“Beautiful hotel but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Towcester
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here for a business conference and the facilities where great with plenty to eat and drink. The conference rooms where large and very well maintained with no disruptions.

My room was large with a beautiful bathroom and plenty of facilities in the room including tea and coffee, safe, bath robe and stocked fridge. The bathroom products are elemis a very luxury range. The only downside was the bed it was very hard and the pillows where very thin.

The bar and lounges are beautiful with very comfortable seating, all the staff where friendly and professional and seemed to very attentive.

Thank you for making the conference and meal a great experience.

• Stayed November 2012
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear runath

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review following your stay at Whittlebury Hall in November.

I am most pleased that you enjoyed your visit when you were attending a conference and thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

We have recently invested in our Conference and Function rooms and areas and I am delighted that you were well accommodated during your stay. I duly note your valued feedback regarding the beds and pillows and have passed on your comments to the Housekeeping Team - we do have a bedroom update and decoration programme planned for this year.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the near future for both business and pleasure.

1,111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Watford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is the most difficult review I've had to write. It is also very difficult to give one rating as my stay here was quite a mixture of quality of service. It was GOOD but not very good,hence my average rating.

I'll start with the positives:
1. Treatments - I had four over two days; all three therapists that administered the treatments were polite, friendly yet professional,and very good at what they do. I would definitely return for the treatments. They do "recommend" products that they obviously want you to buy but I didn't feel pressured into doing so.
2. Room size - the rooms are very generous
3. Pillows - some of the most comfortable pillows I've had in a hotel
4. Beautiful grounds - my room overlooked the golf course
5. Comfortable lounge area behind reception, with a real fire and lots of comfy sofas.
6. Pleasant , friendly housekeeping staff (I feel bad as I completely forgot to leave a tip and they did a wonderful job of the room)
7. Cleanliness - the bedroom was immaculate (with exception of the desk chair) and I was amazed how clean the public areas were given the volume of traffic - the place was VERY busy on the Sunday.

Could have done better:
1. Although the room was fairly luxurious they missed a few little details , considering we'd upgraded to a club room. There were no cotton buds in the bathroom, or nail file; you know what I mean, those little extra touches which usually come as standard in somewhere like a Hilton.
2. I wanted to book extra treatments on the Sunday but was told there was nothing for that day, I did manage to book treatments for the following day but had to wait until after 3pm before I could do so for some unknown reason. They missed a trick as none of the nail-bar stations were in use on Sunday, neither was the hair salon, and I would have been very happy to have paid for a manicure or blow-dry while I was there.
3. Plastic weeping fig trees in the bedrooms - come on Whittlebury , ditch the fakery!
4. No net curtain in my room (257) - though my friends room next door (255) did - just a minor inconvenience in the morning having to keep the curtains closed.
5.Breakfast - There were far fewer choices than I've had in much smaller hotels,no seeds, nuts, all-bran, cooked veggie options and you didn't get a pot of tea or coffee, just a cup. Not impressed.

Now for the negatives:
1.Hotel Check-in - there were only two check-in staff ,despite being a very busy Sunday morning. One girl clearly knew what she doing and was thorough in her directions to the Spa area and general information regarding dinner times etc . Unfortunately we had a gentleman who, although very friendly and polite , clearly found it all too much, he kept forgetting our names, he didn't know what time we were booked in for dinner, didn't tell us where to go next; we pretty much had to prompt him for everything.
2. Spa reception - there was someone at the door to greet us and hand out our itinaries, this was fine. Once we went to get our obligatory robe & towel however , the young girl there again had to be prompted to give us information, no information was volunteered even though we said we'd never been before. We didn't realise until quite a while later there were two seperate parts to the spa and three "reception" type areas, all very confusing!
3. Layout of the Day Spa and Health club spa - to get from the day spa to the health club spa area you had to either go through the hotel, up & down stairs , or walk through a draughty open-air covered walkway, which is where the smokers hung around, so it always stunk.
4. Lack of soundproofing in the bedrooms- I could hear everything going on in the room next-door, and however carefully you tried to close your door it slammed.
5. Food & Drink - I was a little disappointed with the quality - though having said that, the blood orange cheescake was AMAZING! My friend ordered an irish coffee in the restaurant and they didn't put any sugar in it - the next day at the bar when she asked for one again, they asked her , "is it just coffee with whiskey and some cream ontop?". We also ordered "beer battered cod" at the bar, and received breadcrumbed fish (definitely not cod); I said they hadn't given us what we ordered and though the response was polite; it was obvious they couldn't have cared less whether we'd liked it or not.
6. Fire and ice experience - this was ok , but I was bored within 10 minutes. It was much smaller than I expected , there seemed to be room for only 2 people to do anything at any one time. The "ice cave" was enjoyable for all of 20 - 30 seconds; I didn't get chance to use the foot baths as there were only 2 - and there were about 30 of us vying for them so I gave up. If there had been half a dozen of us in there it would probably have been much more relaxing.

So in summary - would I go again? Yes,the treatments were worth it, but I'd probably try and stay B & B only rather than full board, and go mid-week to avoid the weekend madness.

