“Will return again and again.” 5 of 5 stars

Whittlebury Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whittlebury, Towcester NN12 8QH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Margate
“Will return again and again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and I booked in for three days over the New Year period and would recommend it to our friends and family as we have done in the past.This was our forth visit and hopefully more to come.Having stayed in many hotels over the years,I could find fault in Whittlebury Hall as well as any other hotel we have stayed in but that is not what we set out to do.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Peter P

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in December.

I am delighted to read that you and your wife had another lovely stay during the New Year period and thank you for your kind comments and recommendations.

We look forward to welcoming you back later this year.

Kind regards, Ruth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here on their Gala event for NYE - £175 each.

The hotel is lovely, staff are nice and friendly, food was delicious, rooms were well equiped and clean. Finally the breakfast is huge and of a very good quality.

Unfortunately the Spa was cold - this was due to an incident a few days before were everything has to be "reset". We were disappointed that they hadn't told us on arrival - the spa pool was v cold, and not all the facilities were working.

What was most annoying was when I mentioned this on checkout their "PR Manager" told me that use of the spa was not included in the price. In fact I would go as far as to say she was plain and simply rude to me. I asked her to check beccause I though it was and she told me I was wrong. Great PR!!

Checked the website, and called the hotel later and I was right.....

Won't be going back with staff like this on the main desk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear SomeServicePlease

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall on New Years Eve.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed the Gala event and thank you for your kind comments and feedback, which has been passed on to the team.

Unfortunately a mal-function with the water temperature in the hydrotherapy pool had taken place and our Maintenance team were working as hard as they could do rectify the problem, I am sincerely sorry that you were unable to use the facilities.

I would like to assure you that it was a genuine mistake with regard to whether the spa was included in your package and there was no rudeness intended and I am most sorry for any misunderstanding. I understand that correspondence has been made between us.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Bought as a birthday present a day spa and three course dinner with overnight stay. A real surprise and ideal gift for anyone. relaxing afternoon followed by excellent cuisine and a great selection of wines.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear WallyWelling

Thank you for taking the time to write a trip advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in December.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and all aspects of our facilities and look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the future.

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Having already enjoyed a weekend break at Whittlebur​y Hall Hotel & Spa for my birthday in the summer I was looking forward to having a Spa Break with treatments, three course meal and upgraded to a Club Room. My wife and I stayed on 30th December and left on the 31st. We had enjoyed our previous break and felt very relaxed by the time that we left. However, due to a series of problems this time it was not the case.

Upon arrival we noticed that the place was mobbed and upon entry to the day spa we had to queue for 15 minutes before being directed to an unmanned table out in the corridor as this was where those staying overnight had to check in. After a further 5 minute wait out there someone turned up and gave us an envelope and told us to go to the locker rooms. When I got to the male locker room I found that my wristband that controlled the lockers did not work. I then had to go back to the corridor to queue. I was then told abruptly that because it was bury I had to use the a different changing room close to the gym. After all this queuing and messing around we then found in our pack that our spa treatments time had already started so we had to change and rush upstairs. The stress levels at this point were higher than when we arrived!

When in the spa it was like a beach in Blackpool. The heating was not on in the central pool which previously had been lovely and warm and now was freezing. We also struggled to use the sauna and other areas due to the number of people in the spa. We had no chance of getting any of the loungers around the main pool.

There were some good things about our visit. The food as usual was to a very high standard - lunch, dinner and breakfast and the staff although very busy did their best. Our Clubroom 153 was extremely good and highly recommended. It was larger than the last room that we booked (also a Clubroom) and the basthroom was HUGE.

This morning on waking up, however, we were hit by another problem. I woke up and went to the bathroom but upon turning on the switch a fuse blew and all the lights went out. We didnt want to call reception and have someone from Maintenance come up to our room at that time of the day so instead got up, had breakfast and left.

Some of this was our own bad luck as I know that this hotel from previous experience can be very good. However, my top tips would be:
- Avoid booking at busy times (between Christmas and New Year or maybe other bank hols) when it is likely to be busy
- Book a Clubroom - the extra to upgrade isnt much and the rooms are much better than other rooms

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear boysinc3

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review and feedback, which is invaluable in our efforts to continually improve the quality of our guest service.

