“Take the time to spread the POSITIVE word on the DTR!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of David Thompson Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nordegg
David Thompson Resort
You added David Thompson Resort to your Saves list
Box 17, Nordegg, Alberta TOM 2HO, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nordegg
Calgary, Canada
“Take the time to spread the POSITIVE word on the DTR!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

First I’d like to start off by stating – I’m not a paid employee, nor am I a family member. Although, subsequent to my enjoyable experiences with the David Thompson Resort and their gracious staff, I honestly feel like a friend of the family now!

My family and I have actually celebrated 3 memorable, monumental family events at the DTR and I am embarrassed to say, that this is my 1st time to write a review. Sadly, we seem to be living in a time where people take the time to complain, rather than to compliment. This is very unfortunate, as many people can be swayed by negative comments or opinions, when they truly ought to experience and decide on their own.

In my opinion, the DTR is unknown to too many! Located between Jasper and Banff nestled in the Rocky Mountains, on highway 11. The views surrounding the resort are majestic to say the least and are well worth your traveled miles, alone! If you are looking for a hoity-toity, pretentious resort - then stay in the big city! However, if you are looking to create some great family memories, or a wonderful experience with nature, at its rustic finest (don’t worry, they have running water and flush toilets!) along with, good old down to earth customer service - then you really ought to stop by!

Amongst the last 3 years, we’ve celebrated my in-laws 50th Wedding Anniversary, a commemorative memorial and a family reunion for my other side of the family. It is a combination of things, which keeps us coming back! I’ll focus my review on our most recent event held at the DTR, our family reunion that took place over the August long weekend, 2010.

In the beginning of planning my family’s reunion, one of the main reasons I chose this beautiful location, was for their wide range of accommodation options. Whether your budget or desires suit a room in the motel, a stay at one of their quaint cozy cabins, or perhaps you’d like to stay in an RV but don’t have one (or perhaps don’t wish to foot the big fuel bill, to pull it) you can opt for renting an onsite RV, or pitch your own tent or RV in one of the many clean and very well maintained, treed sites – there is something to meet everyone’s requirements. They also have 2 separate, spacious private group areas, which provide the perfect set up for a special event!

What I like best is, that the DTR has not been spoiled by over commercialism and yet it still has all that one could need or hope for! To mention a few - an onsite restaurant, liquor and convenience store, fuel (with a discount!) mini golf along with two extraordinary parks for the kids, and a fabulous gift shop, stocked with unique items for mom to browse! Plus the DTR has the greatest idea around! A unique outdoor family pub, complete with an ‘old school’ kids park right out front! This park quickly becomes every kid’s and parent’s favourite! Amongst the normal playground equipment, they have locally made horse tire swings, and both my kids personal favourites – a stationary old boat and quad! We thoroughly enjoy our time spent at the comfortable family pub, relaxing, socializing with family, friends and personable owners Wendy and Ron. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy a cold beer or a hot Cowboy Breakfast, while watching your kids safely play?! We can personally recommend the Cowboy Breakfast, complete with Ron’s special baked beans and exceptional campfire coffee!

Throughout the reunion, we utilized the resort to its fullest – right down to the beautiful, tranquil grassy area located just behind the motel. This wide-ranging resort, worked out perfectly for our reunion!

The efforts, which all the staff made to look after our event and our guests, were impeccable! For example, Kelly (DTR’s Event Manager) took time from her own dinner break, to take our reunion group photo! This may not sound like much to some, but to those who have ever attempted to photograph 59 family members… then you know it involves absolute chaos and more than just a couple minutes! That is what I consider to be over and above, customer service!

The staffs’ promptness and seamless execution of all of our provided meals, along with any site maintenance and special requests was outstanding! They were all very respectful of our privacy and took care of things without us even noticing! It truly felt like the group area was OUR private space, opposed to US being in THEIR private space!

Upon completion of our successful reunion, I wasn’t surprised with ANY additional, unforeseen costs added to the final bill. Coming from the reunion planner with a very fixed budget, this was very much appreciated! The total bill for catering etc. was by far, more than fair in my opinion!

