“second visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“second visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here at a conference with work. The rooms are lovely really enjoyed the stay.
We took over the hotel the staff must have been exhausted but were efficient and polite always.
The only draw back was the heat and no air comditioning though they did supply a fan.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear lindadennis

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall with your work in July.

It was a pleasure to welcome your company back to Whittlebury and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, perhaps you will have the chance to visit on for leisure next time.

Regrettably no air conditioning is installed in our bedrooms and I do hope that on this occasion, you were not too uncomfortable and that the fan provided did help.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your colleagues back to Whittlebury in the near future.

Kind regards, Ruth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Disappointing mass catering from what is a typical conference hotel, but have stayed in a lot better. The spa facilities were good but vastly over crowded so not relaxing. First time I have had to have a fan on all night in a uk hotel, due to the over heated rooms. The rooms were comfortable so if its a convenient overnight stay this does the job but no frills.

Dear Butchers3

Thank you for your valued and constructive review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in August.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet all of your requirements. Like many hotels in the UK, we unfortunately do not have air conditioning in our bedrooms. Despite no heating being in operation throughout the summer months, due to the wonderful, hot summer period we were lucky enough to experience, the hotel did contain the heat. To try and make the temperature more comfortable for our guests, we did provide fans in all of our bedrooms.

I am pleased that you were able to experience and enjoy the Spa and Leisure facilities. Whittlebury does operate one of the largest hotel spa's in the country and is popular.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the near future.

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I booked an early summer offer 1 night stay with a friend for the very reasonable price of £49 each .

This included being able to use the Leisure facilities from 3pm one day to 11am the next, a three course dinner and breakfast.

We arrived at 3pm and went to check in at reception. On checking we were told that the room wasn't quite ready but we could check in to start our stay and use the facilities.

Whilst my friend had some treatments in the spa I used the swimming pool that was quiet enough to be able to have a good swim and then rest on one of the sunbeds. After changing I went up to our room which was ready, the room was well equipped but a bit of a disappointment to have a large stain on the carpet just outside the bathroom and also a lace curtain on the window which was hanging off the runner at one end.

When getting into the room there was some noise outside our window sounding like a pump but this could not be heard at night just during the day.

Apart from this all was good.

The meal is the evening was fantastic with a good choice for vegetarians that was nice to see.

The breakfast was good to with plenty of choice

I would stay here again but would like to see some tlc on the bedrooms as it seemed to lose something from the grandeur of the rest of the Hall.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Wellygirl67

Thank you for your valued review following your recent visit to Whittlebury Hall.

I am pleased that overall you found your visit to be good value for money and enjoyed the time in the Spa and Leisure club.

Your comments regarding the bedroom have been duly noted and passed on to our Head Housekeeper to maintain. I am pleased to advise that in 2014 we will be planning a redecoration programme of all our 213 bedrooms, I am certain that if you were kind enough to visit us again in the new year, you will see some improvements.

I am delighted that your evening meal was fantastic and that we suitably catered for vegetarians and that there was plenty of choice at breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have been to this hotel on a number of occasions for my birthday and the last occasion was really disappointing. The hotel was really hot (no air conditioning) and it was really loud in the evening, it is constantly used for business conferences, there was a large group when we stayed which obviously had a few too many drinks and were outside shouting. We addressed it in the morning to the Manager and were told we had to of told them at 1am in the morning! all in all a bit poor really. The spa is really nice but I wouldn't recommend the hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dancia2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in July 2013.

I am most sorry to read that despite many previous enjoyable visits, your last stay was not to the same high standard and was disappointing. We are indeed a very popular destination for leisure, conference & corporate and function business and I am sorry that you were disturbed by fellow guests. We do not condone loud or unsociable behaviour and had our Night team been made aware that other guests were being too loud, then they would have kindly asked them to keep the noise to a minimum.

I am pleased that the Spa was really nice and enjoyable. I do hope that you would be kind enough to reconsider and visit us again for an overnight stay.

In the meantime I look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Day Spa.

Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Picked this hotel due to the closeness to Silverstone (10 minute drive), so the location is great. You can actually hear the cars from the hotel.
We used the spa on Friday afternoon and I was surprised by how busy it was, it could have been a Saturday. Nice facilities but fairly small for the number of people in there. You can't really swim properly.
Dinner was included in our rate. The food was amazing - definitely worth staying in for. Our waiter was great, really helpful! We also had lunch in the bar. Nice but very overpriced - £25 for 2 sandwiches and 2 soft drinks!!
Breakfast was ok but I wasn't a fan of the pre-done toast!! I'd rather stand and toast my own.
The room was huge and really clean. The only issue was no A/C. The room was really hot even with the fan on.
Would stay again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Duet4123

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and would wish to return. Your comments have been duly noted and taken on board.

The hotel and spa is very popular, if you visited us in August, this was still within the school holiday period, which does become more popular than at other times.

I am glad that you found the food to be amazing and have passed your kind feedback on to the Executive Head Chef.

Luton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

First things first I phoned to change the date of my visit to a day early. They took ages and couldn't find my details. They said they couldn't find my details even though I gave them my reference number. So the lady said she would phone me back as soon as she found my details to confirm everything. Well after waiting for about four hours I decided to call them back to discover that the lady had gone home and had no intensions of calling back at all. Not good costumer care at all.
When you drive to Whittlebury hall its not signposted you have to go into Whittlebury park to find the right location. You can only check in at three in the afternoon so you have to hang around the spa/gym for the whole day. The gym was good and quiet.
The heat and ice experience was busy so we decided to go in the next day before we left to discover that we were not allowed. Apparently you can only go into the spa on the day of arrival. If you wanted to use the spa the next day you have to pay an extra £27.50 each and still check out at 11. This was not explained to you by the staff on arrival or in the confirmation email.
Some of the spa staff were helpful but some made you feel a bit of an inconvenience.
The chlorine within the pool (in the jacuzzi and jet area in the pool) is so strong it hurts your eyes, apart from that the pool was lovely. It was hard at times to get a sun lounger. Its advisable to bring a book or magazine to read as you are waiting around a long time to get into your room. The sauna and steam rooms next to the pool were nice. The room was great. Was lovely and clean and spacious. Also the breakfast was lovely no complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear LouHowitt

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review.

I am sorry that there was some misunderstanding with the location of your booking when you were trying to change it from one date to another and for the delay this took.

There are National Highway Brown Tourist Signs displaying Whittlebury Hall on several major roads surrounding our area - the A43 & on the A5 from Milton Keynes. Whittlebury Hall is located in the same grounds as Whittlebury Park and there are signs on the front wall/gate.

We have various different packages to suit different needs and requirements. According to our records you chose to book the August Special Promotional package, which, like many special offers do have terms and conditions and stipulations to what is included in a package. However, we do also have packages whereby guests have full use of the spa and leisure facilities on both day of arrival & departure, but this package is slightly a higher price. We also have packages that include lunch and a selection of treatments as well as dinner, bed and breakfast.

Check in to bedrooms (like many hotels around the country) is from 3pm. Those guests that are on a spa package, therefore are able to arrive as early as they wish and enjoy the many excellent spa and leisure facilities we have to offer. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the gym and you may be interested to know that in October we will be upgrading the facilities to state of the art gym equipment.

Our Spa is popular and I am most sorry if you found it to be too busy. We do have one of the largest hotel spa's in the country and so can accommodate the larger amount of guests and larger groups.

I duly note your valued feedback regarding the chloring levels although we do carry out water inspections throughout the day on all our pool areas.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the sauna and steam rooms and that your bedroom was great & clean and tidy and thank you for your kind feedback.

I do hope that you will be kind enough to visit us again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

It was such a lovely birthday treat, 5 star customer service from most of the staff.

I booked it via virgin experience and I feel it was well worth the money.

I didn't manage to book a treatment but I know the sauna, steam and pool area was more than enough for us.

The eating area was very spacious, the choice of food was fair and the general toilets were very clean at all times

Our room I feel was very nice and clean even though I like to bring my own pillow case, overall I know as I have already done so recommend this place to both couples and group bookings. This hotel is nice enough for a wedding

• Stayed August 2013
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear VenusChrome

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in August to celebrate your birthday.

I am delighted to read that you had 5 star customer service and had a lovely stay whereby you were able to enjoy and experience the facilities.

Thank you for recommending us to your family & friends and we look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the future.

Kind regards, Ruth

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!