“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Street, Bramber BN44 3WE, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bramber
Uk
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed in Superior Double in 'Sunnycroft' part of hotel. Large comfortable room ensuite bathroom with shower. Evening meal really nice, help yourself starters, lots of choice. Carvery main couse with nice choice and lovely selection of desserts. Breakfast had good choice as well. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Maggie P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Rotobuck
Thank you for your 5* review. I am delighted to read that you had a most enjoyable stay. We shall look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
High Wycombe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and i had decided that we would take both in-laws away for a Summer break as both sets were well into there eighties and it would be nice for them to have something to look forward to and us to spend some quality time with them.
This was the turn of my wife's parents as we had returned two weeks earlier from a very nice east cost adventure with mine.
We had stayed in various hotels up the east coast from Cleethorpes to Whitby but this was a little bit selfish of me as I hate driving, it allowed us to visit various areas without long mileage but unpacking on a daily basis was a pain and I wouldn't do it again.
My wife's parents had not done many south coast resorts and they were particularly keen on visiting Brighton so the old Tolegate with its good reviews was an ideal choice of base, this meant we wouldn't be living out of a suitcase for a week as with the east coast tour.
We arrived and my wife went to check in whilst i unloaded the in-laws she came out of Reception beaming,I asked for somewhere quiet she said and they have put us in an annex next door and boy are they friendly nothing seems to be to much trouble.
We drove out of the car park and into a house next door we even had our own parking space another of my pet hates about driving.
We unloaded and went to our rooms, first the in-laws room, large spacious and very clean nothing tired everything worked.
After getting them settled we ventured into our room a little smaller than there's but still spacious very clean and by wife pointed out that she had never stayed in a hotel where they had so many electrical sockets and all in the right places the only criticism was the lack of light for her to make up she was jealous of the shaving mirror in the bathroom and she wished that hotels would provide the same thing for girlie's over the dressing table that would have been the ultimate for her I think.
We had arranged to call on them for dinner that night after they had had a rest and we ventured into the restaurant where we were seated, asked if we were staying and then given the low down on how everything works. The staff were so approachable and we felt so welcome.
The food OMG where do I begin, there was a cold buffet which had everything from fish,cold meat to cheeses this was also a selection for your starters, a hot carvery which had 4 huge joints of meat every night also a choice of two Veggie courses a Fish course and loads of well cooked vegetables not forgetting Yorkshire puddings stuffing's and sauces.
The starters were self service and the main course was brought to your table on a boiling hot plate a nice touch I thought save you getting burnt.
If you could fit it in there was also a selection of about 10 deserts from basic fruit,tarts, panna cotta pudding and two hot deserts rice pudding and spotted dick and custard or cream,by the time we had left I had put on 6 pounds.
We sat in the residence bar and lounge after dinner most nights until 10 o'clock the drinks are not to expensive so it was nice just to relax and let dinner digest with a nice Brandy before bed.
The bed were very comfortable and I didn't have a bad nights sleep apart from the last night which was self inflicted, eating to much and I couldn't blame that on anyone else other than myself.
Next morning we ventured down to breakfast with the in-laws who couldn't stop talking about how wonderful the power shower was and how they would invest in one when they got home and also what a fantastic sleep they had, this was also the case for the rest of the week.
Breakfast was just as fantastic as dinner with a vast array of cereals fruit cheeses cold meat pastries and your good old fashioned cooked breakfast which was served to you as with the carvery but you got what ever you asked for i had on most mornings two of everything as i am a big guy and the breakfast is the most important meal of the day especially as I was shopped till you dropped by the females every day,I couldn't have done it without breakfast.
Waiting staff were the best I have come across and my wife who has worked for a number of really high quality hotel groups said she was very very impressed with the quality of staff I was even practising out my Spanish on Jose they were all brilliant to talk to.
I asked one of the waitresses whether she looked at a Sunday roast the same after working in a carvery and she came out with loads of hilarious banter.
We had a great time Visiting Brighton,Worthing, Eastbourne, Bognor, Peacehaven and Newhaven, the hotel was in the right location for all of these places with journey times no longer than around 1 hour.
I named my Review faultless,we have stayed in about 7 hotels or B&B`s in the last 2 months but this is the one hotel that remains close to my heart and I cant wait to go back again next year or sooner if I have my way.
Thanks for a nice stay Old Tolegate see you soon.

