“Great food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 33 restaurants in Towcester
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Folly Inn is situated in a beautiful location surrounded by rolling countryside on the A5 opposite Towcester racecourse. The original building dates back to the mid 1700's and is the quintessential thatched English inn, full of character and understated style. But the Folly is not really a pub at all! It's a destination venue for those looking for exceptionally good and innovative cuisine. Head chef David Horak sources local ingredients where possible and uses them in imaginative dishes based on great British classics with a contemporary twist. All food is cooked to order from fresh ingredients in our own kitchens. The cosy and intimate bar area serves an excellent range of beers. Wines and local ales as well as freshly brewed hot beverages. At peak periods, this area may be restricted for the use of diners only. To the rear of the building the beer garden offers a secluded and safe area away from the main road. An ideal space for families and those with their four legged companions! On fine days al fresco dining is available here. Easy to find, ample car parking for up to thirty vehicles and easy access makes The Folly Inn is an ideal place to meet up and dine with friends, family and colleagues.
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went for Sunday lunch. We had starters main course and two had room for a pud. All food is freshly cooked, so don't expect a quick in and out. It is a place to relax and enjoy food and company. We will be going again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
Northampton
“First visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have just returned from our first visit to The Folly and we had a super meal. The food was very well cooked and served on hot plates a real treat these days. Everything was well seasoned and all parts of our meal was delicious. We will definitely return soon don't let it get too popular so we can come again and enjoy another evening with wonderful food and a nice selection of wine at The Folly. Great attentive chef keep on cooking!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northampton, United Kingdom
“More Pub Grub than Gastro Dining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Thought we would give it a whirl since re-opening. Didn't think much to the decor since the sign outside states Gastro Dining. I suppose I expected a little more.

We ordered steak and mushroom pie with chips and the daily special of wild mushroom ravioli with asparagus. The pie was huge and quite nice but the chips looked better than they tasted in that they looked crispy and possibly fluffy inside - they were not.

The pasta dish was quite nice and the garlic bread accompaniment good. I think the creamy sauce was a little sickly and could possibly have benefited from a squeeze of lemon to balance it but that's just my opinion.

Service wasn't anything to write home about and we weren't even asked if the meal was ok which was a shame since I found two hairs on my plate.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Robert J, Owner at The Folly Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I am so sorry that you were disappointed on your recent visit to the Folly. We are a new business striving to be the very best that we can with the somewhat limited resources that can be expected of a small business. But like any new venture, we can’t always get it right.

However, ALL feedback from Tripadvisor is gratefully received, and where appropriate acted upon immediately. As such I thank you for taking the time for your feedback.

I do hope that you will visit us again and I hope too that your experience next time is more in line with that of the majority of our customers who have found the standard of food and service to be exceptional.
Towcester, England, United Kingdom
“are we reviewing the same folly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

after reading the review by Mrs Jam we did not know what to expect when we arrived thursday evening and after leaving we were even more confused did we eat in the same Folly as them the food was superb beautifully presented and tasted as good as it looked the staff could not do enough for you a great experience we would recommend this restaurant to anyone we will return

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sibford Gower, United Kingdom
“OK food, terrible service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We visited The Folly Inn with friends after reading such good reviews. We were so disappointed with our experience!
We visited for Sunday lunch and had the reasonably priced 3 courses for £16.95. We were seated on a tiny table! Starters were ok, my crispy poached egg was a little greasy and my husband had the soup, which was delicious but enormous, far too big for a starter. Main courses came, 2 of us had lamb, the other 2 had beef. My lamb was ok, my husbands was a little tough and we both thought that one slice was a little on the mean side. Vegetables were served with no spoons and we also had to ask for horseradish sauce even though the mint sauce and cranberry sauce (did someone order turkey?) was brought over to the table without us asking. The waitress really didn't seem like she could be bothered! Cauliflower cheese was delicious but tiny for 4 people. Service was very slow. Not once during the starter or the main did anyone come to check to see if everything was ok or if we needed any more drinks. Two other tables had eaten their entire meals by the time our mains were cleared by someone who I assume was the owner.
And then we waited and waited and waited. The table was cleared but nobody thought to offer us dessert or another drink. We sat there for over an hour. Tables that were seated after us were having their desserts and leaving. Were we invisible? Eventually one of our party had to go to the bar to ask if they had forgotten about us. A waiter brought over the menu and asked 'Oh were you too full after the main courses?' No, nobody asked if we wanted one!!!!! As well as desserts we ordered drinks, the first once since we were seated at the start of the meal. Desserts came, my husband and a friend ordered the rhubarb crumble, down on the menu as apple crumble, seriously, the menu is a printed piece of A4. Would it be too difficult to print off some more menus with the correct dessert rather than disappoint people? We only knew it was rhubarb crumble because we had heard the waiter tell the table next to us, the waiter neglected to tell us. When the crumble and custard came it was on a curved plate with no lip so needless to say when the custard was poured onto the plate it ran off the side and onto the table. I had the banana and toffee pie which was ok. I'm not quite sure how it takes longer to prepare 4 drinks then 3 desserts but the drinks came about 5 mins after the food! And to overcompensate for not clearing the table after the main course, the dessert plates were cleaned before I had even finished mine!!!! We finally got the bill after nearly 4 hours in the restaurant, 4 hours for 3 courses!!!!! Good job it gave us chance to catch up with friends who we hadn't seen for years!
We paid the bill which was quite reasonable. The owner/manager and none of the staff didn't even bother to say goodbye as we walked out.
Needless to say we probably won't return.

Visited May 2013
Robert J, Owner at The Folly Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Mrs Jam

I was so terribly sorry to read of your disappointment following your recent visit to The Folly. We take all visitors comment very seriously and would like to thank you for your lengthy review.

I was surprised by your comments on the shoulder of lamb being tough as this had been slow roasted for twelve hours. It was so tender and delicate that we had to slice it thickly to prevent it falling apart, hence only one slice. Personally I love this dish and I am so sorry that you didn’t find it appealing. The slow roasting is a technique that we use a great deal particularly on a Sunday and the vast majority of customers seem to really appreciate the lengths that we go to with this.

I have to confess that I had noticed that your party had been sitting for some time after the main course but I had mistakenly assumed that you were enjoying the relaxed environment as you were all heavily engrossed in conversation with each other. But it was certainly remiss of me and my staff for not occasionally checking whether you required anything.

I certainly agree that I should have reprinted the menu showing that the crumble was rhubarb and not apple. I had intended to do so once the error was discovered but by that time, we were so busy that I couldn’t get away to the office.

We are a new business trying very hard to create a unique and special product which is all but missing in Towcester and the surrounding area. As with any new venture, we are still learning. All of the points raised in this review have been investigated and discussed with my staff. We will endeavour to improve where we identify genuine failings.

I would so very much appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate to you how good the experience can (and should always!) be at The Folly. With that in mind, we would love the opportunity to demonstrate to you the high standard of food and service that we have become known for. Should you wish to return, please make yourself known to me (Robert) so that I can personally oversee your table.

Once again many thanks for your time, and my sincere apologies for any failings on our part.

Robert