Working with the DTR throughout the past year, planning our family reunion together really was a pleasurable experience! Their flexibility and eagerness to make our event such a huge success and a memorable one, is truly appreciated! Not only will my family continue to return, but we will also continue to spread the ‘positive’ word of the David Thompson Resort! I believe all 59 people who attended our family reunion will be doing the same, seeing as I continue to receive their compliments, on a job well done! A huge thank you goes out to Kelly, Ron, Wendy, Holly and the rest of the DTR crew, for making this year’s family reunion so terrific, as well as for contributing to our previous times spent at the resort! THANK YOU!!!

Erin McCulloch
(Calgary, AB)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We Booked our wedding last year due to location next to the Heliport and the large campground, Tented Dome for the reception and motel for some of the less hardy guests.
The motel is a little older, and you can tell it gets shut down for winter, but it was good enough by everyone who stayed. We compared the hotel rates to similar in the area, and the prices were very comparable.

The campground was in great condition with the cleanest outhouses possible.
The scenery was amazing and made for fantastic photos.

The Children made great use of the playground.

The staff made the experience. They were friendly, helpful, and seemed to enjoy the festivities and celebration as much as we did.

All around, I could not have asked for a better wedding and all VERY reasonably priced, when compared to the cost of a hall and cocktail wedding in Red Deer.

It was almost sad it was over so Quickly.

Mr. & Mrs. Bick - Red Deer.

• Stayed July 2010
St. Albert, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I almost made a trailer reservation online--the dates I requested were open. However,
when I called reservations they said they were booked. They will not post a warning that their online booking system is not working. So, if a online customer THINKS they have a reservation--- when they don't get a reservation confirmation--DTR ASSUMES, the customer will call--at which time they will explain that their reservation system is not working properly. This is NOT the way to run a business.
Paul Paulsen

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Penticton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My couragious better half recently booked 3 nights for us at DTR in their motel. Sight unseen and web reviews unread............agreed upon only because the location was about half way between the two of us. Round trip totals of about 16 hours driving each. We then both read recent reviews......well.....how bad could it be? Hmmmmm.....I packed the "PLAN B" camping gear!!
I've just driven 8 hours home with a smitten grin and unloaded the untouched camping gear The reflections that came with me are ones of a haven established by a family through haed work, family values, and a fair eye.
Amonst the healthy pines, well serviced RV sites, clean motel rooms,store, gift shop, restaurant, gas station, and awesome kids' playground, are the staff at DTR.
Take a moment to get the pebble out of your shoe and these folks will laugh with you, cook for you, and share thier good fortune with you

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Castlegar, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Our journey to the resort was quite long but well worth it. The scenery was spectacular. Upon arriving the staff were very nice. Once settled in we walked all through the resort and were amazed with what was offered. Our reunion went without any glitches. Our meals were all served on time and were very good. All the servers were very polite. During our picture taking one of the staff offered to take many pictures of our groups, which I found to be very thoughtful of her. It was a wonderful weekend I will cherish for a long long time. Thank You Donna Branning Castlegar, BC

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Medicine Hat, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

this place was a great location for a resot. I stayed in the camp ground but others in our group used all the accommodations. So i have seen the rooms in the hotel. The resort as a whole is exellent. The campsites were big. the resurant food was good. the liquor was over priced so bring enough for your stay. (16.00 for a 6 pack) I would sugest camping unless you want to pay 130.00 for a room in the hotel that is worth half that.
The staff and owners were very nice poeple and they made our weekend. The service was really good. Especially the dark hair girl in the resturant.
Thank You for the wonderful weekend.
Brian Branning, Medicine Hat AB

• Stayed August 2010
Whitefish, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Reserved full service site in June for a 10 day stay for the end of July and first week of August. Make sure you have No problems come up during your reservation... The 14 day Refund Polocy sucks. This is even longer then Hotels....
They assigned us a site, but when we arrived they had changed us to a smaller site that did not fit our unit. We choose a different site to fit our truck and trailer with only power, For this they refunded a small amount. Then after two days of being there, we had a problem come up with family and had to leave. Make this story short, this poorly kept Sardine Can kept over $265.00 --- and supplied nothing for it.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to David Thompson Resort? Share your experiences!