“A+” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cheechako Cabins

Cheechako Cabins
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nordegg
Cheechako Cabins
You added Cheechako Cabins to your Saves list
205 Grouse Meadow Lane | Eastern slopes of the Canadian Alberta Rocky Mountains, Nordegg, Alberta T0M 2H0, Canada   |
edmonton
“A+”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I would recommend this destination to couples, small families.
The 4 of us (and one ankle-biter) stayed in 2 separate cabins mid week August 6-9. I thought the surroundings and cabins were great. Owners are friendly and the grounds are neat and tidy, we didn't feel at a lack for anything except maybe a little more sunshine ( it was a bit rainy when we stayed ).
There is a large common fire pit area and a grassed space big enough for 4 adults to chuck a ball around easily. The cabins are well spaced apart with walking paths and the Llamas where kinda neat too. All in all it was a big thumbs up!! We read the reviews before we went and of course we read the horror stories too. As far as I'm concerned, the rules are no different than anywhere else you might visit. When you stay at a friends place you would be respectful of their property and I would consider this to be on the very same level of respect. When you see the amount of work that has gone into making it an accommodating place to chill out and relax, you will agree 100%.

Anyhow, thank-you to the owners of Cheechako cabins, we enjoyed our stay :)
Ryan & Christa - Edmonton

Room Tip: Chickadee cabin was perfect size for the 2 of us.
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sylvan Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My family and I had the pleasure of staying here for 3 nights mid week at the end of July this year (2012). We had such a wonderful time that we requested to stay an extra night (we only booked for 2 nights) and were greeted with such a big smile from the owners that it melted my heart. My two little girls (age 5 and 3), said and I quote "We love it here, can we live here!!!".

The rooms were pleasantly comfortable and beautifully rustic....although to my husbands camping standards he called it glamping!!! lol. We loved the fact that we didn't have to bring anything except our clothing, food, drinks, and toiletries. Of course we brought all our own fishing gear and enjoyed the many lakes to fish in.

We loved the fact that every cabin had it's own wood stove and that there was a central fire pit to do a nightly hot dog roast and make s'mores. The girls loved to play soccer in the meadow and pet and feed the llamas.

To those of you who think the rules and horror stories are excessive.....you only have to use common sense and clean up like you would at home. This is not the Hilton, but a homey cabin that should be treated as if it was your own. They certainly stock it so that you feel that you are at home.....but I guess that there are those people that expect others to clean up after they leave messes and their own homes reflect that.

I highly recommend the Cheechaco Cabins for anyone with a family. It is off the main road, so you don't have to worry about your kids getting hurt, and the no guest policy makes it nice to allow you kids to travel the yard freely without the need to be constantly at their sides. The library in the office is stacked with DVD's to choose from if you choose to watch the satellite TV and not enjoy the peace and quiet that is available outside your door.

Thank you Cheechaco Cabins for our wonderful stay. We will be back!!!

The Stratichuks of Sylvan Lake

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This was the first time we have ever been to these cottages (Rosy Finch) was absoutely beautiful. Very clean and very nice and quiet. Good fishing lakes all around and lots of hiking to do. For the people who say there is too many rules, this is not a party pad. You come here for rest and relaxation. Staff was very friendly as were their dogs. I recommend these cottages to anybody who just wants a quiet nice getaway for rest and relaxation. Plus the beautiful scenery was a plus!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband and I stay at Cheeckako Cabins at least once a year. We find the owners extremely welcoming, especially as they are dog friendly.

Other reviewers may complain about the rules, but we have never found the rules to be prohibitive. They are reasonable, and require that guests use common sense, and treat the buildings, furnishings and other amenities with the respect you would give your own property. This equals unparalleled cleanliness of all the grounds and property for ALL visitors who stay at the cabins. I appreciate the rules the owners have as it means I can always count on a quality stay in a beautiful location. Their expectations are far from unreasonable - unless you expect to stay on a full service resort where slovenly, piggish behaviour is tolerated.

The location is extremely quiet, and provides for a perfect respite away from the busy city life. There is not grocery store in Nordegg, so be prepared to bring your own food.

Room Tip: For a cozy hideaway, we always choose the Rosy Finch cabin.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Our family had such a wonderful stay at Cheechako cabins. The one thing we loved best was that they don't allow visitors it was wonderful not having people driving by and no loud parties. They have exceptional cabins and are very pristine. Very friendly and beautifully set-up. What a place to stay to enjoy the peace and quiet away from crowded resorts.
They have fully stocked cabins all you have to bring is your food, beverages and your own personal hygiene products. Exceptionally clean
Thanks staff at Cheechako for making our stay so enjoyable!!
Very highly recommended

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

This was my second time staying at Cheechako Cabins and it was exactly what I experienced the first time.
The cabins are absolutely beautiful, I think hand crafted by the owner (not sure about this). Everything is spotlessly clean and well kept. They come equipped with everything you need for a mountain getaway.
I disagree with a previous reviewer about the appropriateness of the "true stories." We found them to be absolutely hilarious. The things some people think are OK really is amazing.
Essentially, the cabins are well maintained, beautifully crafted, and set in one of the most beautiful areas in Canada. I highly recommend these cabins to everyone I talk to.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
nuthouse99, Manager at Cheechako Cabins, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Dear Wild Wilbur,
Thank you for the wonderful review that you wrote for us!

The cabins were indeed built by ourselves with no outside help unless you consider friends and family who chipped in with framing, etc. over the years as well as my uncle from Winnipeg who did all the tree carvings on the property as well as the wood carvings that we sell in the office.

I'm glad you liked the Horror Stories and we frequently get asked for copies of them as well as our "How to do dishes" posted in the cabin binders. Its unfortunate the other reviewer didn't comprehend that the Horror Stories are about EXTREMELY bad behaviour, like the 12 year old who tried to burn down the 2 bedroom cabin with his entire family in it and the honeymooners who ran a meth lab, or that she couldn't see the humour in the stories but that can't be helped. I did take the stories out for a weekend but it resulted in a couple who left almost 2 hours late, left 4 hours of dishwashing and kitchen clean-up and I had to steam clean the area rugs and the couch since since they didn't keep their wet, muddy dog off the furniture. So now there is a NEW Horror Story about what happened when we took the stories out at the suggestion of the other reviewer.

I'm so glad that you enjoy staying with us and I wish more of our guests would write reviews for us, positive or negative. Problem is when we ask guests who have returned year after year to do so, the response lately has been if they say too many nice things then they won't be able to get in when they want next time. To which I reply, if I can't stay full then I can't stay in business and then where would you go? So now I have a stack of reviews people have e-mailed us but TripAdvisor won't let me put them on my page. Oh well, I may just have to add them to our website instead.

Again, thanks for the fantastic review and we hope to see you again soon!
Sarah
Operations/Housekeeping Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

We were surprised at how well equipped and clean the cabins were, owners friendly and the dogs very sociable especially if you fed them, very well mannered. Enjoyed the quiet & peace of the area, able to hike to different areas thanks to being provided with maps and clear instructions.
Thought the stories hilarious and asked for a copy, need how to do dishes for new daughter in law.
Want to return, pictures on web site do just not show what a great place it is, just wat we needed

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cheechako Cabins? Share your experiences!