“Beautiful, serene, and private” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shelter Cove
Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove
You added Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove to your Saves list
118 Dolphin Drive, Shelter Cove, CA 95589   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Shelter Cove B&B and Inns
Northern California
“Beautiful, serene, and private”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

This is my first hotel review ever. I normally don't take the time to share my travel experience with the masses but i feel compelled to express how impressed I am with this boutique hotel. The pictures do not do the place justice and Richard the inn keeper, and his wife are wonderful. Our one bedroom suite was well appointed, immaculately clean and had sweeping views of the Pacific....The Inn is situated on a cliff overlooking a black rock beach that is absolutely worth the 5 minute stroll! This property is, without a doubt the nicest accommodations within the entire town and Shelter Cove is truly a unique and special destination along the beautiful Lost Coast. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chico, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

I was really looking forward to the Jacuzzi tub, so I was very disappointed when I discovered that the tub was barley large enough to stretch out in, and it was only large enough for one person. We visited during the week and we were the only occupants during our stay, so we were not sure why we were given a room downstairs, instead of a room with the easier access and a better view. It was also very interesting that every time we walked out the front door of our room, the owner was instantly out of his office, nervously greeting us, so we felt like we were being watched on a camera, was it more that a feeling?

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Richard and Margaret (innkeepers) are wonderful hosts! I've never had a more memorable experience. Their inn is breathtaking along with the million dollar views you get from your room. There are no surprises, what you see on the website is what you get. There are no words that can describe the serenity and beauty of Shelter Cove. The hospitality and room just topped off our stay! We stayed 2 nights and brought food to cook. The inn is just a short walk from the black sand beaches. The stay was just amazing and we'd do it again in a heart beat!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Oakhurst, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

We went to Shelter Cove for my 50th birthday. The inn is amazing. Our room was oceanfront with great views. Margaret and Richard were fantastic hosts. They even provided a bbq so my husband could make my birthday dinner!

Wi-fi in the room was an extra bouns. We loved the full kitchen for cooking. Great beaches and hiking close by.

Stay here! You will not find better rooms or more accomodating hosts.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Nevada City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

100 feet above the crashing waves sitting in a jaccuzi tub in the living room of our suite was heaven for me. Just opened in July, the rooms are spotless with every comfort looked after. The cozy bathrobes, the luxurious mattress, the graciousness of the hosts, Richard and Margaret, and a view that can not be surpassed. We loved the hiking, the beach combing, the new mountain bike trail, Paradise Royale, and the quiet atmosphere of the area. A wonderful place to stay, I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

If you want an amazing experience along the coast this is the place for you. My wife and I took our first trip to this region over Labor Day weekend and stayed at the Shelter Cove Inn. We have done a number of trips to scenic destinations around the country in recent years, and while we continue to hope for the best when doing a weekend getaway, most of our previous vacations have taught us to expect a little disappointment. Perhaps we’re particular, but in the end it is rare to find a place that fully delivers all of the hopes you begin to form when glancing over webpages and fantasizing about your trip. Having said this, the Shelter Cove Inn exceeded our expectations and hopes. It is indeed a rare find, and accordingly we made reservations to return before we even left (something we’ve never done before). I cannot convey how nice our weekend was in this brief review, but I can outline some highlights that made our stay perfect. First off, the folks who run the Shelter Cove Inn are fantastic. They have done an excellent job of anticipating what you will need, and it is clear they want you to have a memorable experience at their site. Very friendly and very acommodating, they are the type of people you want to give your business to (and write a glowing review for). The amenities are also top notch. This is a new facility with state of the art construction and materials, appliances, furniture, and the like. The units also have fully functional kitchens. We ate dinner out one night and prepared meals in our unit the rest of our stay. Before arriving this was the plan we came up with due to the lack of dining establishments in the town, but in the future we will opt to cook in our room simply because the kitchen is great and it is such a comfortable space to hang out in…who wants to waste time and money going out (though we had an excellent fresh fish dinner at a local oceanfront restaurant and will go back there as well). I would be remiss if I did not also mention the jacuzzi tubs right by windows that overlook the ocean. You should know that they are as nice as they appear on the webpage! The Shelter Cove Inn’s location is ideal. The Inn itself is on a high cliff overlooking the rocky coast, and you can easily walk to Blacksands beach for the gorgeous sunset. I would foremost characterize our trip as a sensory experience. I hoped for and got stunning views of the ocean. I did not anticipate also being able to feel the ocean breeze and hear the waves crashing against the shore from our room. In the two days we were there the only thing we heard was the continuous sound of the ocean. If you are looking for a bunch of gift shops, nightclubs, and so on this is not the place for you. But if you want a safe, private, and serene spot with comfortable amenities where you can also see the stars at night, walk to sparsely populated beaches, and hear, see, and smell the ocean, this is where you should come. If this sounds like your speed I have three tips. First, be sure to fill up on gas and get your food items at the grocery store in Redway before driving in to Shelter Cove. Second, watch out for skunks if you’re out at night. And third, wear shoes rather than going barefoot or wearing sandals when heading to Blacksands Beach (while it’s called Blacksands Beach, it should instead be called Blacklittlesharperocks Beach).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove? Share your experiences!