Room Tip: The annex is a good choice if you want a quiet secluded room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Maggie P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear CliffHighWycombe
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a fabulous review. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us here at The Old Tollgate. I will share your positive comments with all of my team and we will look forward to your next visit.
best wishes
Redcar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

What a lovely place. The surrounding area is very picturesque unfortunately when I visited recently with two colleagues from Germany the weather was dreadful, heavy rain and high winds in June but even that did not detract from this excellent hotel.
Very friendly staff, nothing too much trouble, superb rooms (mine was 312) extremely clean and beautifully decorated.
Breakfast was top class with a wide choice of just about everything, overseen by an extremely efficient and friendly lady (apologies for forgetting her name) and served by two highly efficient and friendly people Amanda and Jose, the whole team is a credit to the hotel and to Best Western.
I was staying on business however I would not hesitate to take my discerning better half to this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: 312 was excellent, my German colleagues in 311 & 310 were equally impressed one saying it was th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Maggie P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear SteveB
Wow what a fantastic 5* review - thank you. We do strive to exceed our guests expectations and I am delighted to read that both you and your colleagues had a most enjoyable stay. I shall pass on your comments to my team and we hope to see you again in the very near future.
Lichfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a little gem! Now I am very hard to please but I can't think of a single negative to say about this one! Great location, great staff, great food, great room, great fellow guests - what a friendly place!!!! Don't get me wrong- I don't want to be chatty with everyone - or have ' in your face' 'niceness'......this was simply down to earth, good humoured friendliness. It seemed to permeate the entire atmosphere, as though it was 'catching' ....even the chef who carved the joints for the scrumptious carvery and also cooked an excellent breakfast......was chatty - my experience of chefs is they generally keep to themselves in the background. .... And the atmosphere in restaurant was very relaxed and sociable. I requested a table by a window in a section that wasn't actually in use that night ( ...Sunday and after a very busy lunchtime they're were busy, but not packed out) .....without hesitation we were given that table which suited us great!
Our room was lovely, very high standard;scrupulously clean,walk in shower;quiet; free wifi; mini bar & complimentary water (which I do refer to on another review - a 4 or 5 star hotel we'd stayed at the night before that didn't even offer this). Rooms are in different buildings adjacent to main old building, but that was in no way a problem. They were very close, not far to walk. Ours was in a lovely old house with a slightly Art Deco feel. It was just brill!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear meg100
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post this 5* review. I am delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations and I will ensure your feedback is passed back to the team - especially the chef! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have to say that I have had one of the best nights sleep in a hotel in this hotel. The location is superb and there was no noise at night. Fantastic. Also the breakfast in the morning consisted of a fantastic arrangement of cereals, full english and pastries all included in the price. Survice was quick and polit and nothing was too much trouble. Again Fantastic.

Now what lets the hotel down is not the great food and the great nights sleep but the small niggles that were present.

For example there was a desk in the room but this had a vanity mirror attached so there was no space to place a latop and do any work. There is free broadband - great - but it keeps dropping out and was really slow. The towel warmer in the bathroom was miles away from the bath/shower and there was no where to hang a towel closer to the bath. The overall ambience of the room just felt as if it was stuck in the late 80's but as I only stayed in one room maybe the others are different.

Checkout was slow as there was only one member of staff on the desk, and when checking in neither of the two members of staff (talking to each other) behind the desk checked me in but another member of staff.

This hotel has a great potential as the location is fantastic, food is great, excellent nights rest and if the little niggles were addressed it would be fantastic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive feedback. We do listen to our guest comments and I will investigate the issues you have raised. The mirror on the dressing table can be moved to create a larger working space if needed. We have recently had our wi-fi upgraded to a managed system and also have hardwired access points accessible in the hotel. I will raise your comments regarding your check- in with our reception team.
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Expecting a tired English hotel, but it was a only pit stop during our walking holiday.
However this was not the case, we were greeted by bright and friendly staff, given an excellent room for a family of four, clean and comfortable.
Food was good value and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.
Excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Maggie P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Manvers 1976
Many thanks for taking the time to write your excellent review. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay here at The Old Tollgate and hope you come back again soon.
Best wishes
Southport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in May 2013. Room was a standard twin and it was a good size with very comfortable (and large) beds. Room included coffee/tea making facilities, free Wi-Fi and a free safe.
We stayed half board and could not fault the meals; plenty of choice and excellent quality.
The staff were very friendly and helpfull.
This hotel is in an excellent position for visiting Brighton and the surrounding area.
You can leave your car at the hotel & easily catch a local bus to Brighton - the hotel has the necessary timetables.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building room 219 - a bit noisy downstairs as they cleared up the dining room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Maggie P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear mgmurf
We do appreciate our guests feedback and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed both your stay and dining experience. Hope you come back again soon.
kind regards

Been to BEST WESTERN Old Tollgate Hotel? Share your experiences!