“Was awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 13 Attractions in Rye
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Come horse riding with us along a spectacular ocean beach on the Mornington Peninsula just 1.25 hours south of Melbourne.No experience necessary, 60+ horses and open every day.People from all over the world come to experience our St Andrews Beach Ride. Operating for over 20 years. Also bush rides to nearby Green's National Park, lessons, pony rides and group packages. Spectacular ocean beach scenery is a perfect backdrop to this popular ride which is truly breath-taking.
Mulgrave, Australia
“Was awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The service was amazing. kids wanted a ride (we had no booking) they provided just that on a pony. When i say pony, that was nearly a horse. parents could lead so, it was fun to guide the pony for us and kids loved the ride of 15 minutes (thats a long time on a pony)

Visited January 2013

Melbourne, Australia
52 attraction reviews
“Nice day spoiled by a negative experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Our family went on a trail ride on Australia Day. It was busy there. It was their “signature ride” the St. Andrew’s Beach Ride which is advertised on the web site as “no riding experience is necessary and takes 2 hours.” My wife and sons had only ridden 5 times in their life. Two of those times were recently in Oberon NSW on a farm stay with a very caring host and gentle horses. My wife was very anxious about trotting but was reassured she’d be fine. There was no choice of horses. Although I’ve ridden regularly, I got a Clydesdale (gentle horse) presumably because I weigh more than she, but my wife got an ordinary horse and put at the end of the line. About 5=10 minutes into the ride, after another horse had bucked and one of the guides was giving a short talk on “how to trot” my wife panicked and wanted to go back. One of the guides said she’d try to get her on an hour ride and walked her back to farm. We continued on our ride and the 15 minutes or so on the beach was fun and I even had a very short canter. We got back at 1¾ hours (thought it would be a 2 hour ride) and most of it was walking and trotting next to the road (not really bush!). For the price it was poor or at least very average value given that I take the boys (and sometimes my wife) to a place in Monbulk (no beach) for $50 for a full 2 hours. The Oberon rides cost $65 for 2 hours and top equipment. No offer was made to my wife for any alternative ride or any refund. Had they been good about it and offered her a voucher for a walk-only ride (they apparently have them), they would have gotten the other 3 or 4 of our family again. As it is they have now lost our business for life and we cannot recommend them unless people really want the experience of a very brief trot or canter along a scenic beach and some photos. Equipment was mostly fine – stock saddles which were comfortable and easy to ride; reins were plastic; horses not very responsive but fairly typical of trail ride horses.

Visited January 2013
“Giddy up and once on was great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

The only horse experience I have had being a merry go round, the girls at gunnamatta made it enjoyable and so easy to learn

Once arriving being fitted with 'stylish' hair nets I could have done with out, my boyfriend and I walked outside to where we were greeted with our horse and our new name and it was great fun when my boyfriend on boss was told that if he can't control him, he can't control women

The ladles in the yard were slightly rough and especially with the way *i think* the assistant manager spoke to her staff, especially those being quiet young left me a bit shocked.

We were with 5 other riders and the groups were kept small with 2 staff each group which made it great for the rider to staff ratio. We had to learn to trot which was great fun although the words of 'up down up down' got slightly annoying but once I learnt the rising trot made it so worth it for the pain I saved on my butt if I were to have been bouncing

I was at the back and the guides were great and very talkative and kept an eye on the whole group with their communication to each other for checks and made me feel not like another customer or getting service in any awkwardness; it flowed very nicely.

The beach was amazing and so nice of the girls to take photos of us with the beach in the background although could have done with more time on the beach just splashing around *considering there is a sign saying no horses to pass a certain point+ however we were in a time limit

When talking to Zoe, who led the group out, I was glad to know that many of the girls such as herself had been there from such a young age and knew the business from head to tail

Once the ride was over it was a bit sudden, it was to get off and get away was the feeling I got, not to stay and say thank you to Charlotte *my horse* or the guides.

Melbourne
4 attraction reviews
“Exciting Amazing and Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

That's how my 9 year old described the 3 hour kids activity at Gunnamatta Trail Rides. Despite the fact that she was VERY nervous and a bit teary at the start. She attended with her 7 year old sister and they loved it. They were in a class of 6 children and did plenty of riding, including a trail ride and bare back riding. They want to go again!

Melbourne, Australia
“Bogan Broncos”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I had such an awful experiance at this trail ride place, over the years admittedly it has cleaned up its act however half the horses have clearly gone sour and should no longer be trail ride horses - especially for the beginners.
The two girls who appeared to be in charge were bad tempered and were barking orders left right and centre making it very unpleasant for us waiting around to get on.
Zero people skills and quite 'bogan'. infact VERY 'bogan'.
I never want to hear the words 'up down up down up down' ever again nor do will i ever suggest this place to anyone else who just wants to have a fun easy going ride.
We are not there to become superstars on a horse, we just want to get the basics down pat and RELAX.

Visited June 2012