I am pleased that there were many aspects of your stay that you enjoyed although am most sorry to read that you encountered some disappointments and some areas did not meet your personal expectations as per previous visits. Your comments have indeed been duly noted and passed on to our teams and Managers. We are looking at ways to improve the residential spa check in procedure and hopefully when you return you will see some improvements.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

On arrival to the spa area, eyes starting hurting and became red and watery. When asked on several occasions the reason was unknown. After further deliberation the receptionist confirmed to another guest (swimming instructor) the chlorine levels were extremely high and hazardous to health. Other guests including us were coughing. Eyes were watering and became unwell. The hydropool was switched off and remained switched off for an hour or so. The hydropool was switched back on and we returned back to the spa area. The water in the hydropool was freezing cold and the symptoms we experienced worsened including breathing difficulties. On exit from the spa area due to the symptoms. When discussed the issues with both the duty and guest manager they were very uncorporative, unhelpful and would not admit the seriousness of the matter. In return offered that we could use the facilities the following day (today) when asked if we could have a late checkout and whether the facilities were up to scratch. The guest manager responded by informing us that the hydropool jets were not working, water remains cold and was abrupt and rude. Also the Guest Manager said that we cannot have a late checkout as the hotel is fully booked. When we spoke to reservations they confirmed that they have over 15-20 rooms available for tonight so it was apparent that the Guest Manager was not giving us the correct information. This experience has been the worse experience ever and I would recommend to go to Sherwood Forest where you will have a pleasant experience.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Zedi768

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

Further to our correspondence, it was explained that unfortunately a mal-function with the water temperature in the hydrotherapy pool took place and our Maintenance team were working as hard as they could do rectify the problem, to do this the hydrotherapy pool only was closed for approximately 50 minutes and sincere apologies were made to our guests for the inconvenience. Water checks are carried out throughout the day to ensure correct limits of chemicals are being used and I can confirm that chlorine levels were correctly within health and safety guidelines. I am sorry for the issues you encountered, however several gestures or recompense solutions were made to you, all of which were sadly declined.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had a wonderful spa break at Whittlebury hall on 28th to 29th December. I booked the £59 Winter get away deal (x 2), but upgraded to a club room and the Heat and Ice experience. The customer care was great, the staff, polite and attentive. The room was large and clean with a lovely view of the grounds; complete with wine and nibbles. Our Three course evening meal in Astons was very good. The waiting staff were pleasant and friendly. All in all, we came away feeling well rested and relaxed. I could not fault our break.
As other reviews have highlighted, it is important to consider how busy the hotel gets especially on weekends. I was a regular visitor to Whittlebury Hall some years ago, but was put off by the extremely busy weekends, a rather ‘pack em in’ feel rather than a, feeling of relaxation and care. I do hope that management review this issue. It was only by chance I decided to give Whittlebury Hall another go and am happy that I did.
I would definitely return, but once again I would book for a mid to end of week stay.

PW

Room Tip: We had a corner room 302, very large although some distance from Reception
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear PAW2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor and I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of your return visit, your kind comments have been passed on to the teams and Managers.

Your feedback has been duly noted and I am pleased that you have noticed improvements since a last visit.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the near future for another enjoyable stay.

Banbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were here for a corporate party recently. As my wife was the organiser, we were clearly given a 'better' room than many of the reviewers on here - we were in 154. Apparently the 1 and 2 series rooms are better than the 3 or 4 series.

A really nice, spacious room with lovely views across the golf course and all the facilities you could ask for. However, there was half a pretzel under the dressing table in clear view. Worse still, there was a streak of blood and snot down the inside of the shower curtain. Also some interesting red wine (?) spots on the ceiling above the bed. Generally these issues would have been enough for me to downgrade to a 3. However, everything else was just so good that I feel it deserves a 4. Even the food at the dinner was excellent - not bad for mass catering - and the breakfast in the morning was excellent and plentiful.

The building is very grand and impressive, and I believe this could be quite some place if they would just pay a bit more regard to basic housekeeping.

Room Tip: Try to get a room beginning with a 1 or a 2.
Dear Obarmoth

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review.

I duly note and appreciate your feedback and I am sorry for any shortcomings with regard to the bedroom, your valued feedback has been passed on to the Head Housekeeper. I am pleased that despite this you both enjoyed your stay and party.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the near future.

Kind regards, Ruth

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!