“Great for an overnight spa break!” 4 of 5 stars

Whittlebury Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whittlebury, Towcester NN12 8QH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great for an overnight spa break!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here on a 'girlie' night with a couple of friends. We had a special offer package of dinner, bed & breakfast and added the day spa facilities for a mere £15 extra each!

We were asked on booking if we wanted to upgrade to a club room for an extra £15 and opted for the basic. For the price we paid, we were very impressed. The room was spacious, clean, will equipped and comfortable. The dinner was nicely presented and the service was excellent - we were all impressed with the polite hotel staff. Drinks with the meal were expensive, as were drinks in the bar.

We were later going down to breakfast and this was OK - not as good as the dinner. Some dishes were running out and lukewarm and we struggled to get the attention of the waiter for more tea and coffee, but it was OK. We had a lovely, relaxing time in the day spa. We didn't have lunch as we'd had a meal the night before and a large breakfast but there were apples and pairs and fruit tea available. Treatments also seemed expensive, but those in our party who booked these were impressed.

Overall, we had a fab time and are already planning our next visit..

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine - didn't see the club rooms but the rooms we had were very good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Sue T T

Thank you for your recent review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall.

I was very pleased to read that overall you and your friends had a fab time and I am delighted that to read that you are already planning your next visit.

I duly note your feedback regarding the breakfast and food is replenished throughout the morning and as quickly as possible I am sorry if there were delays. I have passed your comments on to the Restaurant Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Whittlebury in the near future.

Kind regards, Ruth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have now visited this hotel/spa several times in the last 4 years. Each time the experience gets progressively worse. I'm not sure why I keep going back...something about the fact that the deals/offers just keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

I stayed a few days ago with some friends on a cheap "summer deal" the hotel had. Suffice to say...you get what you pay for! £49pp (plus an upgrade to a club room £15 and the Spa £15) and here is what I got...pungent smelling blocked sinks in the bathroom, dirty bedrooms, frayed bathrobes and towels with big holes in them, a man mowing the golf course at 7am, awful 3 course dinner (well ok, dessert had a thumbs up), terrible service at the Spa which itself was so busy that it was not a relaxing experience at all. Other grumbles include the hot buffet breakfast which in fact was stone cold, and if you get a twin room, then be prepared for the tiniest, 2ft width single bed. I'm a small lady and even i managed to fall off a couple of times when turning over.

I think I have learnt my lesson not to go back to this place again, no matter how cheap the offer, as it's just been run to the ground. Its a shame really as it used to be such a lovely hotel/spa experience.

It's certainly in need of some cash to sort itself out and get rid of those skanky bathrobes and towels at least, for god's sake!

Room Tip: Don't get a room across from the golf course as its pretty noisy with cars/delivery vans and peo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Deepa 1

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review.

I was very sorry and concerned to read that despite visiting Whittlebury Hall several times previously you have not enjoyed your stays. Have you discussed any of these issues and previous disappointments with any member of Management? - We would always encourage the opportunity to discuss any dissatisfaction at the time so that we can of course ensure our guests leave happy and wanting to return. Your feedback is invaluable to us and our efforts to continually improve our service and facilities. We do also take on board comments and I can assure you that areas have been improved following such feedback from our guests.

Unfortunately with the current economic climate, packages have become very good value and we feel without any standards dropping.

Since November 2011 the Directors have indeed invested lots of cash into the property and continue to do so. For example we are currently refurbishing all of our Management Training, Conference and Function rooms and facilities - as a leisure guest I appreciate this is an area that you will not necessary notice. However, improvements have also been spent in the Spa with new soft furnishings, treatment room upgrades and new state of the art massage pedicure stations, the Leisure Club has had new carpeting within the gym area and also new soft furnishings throughout as well as additional sun loungers around the pool. In the Bar areas we have purchased new outdoor seating areas for the several courtyards and the Silverstone Bar has been recarpeted back in July 2012. Also in July we have updated our Club rooms and include duvets and upgraded snacks and toiletries. A room project is planned for 2013.

We have already discussed our bath robes and towels with the Laundry Company and we are in the process of gradually replacing towels and robes.

The Spa has become more popular over the years and is one of the largest hotel spa's in the country. We are therefore able to accommodate the larger groups and a larger amount of guests that other smaller, bespoke Spa's and Health Farms cannot accommodate. Since your visit the Spa has also won the Good Spa Guide's best Spa in the Midlands.

