“Truly the outdoors” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bush Bunks

You added Bush Bunks to your Saves list
Bush Bunks
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   The BogieRiver Bush House | 284 Normanby Road, Bowen, Queensland, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Bowen
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Truly the outdoors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I was back packing and found a job in Bowen, after a few weeks of farm work the farmer let us all go and I could not afford to stay in the hostel any longer so Erne let me come to there place and stay for 2 weeks working 5 hours every day in exchange for food and a roof over my head, visually the place is beautiful, I have not experienced anything like it and I am so glad I got the chance to take in all the wild life, working with Erne taught me so much, any question about wild life, vegetation, the kind of work we were doing he could answer and not B.S me. I am so glad I got to meet Erne and he taught me more then i ever thought he would. If you like the put doors you will LOVE it here!

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Bernie and Glenda are a really nice people . We stayed a week in this wonderful bed and breakfast in middle of the bush . If you need a rest this is the most quiet place that you can find and appreciate the good compagny of the owner ... they are good cook so enjoy the restaurant .
We highly recommend you to stay there and we will come back again .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Coominya, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I work away 3 weeks at a time (fly in fly out) and have stayed at nearly every motel and hotel in Qld, and this is the first place I can say 'can't wait to get home'!! after a long day at work. The Bogie River Bush House to me is just total peace and tranquillity. I love the Kangaroo’s and Wallabies and the bird life is amazing, and I soooooo love the frogs!!

Glenda & Ernie are just wonderful, their service is amazing and they make you feel like part of the family. Nothing is too much trouble for them, they are there when you wake in the early hours of the morning to cook you breakfast, and the evening when I get back, my clothes are washed and a lovely beverage g is placed in my hand.

If you are looking for a slice of paradise in the bush this is the place to stay……………well done Glenda & Ernie!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

My family and I had an overnight stay, where we were treated to great food, good conversation, beautiful tranquil surroundings and friendly kangaroos only to happy to pose for photos. Ernie and Glenda have done a great job since their return, I would highly recommend a day trip out for lunch or a break away in the clean unique cottage style accomodation .

Stayed April 2012
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

The Bogie River Bush House has a beautiful atmosphere where you are surrounded by the tranquility of nature including wildlife that come for a bit of tucker each day. Glenda and Ernie are back at the helm of their little slice of paradise that they have painstakingly and lovingly created over the last 27 years. I felt as though I woke up in paradise each morning at the Bogie River Bush House. Every little detail is perfect and you are wanting nothing! Thank you to Glenda and Ernie for the most special time in your beautiful haven. You are truly special people.

Room Tip: You can choose whichever room you want from those that are available. They are all gorgeous.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I recently stayed at the Bogie River Bush House while working at a local mango farm. When I first contacted the hostel owners (Galinda & Erne) they were very pleasant over the phone stating they would pick me up and drop me back off in Bowen (over 70 km from the hostel) and that accommodation and transportation were taken care of. Upon arriving in Bowen, Galinda picked me up and once in the car informed me that I would be paying $140/week for rent and $5/day to get to work. Fair enough, even though I would have liked to be told up front instead of once I already made the trip to Bowen.

The "hostel" itself is in the middle of nowhere. There is no cell phone service, no cable, and very little internet (will explain later). It fits 12 people with ONE toilet and ONE shower (NO hot water at all). Twelve people getting ready for work in the morning with one toilet/shower was terrible. The owners then made us drive an unlicensed/unregistered car to work and informed us if we get pulled over we have to pay the $500 fine + suffer the loss of a drivers license. When we got to work the farm owners called Erne and told him that we weren't allowed to drive the car because its not safe, but he continued to make us drive it to work.

Throughout the week we would come home after 9.5 hours working to little notes on the table. If we were to even leave a FORK in the clean dish drying rack Galinda would turn the internet off for the night. She referred to us as "naughty children" for leaving a light on or leaving a few bread crumbs on the table. Mind you - we are paying $20 pp a night to stay at the hostel. I don't need to be berated for these things.

Also, they went into our rooms daily, went through our belongings and even moved things around. Not respectful of your privacy AT ALL. They treat residents as children who need to be taught lessons and seem to forget we are paying customers with rights.

On the last day when we were packing up to leave - they decided instead of the $5 per day for transportation to work they were now going to charge us $10 a day per person. 70 km in the bush with NO OTHER way to get to town they told us they refuse to drive us anywhere until we pay. That is extortion.

These are the most terrible people I have ever met who run an unethical and poor business. Do not stay here - avoid this place at all costs. Do yourself a favor and stay in Bowen at one of the many hostels in civilization. I was cheated out of money and forced to pay or figure out how I was supposed to get 70 km to town.

These people are crooks who will make it seem like a good deal - until they get you in the middle of the bush with no other options. Also, the house is infested with insects, spiders, frogs, and rats.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Two friends and I went there after calling James who that he job for us 3. We ended up waiting 3 weeks with no job, we still had to pay the extra for the fuel cause he couldn't afford not to charge us!
Every day he would come and say that we MIGHT start the day after but nothing... I finnaly got a morning in a farm but never seen my money he took it to top the money I was "owing".
My friends had a car accident with one of the van, it took fire they only had time to escape form it.. A couple of days later the police came over and asked about the van wich was recorded stolen from a Spanish backpacker a year before..
Not talking about the only 2 (cold) showers we had to share between over 18 people!
The nights were freezing windows don't close properly...
James and his wife would come while we were away and check personal belongings.
Just before I left they were asking for the passeport and flight keeping them as a bond.
We were not allowed to leave the place, James used to check how many km we did and how much fuel we used.

Seriously I stayed 2 months there and on the day that i left they said that they couldn t drive me to Bowen so I waited hours to get a lift back to Bowen.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Bush Bunks? Share your experiences!