totally missed all the signs out the front which advertise game burgers ie kangaroo, emu, croc etc. Masons creek is out the back and is a lovely spot with a swimming hole.

truelocal5, Manager at Mason's Cafe, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thanks for your review. I am really pleased you enjoyed the burgers and the swimming hole!
Esperance
“mmmm, a bit tired.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Masons had a nice big verandah, with table cloths on the tables - but all were dirty - and we had to take our cloth off, and turn it over. EEEEwwww!The shop was also a bit sad, with not much stock....it was all abit tired really. Perhaps time for a facelift?

Visited October 2013
truelocal5, Manager at Mason's Cafe, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
I am very sorry that your table had a dirty cloth....clearly that is not ideal. But ALL the cloths dirty....really? And would you not just ask for a new one? As I have stated before I eat out weekly, and having to ask for a table to wiped etc is not that unusual.
Thanks for making hurtful remarks re the level of stock, perhaps you did not notice that it is a small town, with two shops, and that maybe the reason is that carrying excess stock anytime, especially in the leadup to the wet is inviting it to spoil. Maybe instead of casting lofty aspersions on the level of stock you could have bought something from the shop and helped to contribute to it's viability in difficult economic times.
Assuming you visited on the 13th I am aware that the lawns were long and this made the place look less attractive than it usually does, however this I have remedied today, having recovered from an illness. There are a few minor maintenance issues however no worse than any of the other businesses you visited; I live here remember.
There was no mention of the food so it is unclear if you ate here or not. I fail to see how this review is in the least way helpful, and it seems you did not learn much of the area at all while here which is a pity
Melbourne, Australia
“Great burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stumbled across Mason's Cafe on our day trip to Cape Trib. What a great little place!

For such a small cafe, the menu is extensive, good variety & the exotic foods are fantastic. You can try Camel, Kangaroo, Croc or Buffalo burgers just to name a few.

The burgers are large & enjoyable. If you visit Cape Trib, this is your place to eat!

Well done.

Thanks for your kind words. We really are trying hard to provide not only quality food, but something memorable and different. I am really pleased you enjoyed it.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best Burgers Around. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stopped in to Masons Cafe for lunch not knowing exactly what I was in for. The menu was fantastic. Extensive and value for money. I had a Burger with the lot and was blown away by the size of it. Massive burger and it was juicy and tasty as. As well as beef burgers, you can have Buffalo, emu, croc, chicken and a few other types. Great food really nice staff and good prices. If your in cape trib you have to try this place

truelocal5, Manager at Mason's Cafe, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thanks for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed the burger; for some time I have been hand making all of them, and I am pleased to see this pay off. Once again, I am also pleased to see someone who enjoyed the cafe take the time to review. When this happens it makes Tripadvisor seem all that much more relevant. The last month or so is the only time I have seen our reviews seem consistent with feedback recieved directly.