“Would be more suited to be located in Benedorm....” 2 of 5 stars

Whittlebury Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whittlebury, Towcester NN12 8QH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Midlands UK
“Would be more suited to be located in Benedorm....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Hi, stayed with 12 collegues for one night, on arrival i parked up and made my way towards reception, some 150 metres away. My first observation was that i had mistakenly arrived at a maternity hospital, there were large groups of what could only be described as grossly overweight women in white robes milling about outside, mostly smoking, i could say more, but it would probably be deemed offensive.
On entering reception the shear size of this establishment was impressive, it's vast, with well appointed public areas, and pleasant and efficient reception staff. I was soon looking for my room, which took a while, owing to the magnitude of this hotel, i think there were something like 500 rooms or so. Finall arrived and entered room, not bad, well appointed and clean, unfortunately it was downhill from here on in. There does not appear to be any air conditioning in the rooms, and the heat hit me, opened windows to be greated with horrendous extractor fan noise, and a brick wall about ten feet away. After a short while i found the air conditioning, a £2.50 Tesco fan, which was hiding on the floor. Had a shower in the again pleasant bathroom, before meeting up with mates in bar for a drink, and something to eat. We soon agreed we did not want to join the chavs in the restaurant, so had a bar meal, very average, certainly not memorable. Eventually went to bed, but the heat and noise prevented any meaningful sleep. Arose just before 0600 to load car, met what i think was an assistant manager having a fag outside reception, suggested he may be better employed arranging a breakfast for us all, which had previously been refused on the grounds of its being too early, to my amazement he agreed, so we all got a breakfast of sorts. Incidentally most hotels would accomodate a request for an early breakfast for a group booking, but not this one. The prevous evening must have been some kind of 'ladies evening', and an obviously good time must have been had by all, judging by the overpowering smell of puke eminating from the girlies bog, as i walked past it, just what you need first thing in the morning.
This hotel has all the traits of being bulit with venture capital, the end result being a flash exterior, but with little real substance on the inside, it being unbelievable there was no air conditioning. In conclusion neither i, or those in my party would ever stay here again. Unfortunately it was booked in good faith for us by an Australian company who were not to know any better, and were taken in by the usual glossy website.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Midlands, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I booked a Summer Spa Stay Package for 4 which included use of the Leisure/Spa Facilities on the day of arrival, dinner bed and breakfast.

I also booked 3 treatments each costing £55. Firstly there was a mix up with the treatments and then one was cut short by 20 minutues! Although I complained the Manager didn't seem interested!

The rooms were OK but a little tired. However, the three course dinner was excellent.

I would go again but not on a Monday and perhaps just for a day rather than overnight.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Midlands, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I booked a Summer Spa Stay Package for 4 at Whittlebury Hall which overall was good value for money as you got the use of theLesuire Facilities on the day of arrival, and dinner bed and breakfast. I also booked a treatment for 3 of us which was certainly not worth the money. Firstly, there was a mix up with the booking and then one treatment was cut short by 20 minutues! When I mentioned this to the Spa Manager she didn't seem interested. Clearly, they'd had my money so that was that!!

The dinner was very nice and the Leisure Facilities are good. The room as OK but perhaps a little tired.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from an overnight stay, on a Monday night deal break. The deal break price was good, yet we were one of many people and it was very, very busy for a Monday.
My wife worked at the spa some time ago, and thus she has a Elimis facial treatment. The treatment was not an Elimis facial at all, and the treatment was started late and stopped early. Given all the "deals" on offer and the fact that there are 50 therapists working this is hardly surprising. I also used the "heat and ice" in the spa and found it absolutely packed, with groups of people. Also we could not find any loungers or seats in the pool area, so didnt use bthe pool. Also many of the loungers had towels left on them while people eat lunch, so obviously they were part-german and the spa staff didn't feel this would be an issue...which it was with some people including us.
We did find the hotel aspect very good, good gym,food good, the staff were friendly and making an effort, yet the spa is letting the property down. We would both not recommend staying here should you be after a quality spa experience, go to a smaller spa.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I visited the spa with my friends, someone stole a friends glasses and we had to wait over half an hour with the manager to try to sort it out.. Only to go to into the restaurant and be shouted at by their staff for being late. Worst customer service I've ever seen. Have complained to the manager but she is totally uncaring and won't return phone calls. Not the treat you think it will be VERY disappointing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I've never actually got to stay at this hotel, despite being charged almost £200. I made a booking and had to call and cancel on two occassions and on both was told this wasn't a problem as long as I stayed within a year of the original booking. Reservations were very helpful until I was told there was no evidence that I'd ever booked (and payed) at all! After complaining, I was then told that my cancellation was never recorded so I was just a no-show. I have complained to the general manager who, over two months later, has still not responded!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Bracknell, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

