“Hygienic and friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Bramber
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Commonly described as a visual á la carte, our award winning Carvery Restaurant offers an amazing choice of locally sourced, seasonal food. For starters we have delicious homemade soups, a variety of hot appetisers and our famous hors d’oeuvres selection including wonderful smoked fish.For main course choose as much as you like from beautifully cooked joints of meat and tasty hot dishes including fish, casseroles, pies and vegetarian options.In addition to daily Rib of Beef, Chef will select from the following succulent roasts:Lamb, Roast Pork with Crackling, Honey Roasted Gammon, Turkey Crown, Chicken, Duckling , Game and more.To compliment your chosen dishes there is always a great choice of freshly steamed or roasted vegetables on offer which are constantly being replenished to maximise their texture and flavour. Everyone's favourite is Yorkshire pudding cooked to perfection, plus our delicious sauces, gravies and oven-baked stuffing. Don’t forget to make room for one of our delicious hot or cold puddings. You can try a little of as many of them as you like! If you prefer you can choose cheese and biscuits with juicy grapes and celery which is offered complimentary within any two and three course menu option.
Brighton
“Hygienic and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I like the fact that although this is a carvery and you can have as much as you like, you don't actually help yourself to the main course. Your selection is plated by the staff and brought to your table by the waitress. Much more hygienic that everyone handling the serving spoons! Food was hot and tasty...although the outside of my roasties were a little on the hard side. Didn't have starter or dessert so can't comment. A little disappointed I didn't know there are discount vouchers available on line... but I will have one for next time.

Visited August 2014
Maggie P, General Manager at Best Western Old Tollgate Restaurant, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear North-South-Belle
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate all feedback which helps in our efforts to exceed our guests expectations. Please check our website for our latest special offers or call the hotel direct on 01903 879494. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
West Chiltington, United Kingdom
“Carvery calamity?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Visiting the Old Tollgate some months after our last visit for a birthday celebration with my family, we knew what to expect or thought we did! As usual we could not fault the starters or sweets, good choice and good quality. However, the main carvery course was a real disappointment. Tasteless beef, dry Yorkshire pud, hard roast potatoes and weak gravy, oh dear! The carvery meal we had recently at the Worthing Toby Carvery was far superior in taste, quality and choice and at half the cost. Is the Old Tollgate getting just too complacent and cannot now be bothered to go that extra mile, come on, if you want our custom again you need to pull your socks up!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maggie P, General Manager at Best Western Old Tollgate Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear DBLT2
I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your dining experience in our Restaurant and I would like to assure you that we do take our guests comments seriously. It is always advisable to bring your dissatisfaction to the attention of the Restaurant Manager who would have done his utmost to have assissted you. Please feel free to call me on 01903 879494 to discuss.
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Great carvey and hotel with attentive staff and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed here a few times mainly on business. The hotel is small and busy so you need to book. Great breakfast and carvery deals so worth a look if you are in the area!

Visited July 2014
Dear Markbinherts
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I shall pass your comments to all concerned. Hope to see you again soon.
best wishes
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Best Carvery in West Sussex”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have eaten at The Old Tollgate on several occasions and have rarely been disappointed with my meal. There is always a good selection of main courses to choose from and you can really eat as much as you want. The vegetables are fresh, varied and cooked with some imagination. The dessert section is wonderful and extremely tempting, they also have a hot pudding on offer as an alternative. The staff are always courteous, friendly and service is quick. On my visit yesterday the weather was beautiful so we had our coffee in the lovely shaded garden and i must just add how good the beef was, on the rare side which i prefer. The bill was £22 inc a tip for 2 courses, coffee and large glass of good wine, unbeatable value!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear sootilly 14
Many thanks for posting your 5* review. We always appreciate when our guests give their feedback and I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your dining experience. We agree with your comments that we are the 'Best Carvery in Sussex'. Please check our website for our latest special offers.
“best carvery ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Used to come here alot with my family when I was younger but as I no longer live in the south I haven't been for a long time so I was pleased that it still remained a fantastic place for a lovely meal. My mum treated us as a belated 30th birthday for myself and my sister. We arrived early but the lady at the bar still got us some drinks while we were waiting and we were seated promptly after. Was a little disappointed with the starter but I'm not really a starter person anyway. The main was amazing and I was really stuffed afterwards. You literally cannot get a better carvery anywhere else! The desserts are the best part though, tons of choice and as I have a sweet tooth anyway I could of eaten everything but I would of been ill! Don't go to this part of the world without coming here- you'll regret it!!!

Visited July 2014
Dear Felicite C
Many thanks for your positive feedback. Our carvery is always consistent in its excellent display of good quality food and I am pleased that you have had another enjoyable experience. I will pass your comments on to our chefs.
best wishes