“Great Day Out” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 12 Attractions in Towcester
Type: Horse Tracks, Casinos & Gaming
More attraction details
Owner description: Northamptonshire's Most Picturesque Conference, Wedding and Hospitality Venue"the thunder of flying hooves, the dazzling flash of colours. Come share in the excitement of the sport of kings "With a recent investment of over £7.5million into the course and its facilities, Towcester Racecourse and Conference Centre, set in beautiful parkland overlooking the rolling Northamptonshire countryside, is truly one of the most picturesque racing venues in the country.
Carmel, Indiana
12 attraction reviews
“Great Day Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great day at the races! Love the pork rolls!! Venue is easy to get to. Very clean - good beer available. Just a good fun day with the odd flutter!!

Visited March 2012

Wednesfield
14 attraction reviews
“Boxing Day Races”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Subject: Towcester Racecourse
Location: Towcester, Northamptonshire, England, United Kingdom, Europe
Title: A special day that was good but not as special as it should have been!
ID#: 148920923

On Boxing Day each year for many years my family and I entertained our parents. In the last twelve month my father and father in law both died, leaving us as orphans. Consequently, we wanted to do something completely different from what we'd done in previous years with our parents, when they were alive. My son came up with the idea of going to the races! What a great idea. I went racing once, about 35 years ago. My wife has been to Ladies day at Ascot a couple of times, my daughter has never been racing but my son has been racing several times in recent years. Looking on the internet, we decided, from the Boxing Day meetings taking place, that we would go to Towcester, travel there during the morning, book in a local hotel for the night afterwards and travel back home the following day.

The racecouse both recommended SMS travel although someone at the racecourse said they weren't very reliable and so it proved. Having promised on the saturday before Christmas, that they would be able to take us to the racecourse, I spoke to them on Christmas Eve and they said they could not. What prospect was there of find a taxi firm in a small town on Christmas Eve who would take a Boxing Day booking? I have to commend MB & B A T Cars (07540 653 064) who, at the last minute fulfilled the booking with great grace, punctuality and service. Its a shame Trip Advisor don't yet take reviews of taxi firms, this company would recieve a 5* review from us.

The arrangements at the Racecourse were a bit of a curates egg: good in parts. We made the booking in June, 2012 for four places in the hospitality suite. It was not cheap; we didn't ecpect it to be. Afterall, it was Boxing Day. Nonetheless, this was going to be a special day, the first Christmas we had without our parents. At the time of booking we were told that seats were not reserved and that we would need to be there early to ensure we could all sit together. Consequently, we made a vary precise note of the time when the gates would open, although in the time leading upto the day itself, that time changed three times. In the end, we were told that the gates would open at 10:30. We made a point of getting up early that day and travelling to the hotel in plenty of time to leave our car at the hotel and meet up with the taxi driver who would take us to the racecourse. The hotel were very accommodating and the taxi driver was on time and, with great humour, drove us to the course. Orrival, it was clear that we were far and away the first people there. The staff were receiving their briefing as we arrived and so we went in search of breakfast from one or more of the foodstalls that were setting up.

Eventually, we went back into the Empress Suite to find that places were allocated at each table and that we need not have arrived so early. The meal was being served from 12 noon and people were arriving at that time and later. Our early morning start had not been necessary.

We booked our places in June. At the beginning of December we received information about the menu and were ask to make our selections. We were surpised to find that there was one vegetarian choice and one meat choice. The first course was a pea terrine for both vegetarian and meat options, the difference was that the meat option had ham hock pieces and the vegetarian option was with a fruit coulis topping (I think). Knowing that my family do not eat peas I asked if other options were available. I was told that since this was the busiest meeting of the year it wasv stretching catering resources to the limit and therefore necessary for peoplke to book in advance. In my experience, that's true of most catering establishments at Christmas-time, nonetheless most place find it possible to offer more than one alternative. In the circumstances, we asked if there were alternative starters available. We were told that thewr would be tomato and basil soup and smoked salmon and trout roulade available as options. One of my party ordered the soup, the rest of us ordered the roulade. On the day, we informed the staff that we had booked alternative starters. They brought us soup as requested but those of us who had ordered roulade were served the terrine. I asked the waiter if this was roulade and was told that it was. I queried their response and was told that roulade was not available. The only alternative would be the soup. So, reluctantly, we accepted that alternative.

The remainder of the day passed without incident except that, having ordered New Zealand Sauvignon, unknowingly, we were served Chablis. We were not shown the wine before it was served and placed in a chiller. However, having signed only for Sauvignon, I was surprised later to receive the bill which included the extra charge for the Chablis.

Overall, we had a good day but largely because of what we made it ourselves. In our grief, we were determined to enjoy ourselves. There is no doubt that the idea to go to the races was a good one. However, next year it won't be Towcester.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great day out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

A fun filled day - no complaints! Highly recommended! Went there as part of a hen-do. Drink were very reasonably priced and the food was pretty good too!

Visited November 2012
Northampton, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Good Day Out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Good Day out enjoyed the time spent here, too easy to bet too much though so as long as you go with an amount in mind and dont go over.

Northampton, England, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
“recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

5 star, table service, 3 course meal with afternoon tea.

expensive but you get what you pay for.

its in the empour suite and over looks the race course.

you can sit with others or with a couple.