“Not what it says on the tin!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Stags Head

The Stags Head
1 High St, Great Doddington | Wellingborough Northants, Wellingborough NN29 7TQ, England
+44 1933 222316
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: European, Asian, British, Pub
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Stag's Head is a stone built Traditional Village Pub & Restaurant, serving home cooked food 7 days a week plus all day Saturday & Sunday. Our menu can be found online. We cater all day Sunday with our full menu plus a choice of four roasts. Celebrations, Business lunches and wakes. Are our speciality. We also have a Snack, Gluten & Dairy Free Menus available. Our team of Chef's try and source all our ingredients locally where possible.
lancashire
“Not what it says on the tin!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went here for family dinner last night and ordered iceberg wedge for starter - came out as a lettuce leaf which was not as it was described on the menu - very poor value in fact.

Ordered salmon with chips and salad garnish - it arrived with peas and the potatoes of the day which I didn't want - to be fair they bought out some chips and a side salad but just wanted what I ordered. My sister ordered the pork with crispy crackling but that arrived with soft pale pieces of fat and looked gross - she ordered it because she wanted crispy crackling.

We were offered free dessert or coffee but had decided before we ate that none of us wanted a dessert or coffee so refused. Would have been nice to have had something knocked off the bill but that didn't happen. We didn't leave a tip as we were quite disappointed with the whole eating experience. Will not be rushing back there.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
The-Stags-Head, Manager at The Stags Head, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review and bringing these points to our attention. Our Chef's have been informed & we can now try our best to make sure we learn from it.

Many Thanks

“Magnificent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Been to this lovely place quite a few times with my family and every time I leave satisfied. The food is delicious and always well presented, the staff are lovely and polite and presentable. The place itself is warm and friendly with an open fire. The prices are considerably low for the quality of the food, many of my family members have returned since our initial trip. Very impressed overall, tip top service!

The-Stags-Head, Manager at The Stags Head, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Many thanks for your lovely comments, we try our best to look after our customers as if they were family & it's so nice to be able to pass great comments on to our team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

The Stags Head
“Well past it's sell by date”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Took my elderly Aunt here for lunch. There was a stale smell mixed with fish pervading the air. Place looked quite clean but very very dated. Closer inspection revealed well worn furnishings The tables were sticky and tatty Ours had patches of varnish missing I wanted to leave but my Aunt had been told the food was lovely so I gave in. I wished I had stuck to my guns!! The staff were attentive and took our order.
The food was boring I imaginative and GROSSLY overpriced I had a salmon salad I imagined a colouful plate of mixed leaves rocket cherry toms peppers avocado new potatoes etc. I got a bed of wet iceberg ( horrible) topped with a rectangle of cold salmon, a grey hard boiled egg a huge dollop of coleslaw all garnished with slices of orange!! Five minutes in a dish of luke warm shrivelled potatoes (I think) was delivered They appeared to have been deep fried- never a good idea with the skins on and were swimming in an inch of oil the chopped pepper/onion garnish had disintegrated and stewed down to a grey brown mush. Totally disgusting and inedible. This meal was about £13.00!!!
My aunt had fish chips and mushy peas. The batter had presumably been crispy at some point but by the time it arrived it was deflated and soggy. Like my new potatoes it was also very dark so either over cooked or the oil needed changing. The chips were hard and undercooked Not much you can say about the peas. We were offered plastic sachets of condiments which neither of us could open. Totally ok for a greasy spoon but not in a restaurant This meal was around £12.00
For the price the owners should be offering far better or charging half the price
I will never return

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to review The Stags Head, all comments are taken on board & we endeavour to learn from them.

I personally served you this day & remember you well as your Aunt still eats with us frequently with other guests & seems to enjoy it. The smell of fish was in the air as we had just served smoked Haddock on one of the tables near to you and as you are probably aware this has quite a potent smell. Our Salads are usually a bit of a talking point as everyone is so impressed, so I do apologise this was not the case for yourself & the potatoes were actually baby new potatoes roasted in olive oil, onions & peppers.

When eating in the lounge bar we do serve sachets of sauces (and I specifically remember opening them for you as I saw you struggling) When eating in the Restaurant area sauces are served in ramekins and I did offer you a table in either area, you chose to sit in the bar.

Unlike many establishments these days we have locally sourced produce, which is almost all cooked on the premises by one of our fully qualified chef's and we are an Independent Pub & Restaurant not a part of a Managed pub chain.

Northampton
“Not the greatest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I visited the Stag for the first time in ages for lunch and to be honest I wasn't bowled over. It was quite expensive for what it is.

To be fair I haven't been for dinner which may be better so may give it a try one day.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for The Stags Head. Our Menu is very extensive & ranges in price from a £3.30 Bloomer Sandwich up to £21.00 Fillet Steak with lots of variety in between. We hope you return to try again some time as unlike many establishments these days we have locally sourced produce, which is almost all cooked on the premises by one of our fully qualified chef's.

finedon
“Not the best, but not the worst.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Called in on a very quiet sunday eve. Had roast beef dinner, it was OK ,but tasted like it had been heated up, loads of peas, small piece of watery cauliflower and a couple of green beans. Husband had chicken and with a cream cheese sauce, plenty of it an OK. Friendly staff.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
We appreciate your review and always pass all comments on to our team who endeavour to learn from your feedback. We hope to see you again soon.