“Really nice B&B in lovely location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ambleside On The Lake

You added Ambleside On The Lake to your Saves list
Ambleside On The Lake
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   15 Leggatt Street, Daylesford, Victoria 3460, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 23 Daylesford B&B and Inns
Sunshine, Australia
“Really nice B&B in lovely location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Spent a really enjoyable weekend with my daughter at Ambleside. Very welcoming host and Linda & Frank offer an excellent breakfast each day - great choices and different menu each day. The location is peaceful but close to all that Daylesford has to offer and the view across the lake form the back verandah is absolutely gorgeous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
franklin3460, Owner at Ambleside On The Lake, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Hi GaidD

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We're happy that you enjoyed everything here. We do try to please and try to provide the sort of service we would like when we go away! It's great when people go away happy and it's even nicer when they spread the word! Hope to see you another time. Linda

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Point Piper, NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Pleasant enough, and friendly, personal service. For she and I, the garden below was a bit unkempt and unloved, and access via the garden direct to the lakeside path was locked off. No maps or useful local information sheets, even though the visitors centre two minutes drive away is very well stocked with a range of maps etc and other information, all of which could have been on display in the B&B. Nor was there any information sheets about local restaurants,hotels and cafes some of which are superb. Maybe 18 years in the same place has made Linda and Frank just a wee bit uncaring about guests' likely needs, for example bringing home takeaways is forbidden, even though they could be eaten on the verandah, enjoying all the birds. But would we go back again? Probably, as quite good value relative to other local offerings.

Room Tip: Definitely seek out the slightly more expensive lake view suite, with front verandah access.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
franklin3460, Manager at Ambleside On The Lake, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Neil,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry you felt let down in some areas, so if you don't mind, I might just address those now:

* When you arrived, you seemed to be in quite a hurry and distracted so I tried not to keep you too long with the check-in procedure. As you pointed out, take-away food isn't allowed in the house, but we do specify HOT take away food, and I mentioned this to you. This is simply because over the years we have had accidents with hot food and several pieces of our furniture have been irreparably damaged or stained as a result of hot take away food. I advised you where the supermarkets were if you wanted to bring back dips/cheese etc and we are always happy to provide plates/knives/napkins etc. In fact, all this information is in the Information Pack I send out to all guests prior to their visit.

* As far as not having any "town information" on hand at the B&B, I might just remind you that I actually send this information out by email, complete with contact phone numbers, with our Letter of Confirmation. Just in case people miss it the first time around, I send it out again with our "Booking Reminder" a couple of days prior to your visit. You would have received all this information by email (twice) prior to your visit. Perhaps you don't read all your emails....? I'm not sure....but there are also brochures and other bits of information on hand in the guest sun room, which everyone can access freely. Perhaps you didn't get to see the sun room. You were obviously pre-occupied with your conference calls and meetings, maybe you missed seeing that information. I do apologise for not having any town maps available at the time. I normally keep stocks of these on hand - but - unfortunately, we were out at the time of your visit. However, had you asked us, we still would have been able to provide you with a map. I normally do make a point of asking people on arrival if they need any help with directions etc, but as I mentioned, you seemed to be in a bit of a hurry or distracted, so I neglected to check this point with you, I didn't want to "be in the way".

* Our garden is currently slightly unkempt as you say. Sadly, we dont have the luxury of gardening staff and unfortunately your visit was just after the Christmas/New Year period was over. You might agree that it's a busy time for most people, and yes, we did let our garden take second priority at this time. It's also very dry at the moment - unfortunately, we haven't had any rain. Dry gardens are never as attractive as a lush green garden. Now that the weather has cooled a little, we will be spending more time outdoors pruning and trimming. Lets hope we get some rain soon which will help with the "dry" look.

* As far as "direct access to the lake" is concerned, had you asked me about access to the lake, I would have advised you about the bitumen pathway (directly across the road) which goes down to the lake. You may be aware, our property is on a steep incline and our garden is quite slippery at the best of times, and subsequently unsafe for people with inappropriate shoes. We do keep our back gate locked - but it's mainly to keep "outsiders" out. I would have also explained this to you at the time, had you taken a moment to ask. In the past, we've had people try to use our garden as a thoroughfare, and with two dogs - that we would like to keep - we've decided to keep our back gate locked. This gate backs onto public land and as such we try to keep the general public from taking short cuts to/from the lake. For some reason, people seem to think they can come into our back garden to wander around and take photos, even when they aren't in-house guests. Gates dont seem to deter some people! I wonder how those people would feel if I wandered into their back garden in the city?

* As to your remark about us being "uncaring of guests needs", I have to say that being a B&B operator for 18 years has given me the knowledge to be able to pick the people who want to chat and those who don't. Your wife was quite lovely and we enjoyed meeting her. We felt that you were on a "business trip", so we played the "respectful host" and stayed out of the way. We're always up for a bit of a chat - if and when required - but we do make ourselves scarce when not required. I've stayed in B&B's where hosts just want to continually talk, and I believe we try to keep a happy medium. Unfortunately, we'll never get it 100%.