The breakfast should indeed be served hot and if you are unhappy with any meal then the Restaurant Manager will be more than happy to resolve this at the time.

I do hope that you will be kind enough to reconsider and visit us again in the future when I can assure you that your needs will be carefully taken care of.

I
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

OMG - how they can class this place as 'Spa' is a joke! We went during the week, thinking it would be quite - HA! I never thought I would have to queue/wait to get into a jacuzzi! This place was rammed and I was sooooo disappointed! I had heard such great things from friends over the years but they seem to have become a spa machine - churning through as many customers as they can con to go in. Eevn my back massage felt rushed - they ask you to write yor feed back there and then with them sweetly smiling at you - felt very uncomfortable and pressured to write the right thing!
We had to wait 30min to be served a drink in the enormous waiting room! Our room was a good 10minute trek from the lobby! Food was ok. Nobody had though to tell us breakfast would be over by 9am! Luckily we bumped in management and they got us in - but it was very rushed as they began to pack everything away.
Not impressed, we thought it was a good price for a night stay and 2 days at a spa with a treatment but I would rather pay the same amount and go somewhere else just for a day at a spa. I came away not feeling relaxed at all - is this not the sole point of going to a spa. I can't imagine anyone writing a positive review based on our experience and have no idea why anyone would be a member her paying huge amounts to share it with daily visitors on cheap deal!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear HannahLB

Thank you for your review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in February 2012.

I am sorry to read that your experience did not meet your personal expectations, it is also disappointing for a hospitality business not to be given the opportunity to discuss and listen to your concerns at the time - perhaps if we had have had this time you would have left feeling more positive about your day!

Whittlebury Hall is a large property with 212 bedrooms and with one of the largest hotel spa's in the country. We are therefore able to accommodate the larger groups that smaller health farms and spa's cannot accommodate and is a sociable and fun spa. Since your visit the Spa has proudly won the Good Spa Guide's best Spa in the Midlands - a fantastic acoloade, beating such competition as Ragdale Hall, Champney's and Centre Parcs.

Following a treatment we ask guests for their genuine, honest feedback on the whole aspect of the treatment - reliable comments are invaluable in our efforts to continually improve the quality of our guest service.

The 212 bedrooms are located on two floors with lifts located throughout the hotel and accessable from the Leisure Club and Spa as well. I am most sorry if you found the room to be a little distant.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and comments.

Bishop's stortford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Booked two nights as it was my wife's birthday. Reception staff both at check in and check out were very pleasant with a smile on both occaisions. Room was fair and the bathroom quite large. Discovered the water draining away from the shower to be very slow indeed, Also spotted two cracked and loose tiles at the entrance to the shower which I suspect related to the same problem. Reported this to the lady at reception on check out day who made a written note and said they would get hotel maintenance to rectify and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. No big deal but important standards are kept up. 1st night dinner met Marchin the Polish waiter. Why are serving staff not all like him - he was brilliant in looking after us. The food was OK but not something to write home about. 2nd night much better and we insisted we were served by Marchin again. Breakfast on both days was only fair, first day they ran out of eggs and a queue developed. Breakfast staff not as good as their evening colleagues. Overall my wife enjoyed being away from our businesses: Melvyn Rutter, The Morgan Garage & The PitStop Boutique Hotel. Nice break and celebration.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear morgangarage

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased that overall you and your wife enjoyed your break away at Whittlebury Hall recently. Thank you for your kind comments and valued feedback which has been duly noted and passed on to the relevant Managers.

It is good to read that Marchin looked after you both evenings and your compliments have been forwarded to Marchin and his Manager. Thank you.

I do hope that you will be kind enough to visit us again in the future, when I can assure you that your needs will be carefully taken care of.