Room Tip: My room (257) was on the second floor, above the reception , overlooking the golf course. Nice view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Woody67Watford

Thank you for your very detailed trip advisor review and for your feedback.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and duly note your valued comments where improvements can be made, this is invaluable to us improving our guest service.

I do hope that you will be kind enough to visit us again in the near future when I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We spent a day and overnight stay at Whittlebury Hall and Spa as part of my 70th birthday present from my wife, we had the use of all the facilities in the spa, the jacuzzi , the sauna, steam rooms, the ice house, the swimming baths, from 10.00am to 22.00 pm, plus I had a back and shoulder massage , which was very good and invigorating , the othe part of the deal was that you were given a buffet lunch which was excellent, a lovely fish pie, the best I eaten for a long time, and a dinner in the evening, a great piece of rump steak well done, no fat or gristle ,Plus we were allowed a breakfast in the morning of our departure, the staff in the restaurant could not do enough for us, you felt like royalty, in fact all of the staff both in the spa and hotel were great and always willing to help, my wife upgraded us to a bigger room which was very nice with a very comfortable bed, all in all I would highly recommend a stay there whatever deal you visit with, I can see why they have been voted amongst the top spas in the country.

Room Tip: If you are staying at the hotel I would recommend an upgrade to a larger room, it is worth the extra...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Eurotravellers21

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review.

I am delighted that you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay and thank you for your kind feedback, which I have passed on to the teams. I am glad that you had a memorable 70th birthday treat.

We all look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to Whittlebury Hall for another wonderful visit.

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have an outstanding compalint with this hotel for many reasons which i shall list. I was really looking forward to the spa day which a friend recommended but even she said they've gone massively down hill since she went last (2 years or so ago). For starters, poor service at reception - all the girls looked miserable and there customer service attitude was something left to be desired. Our robes were dirty, spa pool was cold and our massages between us both seem to be very incosistent - no music in the room for me and I seemed to be next to a laundry room so it was not relaxing with all the banging around! Finally, the lunch! Oh the lunch - very very poor quality and again overpriced drinks for what....a waste of money that's what. Real shame about this hotel - great surroundings but i won't be recommending this place and i'm very annoyed about passing my complaint over in early November and still do not even have a reply yet! Poor SLA's to go with their poor spa day!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Charlie_Leicester

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in November.

I am most sorry that you had a disappointing spa day and would like to assure you that the service you received is not typical of the excellent hospitality we strive to achieve. I appreciate that there were some issues that you were unhappy with and apologise to you and I understand that these have been now dealt with.

I do hope that perhaps you would be kind enough to visit us again when I can assure you that you will be taken care of.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Despite poor service at the reception, our treatments being booked at different times and it being busy, we managed to enjoy our Day Spa. A good lunch and nice Elemis soaps/hand creams used throughout the spa were the highlights. ‘Heat & Ice’ offered a range of experiences but temperatures were not hot enough and lacked visual and auditory impact (apart from one room).

Loungers are located around the main pool, few minutes’ walk from the Day Spa. In the same area you will find a much hotter Jacuzzi, Saunas and Steam rooms than in ‘Heat & Ice’ area.

Treatments were OK. A ‘Quiet room', where you can have a nap in a proper bed, is almost hidden upstairs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear ulchiki

Thank you for your recent trip advisor review following your visit to The Day Spa.

I am pleased that despite a few issues you did enjoy your day and lunch and thank you for your valued comments which have been passed on to the teams.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the future.

Ringwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Facilitated and produced a client's sales conference event for 180 persons at the hotel, event included provision of heated and fitted marquee, hog roast, integral bar and exterior 15 minute private firwork display.

Hotel event manager and all involved staff were a joy to work with from the first minute when checking in to leaving the following day, nothing too much trouble and all with a smile!

Very good food in restaurant, comprehensive and realistically priced wine list, very comfortable room with great flat screen and extremely comfortable beds.

All in all, for a change it was a pleasure to work at a hotel venue!

Room Tip: Try for a golf course view upper floor room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Pat M

It was a pleasure to work with you and welcome you and your client's to Whittlebury Hall in November - we are most pleased that the event was a great success and thank you for your very kind comments and review.

The firework display was spectacular!

We look forward to welcoming you and your clients back to Whittlebury Hall in the future.

Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Attended this hotel for a 2 day conference but did not use the Spa facilities so can provide no comment on those.

Great, friendly service although a colleague of mine had a dodgy pint, which was promptly changed without fuss or hassle.

Rooms are of their time but not necessarily worn or tired - just not particulary modern. Bathroom huge, powerful shower over bath and bed comfortable.

Check in staff friendly and helpful - experienced no issues at all and my bags arrived in my room as planned whilst I was working.

Evening meal in our own conference suite was excellent - attentive service and well presented and prepared.

Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ian C

Thank you for taking the time to write your Trip Advisor review following your recent visit to Whittlebury Hall.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendly reception staff and your excellent evening meal.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury Hall in the future.

Kind regards, Ruth

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!