“Nothing to write home about” 3 of 5 stars

The Hind Hotel
Sheep Street, Wellingborough NN8 1BY, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wellingborough
Newark, England
“Nothing to write home about”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

stayed for two nights on business , hotel is shabby, room was OK at best. poor decor and fittings especially in the bathroom. they must have the most complicated bathroom tap ever invented.
Car park hold 10 vehicles max. dont expect to get in there in anything larger than an estate car either.
Bar area is shoddy with seemingly suspect clientle

Plusses: breakfast was good and fresh, not the usual buffet style, warmed up stuff.
Overall, i will stay at an alternative next time. Sorry.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I recently held a conference at this hotel for approximately 25 people. The hotel went out of their way to make us feel welcome and accomodate our needs. They set out the room exactly how I specified and were willing to go the extra mile to make sure the day was a success. Fantastic experience. Thank you.

Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Stayed here for one night, this had been booked by my company and there was a group of us staying here. The small car park was full when we got there but we were able to park on the road outside.
The staff were friendly, we ate at the hotel as we were on DBB board and it was surprisingly good. My room was warm and clean, and quite large, Bathroom dated but again clean and functional, Had a good night’s sleep in a clean comfy bed a car alarm went off that did disturb me but not that’s not the hotels fault. Rate was corporate and a good deal.
The hotel was built in then 1600 and has been updated at every century from then, it needs to embrace its, history in any future development.

Malaga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed at the Hind Hotel for 3 nights in the middle of Feb. we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Our only complaint was that our room was TOO hot and had to ask for the heating to be turned down. Which was done with no fuss. the hotel is situated in the town centre so is convenient for shopping and all amenities. We chose this hotel because we would not have a car and we would be able to walk to visit my daughter.If you choose a town centre hotel, then you must accept a certain amount of noise (which in fact we didn't get); life is full of compromises.
The breakfast was excellent.

Some people will winge just for the sake of it, but we found that the staff actually went 'the extra mile'.

On the last night a family get together which had been arranged for somewhere else went belly up, I phoned the Hotel and spoke to the duty manager (Jackie) and explained that I was looking for somewhere for 18 hungry souls to eat. Her reply was positive and 15 mins later we arrived to find everything was set out ready for us. A good evening was had by all. I found out later that the chef had actually gone off duty because it was so quiet, but had been recalled just to cater for us.
In these hard times I call that service and enterprise of the highest standard, well done and VERY much appreciated.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I chose the Hind Hotel as it is located in the town centre, handy for shops and resturants.First impresions were good and as the weeks went by all seemed good. Then little cracks began to show. The night porter emptying the bottle bins at 04.30 hrs and the street sweeper outside my window at 05.00 hrs not the morning wake up alarm I was expecting. The hotel offers parking - not on your nelly unless you have a white van, I was never able to safely park my car in the carpark.The other attraction as a business traveller was the free WFI- I gave up with endless £10,00 deposits, I never managed to make a connection in either of the six different rooms I had, the staff were quite open to the fact that it didn't work !!! The rooms are dated and the cleaning staff must be short as the top of wardrobes are disgstingly thick with dust !!! More than once I found the water took a long time to drain from the bath, probably due to the visible gunk in the plug hole. Fast approaching the winter season, I found that the heating was very poor the further you are from the reception area, I measured this by feeling the main pipes as I got closer to reception. One of the rooms I had was freezing and no option to adjust the radiator.Then to top it all I awoke one morning with not hot water, this appeared to be a failure at the boiler end, great start to the day !!!!! the receptionist knocked some money off the bill, no conselation to me as my company pays for my accomodation. The hotel is a period building but dated decor inside in need of TLC, I was staying during the reception facelift, painting and decorating, a warm welcoming for any paying guest or wedding party.Then the straw that broke the cammels back... another morning with no hot water... and yes another few quid knocked off the bill. Though the staff are friendly when they can be found ( too much job sharing between bar and reception) on several occasions the bookings were not as they should be, a bit of miss communication. I did receive a call form the manager / owner regarding my experience and he actually asked me not to post anything on this site. He also told me he would call me back to disuss further..................................................still waiting .......It is a small price to pay just for the basics, hot water, comfortable bed, clean room the Premier Inn does this every time at a reasonable cost !!!!!I won't be back to the HIND.....ERENCE !

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Top notch ,dont have 2 say mutch more + the food in the bar was wonderfull ,recomend the chicken pie and mash.AND a very Nice pint of cask ale.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Northamptonshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We were in Wellingborough doing some shopping on Saturday 5 November when we decided to look for somewhere to get lunch. We do not go to Wellingborough very often so did not have any clue where to go when we saw Ollies Bistro with a big poster advertising that they serve sausages from Sauls of Spratton who we know are good butchers. As it part of the Hind Hotel we thought we would try it and hopefully have a good lunch. We also noticed it had 4 stars for hygiene.

We went inside and there were 3 tables free out of the 12 in there although they all needed clearing. We sat down at one table and one of the young women who were serving instead of clearing our table cleared another one so we got up and moved to that one. At that point we should have walked out as it turned out it was a forerunner of worse to come.

The menus were all thin card, dirty, soggy in some cases and tatty (why on earth do establishments think it is ok not to change them regularly or else have laminated ones so at least they can be cleaned?). The young girl who we later learned was in fact training took our order. She didn't know whether they had decaff coffee and had to ask. Surely as someone being trained she should have been brought up to speed with what they serve?

In the next 10 or so mins that followed we watched as orders came out and still no drinks. The couple behind us had to complain that they had not received their drinks even though they had almost finished their food, the couple next to us who had been there 20 minutes without their table being cleared or their order taken had to shout across to the young girl to get her to come and take their order. In addition to this a group of four arrived but as no one took their order they left. All while this was going on the other girl who was serving and supposedly was her trainer was no where to be seen as she had gone into the hotel. She should have not left this girl on her own. I am quite sure that she would have realised that this young girl did not have a clue. It was ridiculous.

I went up to the counter to complain about not receiving our drinks and I also stated to both of them that this girl really ought to have some training. At which point the girl with dark hair scowled at me and said that she was getting training. As I was walking away I clearly heard her say that she didn't know why I had been so rude (and the reason I heard this by the way was because you could hear a pin drop in that place, not conducive to having a relaxing lunch when everyone can hear what you say!!)

When this girl brought our drinks over I challenged her over this and she said that she thought I had been rude as I had said in front of the young girl. I found her response uncalled for, offensive, rude and offhand. Has she never heard the phrase "the customer is always right" when you are talking about the hospitality trade. I asked if there was a manager about and she simply said no. There was no mention of what I needed to do if I was unhappy with aspects of their service etc.

We ate our food which was very average, the coffee was greasy and could not be drunk. While we were eating someone else went to the counter with a scone that they said they could not eat as the bottom was burnt. We then went to pay and no apology was given.

Are people blissfully unaware that they are missing a marketing opportunity each time they give poor service or have a bad attitude like this particular waitress. Had we had a good lunch and good service we would have found a regular place to return to and therefore they would have had more trade. We would also have told friends about it as we have quite a network of people who are always on the lookout for places that serve good food.

Thoroughly disappointed but thank goodness for Tripadvisor so we can stop others from making the same mistakes as us.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Hind Hotel? Share your experiences!