I visited Whittlebury Hall with my wife in February, for what was meant to be a relaxing spa break. The main problem is that there are far too many rooms in relation to the services available, so spa and restaurant facilities are extremely overcrowded. We encountered numerous problems, listed below, but got no response to the letter of complaint I sent;
We booked the buffet lunch for 1pm, and got to the restaurant just before 1pm, but were not shown to our table until 1.10pm due to a long queue. The waitress made it clear that we had to vacate the table by 1.45pm, but there was an even bigger queue for the buffet and we didn't get our food until just after 1.30pm. I was expecting to be able to go up twice, to get hot and cold food separately, but instead had to pile my plate and rush my food as I was wary of the time.
We were told that we could check into our room at 3pm, so got to reception just before 3 but were told our room wasn't ready, and it would be a further 10 minutes. We sat in reception, checking if our room was ready at 3.10, then again at 3.30, but our room was not actually ready until 3.45pm. We got to our room and unpacked our bags, but when we went to put our clothes away discovered that the room was already occupied (the previous occupants were in the middle of a 2 day stay, so the wardrobes were full). We phoned reception, who found us another room, but by the time we checked into this room it was 4.30pm, so we had lost nearly 2 hours of a quite expensive spa day!
The room we were eventually given was a twin room, so we asked for the bed to be switched to a double. We then went down to the Heat and Ice area, but it was absolutely crammed with people, and we could not get a space in any of the working amenities (the salt steam room was out of order), so walked around for 10 minutes before giving up and going to the pool.
We returned to our room just before our treatment at 6pm, and still had twin beds so again asked for this to be changed, which we were told would be done immediately. After our treatments we returned to our room to get ready for dinner, and had to ask again for the beds to be changed to a double. We were assured that this would be done while we were at dinner
We went to dinner, and again there was a large queue to get a table. The waiter was very friendly, but service took ages due to the sheer number of people crammed in. We went to the bar before going back to the room at 11pm, and still had 2 single beds. We phoned reception and were told that there was now nothing they could do, so we had to make do.
We went to bed but were awoken just after midnight by a very rowdy group of ladies in the corridor. This didn't concern me as I knew the hotel was popular with hen parties, and I assumed they would soon go to bed. I was unlucky enough that they actually went back to the room next door to ours, and continued their party there. With thin walls it was impossible to get to sleep, so I phoned reception at 1am to see if they could be asked to quieten down. Somebody came up promptly, and the ladies did talk a bit more quietly for 10 minutes or so, but were soon back shouting and banging around (continuing until after 3.30am), leaving us unable to sleep.
We went to breakfast extremely tired, and were not surprised to again see huge queues to get a table, and again for the buffet. The waiter was again very friendly, but took an age to serve things like tea and coffee due to the number of people he was expected to serve. We had hoped to have an early breakfast so we could try again with the Heat and Ice treatment we had paid for, but were too tired due to the rowdy hen party.

To summarise, I paid for a relaxing spa break to include a Heat and Ice treatment, but ended up having to rush lunch due to the overcrowding, wasting 2 hours trying to check in, being unable to use the Heat and Ice Treatment due to the overcrowding, getting a twin room when we had booked a double, and having a poor nights sleep due to the rowdy neighbours.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!