Newport Pagnell, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We didn't stay in the hotel overnight, but tripadvisor doesn't separate the hotel from the spa in their reviews. We visited whittlebury hall spa today as part of their summer 2 for 1 offer on the day spa and were really disappointed. I visited a few years ago and enjoyed it (perhaps it seemed better because I wasn't paying!) but the service seems to have really gone downhill. First of all, we arrive and are handed packs with our name on, and hurriedly told where to go. The place is a confusing maze of rooms and almost identical lockers, and it was tricky to work out where to go. I had to return to reception twice to confirm the location of my locker! When I found the lockers, I had been told that all the lockers would have a clean robe and towel in - however most of the lockers were empty. I managed to find a robe in one and a towel in the other. I then had problems locking it - on 3 lockers it didn't work. I asked a member of staff, who treated me like I was an idiot, only to find that she couldn't lock it either. She shrugged and said 'try another'. Luckily on my fourth attempt I found a locker that worked. Also, when filling in medical questionnaires you have to sign to confirm that you have suitable footwear (otherwise you must purchase slippers for £5 at reception). Nowhere did it state what counted as suitable, and when we asked we were told any footwear is fine but we had to have footwear (do they think we arrived barefoot?). Unfortunately, a customer before us had told reception that she hadn't brought any additional footwear (she was wearing ballet pumps that were clean) and was told that she could buy some. This poor customer was effectively tricked into handing over money because the footwear policy is not clear enough.
Upon closer inspection of our paperwork, we also realised that despite our bookings being made at the same time, my lunch time was down as 1pm whilst my partner's said 12pm. The receptionist said she would change it for us, but when we arrived at the restaurant she hadn't bothered.
The pool area was nice (although the pool is uncomfortably shallow), and the hydrotherapy pool and heat and ice experience was ok too, but very busy meaning we had to wait around to find space in the pool, sauna and steam rooms. A warning: the chlorine here is so strong that I can't seem to scrub the smell off of my skin, and my eyes were very irritated all day! The heat and ice was slightly disappointing because whilst the sauna was fine, the ice cave had no ice. There's a bowl that is supposed to be full of ice, but the ice machine was feebly spitting out ice chips which would quickly melt before it could spit any more out. Lunch was difficult to find (again) and disappointing. A few cheap pasta dishes, cold cut meats, vegetables and some curried chicken. The soup, however, was delicious (sweet potato and chili).
We spent the afternoon in the pools, which were much quieter by then, and had a cream tea in the terrace cafe (£8 for a small pot of tea, two of the tiniest scones you've ever seen and some jam and cream) before leaving. You'd think we'd be feeling quite relaxed after spending the day in the spa. Perhaps we were until we tried to leave the car park - there's a coded barrier - you need a passcode to exit. And the buzzer to speak to reception was broken! What a nightmare!!! Considering that this place is designed to chill you out, I'm amazed that I feel more stressed now than I did yesterday!

Room Tip: Spend your money elsewhere! Believe me - you're not getting a bargain!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Steph L

Thank you for your recent review.

I was very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your visit to the Day Spa and apologise for the difficulties and frustrations you experienced.

The day you experienced is certainly not typical of the excellent hospitality, fantastic facilities with good value for money that we offer and I am sorry if the day did not meet your expectations. Since your visit, the Spa has won the Good Spa Guide's best Spa for the Midlands.

I am most sorry that there was some confusion with your lockers and this of course should not have taken place. The lockers are all computerised and regrettably computer faults can sometimes occur. The towels and robes should have been in the lockers ready for your arrival, if the locker was open and empty, perhaps another guest took what they believed to be spare towels and robes.

With regard to the footwear, we request that guests wear 'suitable footwear - slippers or flip flops.

The lunch times should have been scheduled at the same time and I am most sorry for this human error.

We carry out water checks throughout the day to ensure the chemical levels are within guidelines - as is the case. If ever the level was lower or higher than these recommended levels then the appropriate pool would be closed until the level was correct - this however, has rarely has had to happen! There are signs up requesting that guests do shower prior to entering the pool, jacuzzi or hydrotherapy pool as perfumes, make up etc can affect chemical levels.

The Ice Cave produces it's own ice throughout the day - the bowl of ice is indeed meant to be small chips of ice, that guests can then rub onto their skin!

I am sorry if you were unhappy with the buffet lunch. We do feel that there is a wide variety of choice and of course guests can visit the buffet counter as many times as they wish during their lunch.

Upon checking out of the Day Spa then guests are given the car park code.

