“Great fun for any would be Lewis Hamilton!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Race Car Tracks, Theaters & Stadiums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Leyland, United Kingdom
“Great fun for any would be Lewis Hamilton!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Booked a last minute experience to drive a racing car on 9th March. We have been to Silverstone before and I have driven both a Lamborghini and these racing cars, but on the shorter 'thrill' version.
On previous occasions, there have been quite a few 'supercars' being driven around the main track, but on this occasion, the track was empty. Shame, as we usually spend some time watching and listening to the various exotica being thrashed!
You get an extensive tuition session in a classroom before driving, which is very informative. Once completed, you are given a helmet and gloves, then you are shown to your car. The track itself is the specially designed Stowe Circuit, which allows these racing cars to demonstrate their sheer cornering grip without going at speeds which would probably see us mere mortals having a rather large accident!
At first, you follow the pace car at no more than approx 30mph, where you learn the cornering lines. The pace car gradually sppeds up before you return to the pits, to be let loose on your own.
After a few laps, you really start to build confidence in the car, braking later and pushing the limits of grip available. Certainly brings a smile to your face. All too soon, your drive is over and you return to the pits. The instructor then presented us all with a list of all our lap times.
I had paid extra to have my drive recorded, but unfortunately, the USB stopped working half way through my drive, so it missed my best laps. After complaining to Silversone, at first they said they would probably reimburse me the cost of the USB, but then they contacted me to say they would like me to go back and do my drive again. To say I am pleased with the outcome is an understatement!
Well done Silverstone.
Thoroughly enjoyed the original day out, can't wait for the return.

Visited March 2014

8 attraction reviews
“A Thrilling Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This experience was bought for me for my birthday (august) by my girlfriend. We eventually got it booked and attended this month.
It could not have been better When we arrived we were told that they had to put me back an hour due to track maintainence, to kill some time they offered me a passenger ride in an Aston Martin V8 which was brilliant.
Then the breifing started, and the first thing the instructor said was we couldn't have a better day for this, there was only 3 drivers on track so we had plenty of space, the sun was shining and the track was dry.
After a couple of laps behind the pace car we were let loose, the other two drivers had remembered the blue flag meaning and we all stayed out of trouble.
Einstein stated the faster you go the slower time goes......Bollocks, it was all over in the blink of an eye. Now i'm left Googling formula fords for sale and wishing i was rich!!
I would definately recommend this, just being at Silverstone the home of British racing was a thrill.

Manchester, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Bought this and another experience for my husbands 21st birthday. He LOVED it!
The 'experience' is much better value than the 'thrill' they get more time driving round the track.
Will definitely book more experiences in the future!

Visited March 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Wife's 50th Present”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I got the single seater experience for my wife for her 50th ,she is a F1 fan.
Her drive was booked for early afternoon but we got there a few hours before and watched others do their drives
.We took our own food and drink but they have a cafe at the Driving Experience Centre.
The staff where friendly and helpful and explained everything.
The whole experience takes about an hour which includes a briefing,laps behind safety car and laps without safety car.Helmet and gloves are supplied by the centre.
The single seater experience takes place on the inner Stowe circuit,while other cars use the outer main circuit.
Family and friends can can take photos on the grid until otherwise informed by the staff ,then can watch from an upper viewing area.After the drive an official photo[s] and disc of your drive can be purchased from the Centre.
The only minor point my wife was the only female out of 6 drivers and she felt it would be better to have some female only slots.

We took our own food but

Visited February 2014
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

A great experience. Got it bought as a gift and was a fantastic one. Brilliant for people who like motorsport.

Visited February 2014