“Five star food, great accommodation, top class hospitality.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We offer fantastic freshly made Italian food both from our kitchen and the wood fired oven in the restaurant. Our pizzas are made using home made dough and the finest italian ingredients mixed with the best local produce. They are simply fantastic. Fresh seafood is almost always available and seasonal game and the finest Yorkshire ingredients.
Derbyshire
“Five star food, great accommodation, top class hospitality.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

We stayed at Oswalds in February 2009 and would recommend it to anyone. The accommodation was good and very clean and the restaurant is probably the best in the area. Mark is a very good host and makes you feel very welcome and does as much as possible to make you feel comfortable during your stay. We stayed three nights and dined in the restaurant twice. Regrettably, however, we ventured out into Thirsk for a meal on the third night but were very disappointed as there is nothing to touch Oswalds for value and quality in the restaurant. I'd personally recommend the FIllet steak as mine was cooked perfectly. I asked for medium and, as expected it came pink in the middle and without watery blood oozing out, which is sometimes the case if the chef gets it wrong! It was tender, tasty and came with a melt in the mouth texture. Perfect! I couldn't complain about any of the food and I would definately eat here again. (try the sunblush tomato sausages!!) The service is attentive without being overbearing and you definatley get good value for money. Breakfast is very good too! As for the rooms, you'll not find a cleaner place to stay, the towels were changed every day with fresh toiletries, coffee, tea and drinking chocolate topped up each day too. The only thing they didn't replace were the biscuits but the food was so good anyway I probably wouldn't have been able to eat them!! I'm struggling to find anything wrong with our stay at Oswalds but if I'm pushed there was just one thing, the shower head kept falling down if the water pressure dropped - it wasn't a big problem because the pressure usually returned to g-force within a few seconds - I didn't complain about it because in the scheme of things it was insignificant however, if I had mentioned it I'm sure they would have sorted it out immediately. you get the feling they will do as much as they can to please you during your stay.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Teesside
“All That Jazz”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

We decided to try the Jazz night advertised on the Oswalds website. At £29 this included 4 courses and a glass of bucks fiz on arrival. We arrived just as the musicians were warming up and found the atmosphere relaxed and welcoming. Diners were seated in the lounge area, full of mismatched but highly comfortable plump armchairs and sofas, all awaiting their tables. Prior to arrival, diners were asked to pre-order their meal choice, which instantly set off alarm bells. Inexperienced caterers or highly organised kitchen? Well, it turned out to be the latter, albeit a little too organised. Upon being shown to our table, before we had chance to whip the pressed and folded cotton napkins out of the polished wine glasses, the first courses were staring us in the face. No time was allowed for us to settle in to the table and order drinks; at this point we were feeling hurried. We could see this was also being experienced by other diners, as guests tried to attract the attention of busy, food carrying waiting staff . Aside from this, starters were good; warm goats cheese tartlet; crab,prawn & crayfish salad and tomato soup; all adequate and well presented.
We asked for a break between starter and main as we could see other guests receiving their main courses the second their starter cutlery was laid to rest. Mains included sea bass with tiger prawns (very good) and mature sirloin with mustard crust and garlic. My only groan of the evening (and it was a big groan!), was my steak not being cooked to my liking despite having been returned to the kitchen. Insult was added to injury when the head waiter explained, " you know what chefs are like? they like to cook steaks their way". This infuriated me. After paying nearly £30, i would have preferred the steak cooked to my liking.
Another punctuation to the meal involved inquiring as to the whereabouts of the potatoes, which arrived half way through the meal.
Desserts were fine. House wine £5 a glass. Coffee served in the lounge area. A nice touch was a complimentary glass of peach schnapps. Sitting in the lounge also gave one the opportunity to browse several specials on the blackboard. I thought the waiting staff were prompt and well mannered, but the meal courses were despatched with nervous eagerness. I'd certainly return to dine again, but would skip the themed nights.
Food 7/10
Ambience 9/10
Waiting staff 10/10
Recommended

staffordshire
“a wonderful break!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

An immaculate hotel with very comfortable individual rooms. The staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The food was very good and well priced. The hotel is very well placed and it is very easy to walk into Thirsk and to the race course. Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, the staff really went out of their way to make sure our stay was great!