It is a shame that you did not feel you could bring any of these disappointments to the attention of the Spa Manager on the day. Lindsey and her team would have more than happy to discuss your issues to ensure that you left happy and wanting to return. I do hope that you would be kind enough to reconsider and visit us again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This was my 5th and definitely my final visit to the hotel and spa. After a very successful visit here in 2008, we decided to return regularly. However, each visit has worsened each time, to the point of it becoming laughable. A very disappointing visit 2years ago, took 8mths to resolve. And the customer services manager 'Ruth H' offered us a free upgrade on our next visit, which meant we had to boom again, to get our compensation....very clever lol. This visit wasn't too bad. So in June my friends and I returned for 2 nights. To say disaster, is an understatement. We booked 2 double rooms, but one bed was barely bigger than a single. When we complained to the manager, his response "the bed isn't sold as double....but the room"....how incredible....does this mean they could put a cot in there? My friend wanted to try this hotel, so we visited on thur 16th Aug. We were coming far, so was told I could request my treatments after 2pm. On arrival at 11:30am, we were met by Haley who said our massage was at 12. We explained we had only jus come and needed time to settle and had booked after 2pm. She said "well youv got 12pm, what's your problem"....how rude. I could go on with more, but have had enough. My advice....avoid at all costs. Barbara Dashouri

• Stayed August 2012
louruth, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear dashouri

Thank you for your recent review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall.

Having stayed with us on numerous visits I am sorry and concerned to read that you have been disappointed with your stays. I am aware that you discussed one unhappy stay direct with me back in 2009 and I am pleased that you then went on to have an enjoyable stay in 2011.

I was sorry to read however that you were then unhappy with your stay in June. The double beds are standard size although we do have 'zip and link' beds, which are bigger. The Duty Manager did offer to move you to a twin bedded room, however I understand that this was declined by you and your friend.

I understand your disappointment that your treatments were not till after 2pm as requested, although we will always endeavour to do our best, unfortunately however, we cannot always guarantee treatment times and requestes, as was the case in August. This is explained in the confirmation letter and on the Preparing For Your Visit.

Ms Dashouri, thank you for your feedback and I do hope that perhaps one day you will be kind enough to re-consider and visit us again.

Oundle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Not a nice start to my stay with an unsmiling receptionist who spoke so fast I had to ask her to start again,she wasn't happy.I need to stay in this hotel twice a year because of its very excellent exhibition facilities and it has to be said congratulations to the exhibition staff.
Unfortunately the bedrooms unbelievably do not have air-con so do not stay in this hotel if the weather is anywhere near warm because you will have a very uncomfortable stay.On my two nights there the weather was very warm so I was given a large fan for the bedroom that needed to be on all night,it sounded like a helicopter was landing all night.There is no extractor fan in the bathrooms so after a shower you will need another.The hotel is built cheaply,you can hear the person in the next room when they go to the loo.The towels in the bathroom were very cheap and old with frayed edges I would rub down our dog with.[oh forgot,we haven't got a dog now]
The buffet breakfast is never hot and I am always one of the first down for breakfast.I tire of mentioning these points to the hotel but nothing happens.As a good example, the shaver point in room 105 has not been fixed for over 6months[my last visit].Someone had to rush out to B&Q to get a three pin plug for a shaver.!!!

The hotel looks great,it stands well in its grounds but oh what a disappointment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tony B

Thank you for your recent review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall.

I am very sorry and concerned to read that you are disappointed with your visits to Whittlebury Hall and would be more than happy to discuss your issues further - we wish to ensure our guests are happy at all times and I am alarmed that you remain frustrated with some issues.

I understand that as part of the IMC event you do have to stay with us and I understand that you request Room 105 on every visit and this request is fulfilled. Although room 105 is a lovely, quiet double room overlooking the courtyard, perhaps a different room would give more air flow and be cooler for you - happy to look into this further for you, ready for your next event.

The shaving point should indeed have been working and our Maintenance Manager is looking into this further I am satisfied that an adaptor was provided for you so that you could use the facility.

There is of course no excuse for rudeness although the Front Office team do receive many compliments on their pleasantness and helpfulness. I am pleased that the Conference and Events team are as helpful as ever and your kind compliments have been passed on to Craig and his team.

The buffet breakfast items should of course be hot and I am surprised that you still continue to have cold food - I can assure you that this is certainly not typical.

As mentioned already I would be more than happy to discuss matters further with you either prior to your next visit or during your stay.

Kind regards, Ruth

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!