“Took my breath away ..literally” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 15 things to do in Rye
More attraction details
Owner description: Come horse riding with us along a spectacular ocean beach on the Mornington Peninsula just 1.25 hours south of Melbourne.No experience necessary, 60+ horses and open every day.People from all over the world come to experience our St Andrews Beach Ride. Operating for over 20 years. Also bush rides to nearby Green's National Park, lessons, pony rides and group packages. Spectacular ocean beach scenery is a perfect backdrop to this popular ride which is truly breath-taking.
“Took my breath away ..literally”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

To be fair for a trail riding place it's defiantly one of the cleaner ones and the horses do look like they are cared for,however, it was the staff that ruined the whole experience for me.

A tall blonde woman who appeared to be in charge spoke to us as though we had inconvenienced her by being there and as though she couldn't wait to see us out the gate.

We let it slide as it we thought the ride would get better. It didn't.

The young girl ?Alice who took us out was teaching the group how to trot (to be fair I think that's good because I understand it would hurt the horses bouncing around on them all day long) What I found bad however was the condescending tone she used and how she would continue to drill it into everyone when I felt they had picked it up to the best of their ability AND are there for a nice pleasure ride NOT to be barked at for two hours ..not to mention being told the beach part would be cut short due to how slow we all were.

Visited November 2012

“Bad tempered horse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

It's our first time riding a horse. As nthey told us it's ok for beginners. When I see the horse (name Charlotte) it's too big for me who weight not over 50kg. It's even bigger than the guides' horses. Just around 5-10 the guide already told us to trot. It's very hard for a beginner like me. And then no longer after my horse went faster then i fell to the ground. I dont know why they gave a bad tempered horse like that to a beginner. Lucky there's no injury occurred. So dangerous if it happened to children. And the other horses that my sisters rode were so lazy they didnt want to move and always ate the grasses along the walk. No sorry from any of the guide and staff. Maybe thats how bogan do.

Visited May 2013
South Melbourne, Australia
“Not a great experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

For anyone with any experience I would not recommend the twilight beach ride. Even though they asked our level of experience it made absolutely no difference. The ride was basically following nose to tail for 95% of the trail ride along the toad and we were not allowed to vary from the line at all. This walking was interspersed with 20 seconds of trotting here and there, not even a long enough trot to het into any rythm. We only spent 5 minutes on the beach and when I asked if we were allowed to canter at all the answer was a definite no.
We went on the twilight ride on a wet day and it was very clear that the leader just wanted to get back and go out.
The beach was gorgeous but drive there and save the money!

Visited March 2013
Brunswick East, Australia
“well worth booking private ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and i had an amazing 2 hour private ride with our beautiful horses and a fantastic guide who led us confidently along the trail to St Andrews Beach. The pace was perfect (walking with good stints of trotting and cantering) and riding along the beach simply stunning. Having our own private ride was fabulous and we are keen to do it regularly.

Visited February 2013
Lavington, Australia
“Can't Really review the ride”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I called to book in a trail ride for me and my boyfriend, Now I'm the first person to admit I'm a fatty at about 85kgs, but I was shocked to hear the rude girl tell me that apparently their horses can't carry 'Heavy Weights", I got a loud crackling cough down the phone line, we were directed to 'find somewhere that doesn't care for their horses as much' and that was that, I didn't even get the chance to explain that yes I can ride, I guess the skinny people are the priority but I wont be racing to the gym to go riding with them!

Visited February 2012