I was pleased that you menioned you would be happy to come back because "we offer good value". We have tried hard over the years to keep our prices reasonable. We've also priced ourselves so we don't get the clientele who want to come away and party. We think our marketing and pricing is hitting the target.

Thanks again for taking the time to write your review.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My daughter and I spent a weekend at Ambleside and were very impressed. Linda and Frank are lovely hosts and look after their guests with care. The breakfasts offer great choice and are delicious. We loved the location, a hop, skip and a jump to the lake and second hand book store. We will return!

• Stayed July 2012
franklin3460, Owner at Ambleside On The Lake, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Hi 039electra, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. It's always nice to get good feedback and we're so glad you enjoyed staying with us. We hope you make make it up our way again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ambleside for a weekend (2 nights) in July 2012. We were impressed with the facilities of the Lakeside room, but especially the beautiful view! The hosts were excellent, great breakfast and local knowledge. We really appreciated the extra touches like turning on our electric blanket and heater so our room was warm when we returned from being out for the evening.

Room Tip: Worth paying for the lakeside room, it has its own balcony with a fantastic view of Lake Daylesford
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
franklin3460, Owner at Ambleside On The Lake, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hi Bronwyn B, thanks so much for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. It's always nice to know that people enjoy what we offer. Hope to see you again sometime in the future. The Lakeview Suite is a great room for Summer! :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This has been our third time at Ambleside and we loved it once again. Our room was beautifully and carefully done out to ensure maximum comfort. The view over the lake is magic and we enjoy sharing our experiences with Linda and Frank. They are always there to make suggestions of where to eat and what to see but they will also follow up on any requests. We asked to visit a particular artist and Linda did this straight away. Linda's breakfasts are simply delicious and offer great variety. It is a beautiful place to stay at.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Ambleside On The Lake, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and it was lovely to have you back at Ambleside again. We are grateful that we have so many lovely return visitors! Frank and I hope to see you back again in the not too distant future. Take care....
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Ambleside On the Lake in Daylesford May 2012 and highly recommend this accomondation. The rooms were clean and very roomy and the breakfast was excellent. Our host Kim was so friendly and knowledgeable about the Daylesford district. A great relaxing couple of days and will return for a longer time. Well done everyone at Ambleside On the Lake.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
franklin3460, Owner at Ambleside On The Lake, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Hi Dennik - thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. Feedback is always appreciated and we are glad that you enjoyed your time at Ambleside and in Daylesford. Kim does a great job when we're away and does a pretty mean breakfast too! We all strive to ensure that everyone has an enjoyable visit so we are pleased to read your comments. We do hope that you will make it back to Daylesford again sometime soon. Please let me know if there is anything we can assist with if and when you are able to return.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

i had a couple of nights at Ambleside in May. I chose the most expensive room with the balcony overlooking beautiful Lake Daylesford. This room had the advance of a bedroom with a small lounge, separate bathroom and the balcony. the bed was comfy and there were electric blankets on the bed which i needed in May. The breakfast was really nice. Be aware that the interior walls are very thin and that the other residents have a sitting room adjacent to your bedroom - you can therefore hear every word, giggle and noise from the residents and the TV.

Room Tip: If you want some quiet - choose a room away from the sitting room. If not the large room with the ba...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
franklin3460, Owner at Ambleside On The Lake, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Hi LouieJ50,

My husband and I are currently out of Australia on holidays, but were saddened and alarmed when we read your review of Ambleside. We are terribly sorry that it did not live up to your expectations and we are quite perturbed by your claims. I will be happy to follow up your issues when we return in the coming days and I will be speaking with our Manager to find out about the situation and why this actually occurred. In the meantime, I would be grateful if you could contact me again on our business email and give me the details of your concerns. Can you tell me if you raised your concerns with our Manager before you left?

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the cold snap that hit Victoria when you visited, and Daylesford is located in the hills, but all our rooms do have reverse cycle air-conditioning, electric blankets; as well as additional blankets in the wardrobe. I realise some people do feel the cold more than others and I always ensure the heating is on for guest arrivals. I will look into the operation of the air-con units when we return and make sure they are operating correctly.

With regard to your “Noise” issue, Frank and I have worked extremely hard over the years to build our reputation and have always operated on the philosophy of providing the kind of service that we like to receive when we go away. You will see there are various comments/reviews made about Ambleside, but "noise" has never been a problem in the past and rest assured, it will never be a problem for guests as long as my husband and I are owners. We are very cautious about what we do when guests are in the house and noisy jobs (lawn mowing, vacuuming etc) are always undertaken when guests are out, sometimes that is not always possible - but we do value our guest’s time at Ambleside and we always try to ensure that everything is to their satisfaction. We are sorry that this wasn’t the case for you. We do have separate accommodation downstairs which we live in permanently and our guest lounge is strictly for in-house guests use. If you could let me know more about this problem I realise there is not much I can say or do now, but will certainly follow it up on my return.

I assure you, that I will look into your claims and would like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced at our property.

Been to Ambleside On The Lake? Share your experiences!